PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous Ricoh used vs HP new?

Custom Search

lurker1652
03-12-2021, 08:00 PM
Hello!, I need a MF unit for school use (8yo studying at home), and I've been offered two machines:

Ricoh Aficio MP C306 (they mentioned 3306, probably it was a typo), reaconditioned for us$ 532 and an HP M479FDW MFP for us$ 640.

Expected usage:
- copies
- printing from phone & laptops through WiFi
- Scan to share (NFS/CIFS?)

Which option will provide more value?

lurker1652
03-13-2021, 10:29 PM
Hello!, I need a MF unit for school use (8yo studying at home), and I've been offered two machines:

Ricoh Aficio MP C306 (they mentioned 3306, probably it was a typo), reaconditioned for us$ 532 and an HP M479FDW MFP for us$ 640.

Expected usage:
- copies

well, chose the Ricoh MP C306 machine, moving along...

SalesServiceGuy
03-13-2021, 11:30 PM
There could be costly consumable issues hidden inside the Ricoh. What is the black and colour meter read? You need to check if the optional wireless interface is included inside the copier. Then you have to figure out how to install it yourself and maintain it.

Is the HP in stock? The entire print industry has big supply chain issues right now especially in this price segment. Chances are the HP is on back order until June/July.

HP is likely to be more expensive to operate but both the Ricoh and the HP will be higher cost to operate at volume. You will have to figure out how to install the HP and maintain it yourself. HP does have the wireless card built in.

A new HP ships with 2,400 black and 2,100 colour pages at 5% coverage which means way less in reality. HP can have shortages of toner.

lurker1652
03-14-2021, 12:13 AM
There could be costly consumable issues hidden inside the Ricoh. What is the black and colour meter read? You need to check if the optional wireless interface is included inside the copier. Then you have to figure out how to install it yourself and maintain it.

Is the HP in stock? The entire print industry has big supply chain issues right now especially in this price segment. Chances are the HP is on back order until June/July.

HP is likely to be more expensive to operate but both the Ricoh and the HP will be higher cost to operate at volume. You will have to figure out how to install the HP and maintain it yourself. HP does have the wireless card built in.

A new HP ships with 2,400 black and 2,100 colour pages at 5% coverage which means way less in reality. HP can have shortages of toner.

This reseller has "compatible" toner for us$ 43. Got a set for a first replacement.

It doesn't have the WiFi module installed. Is there a "cost effective" way to get it?. Also read about optional features like OCR, File format converter and XPS output. Are those effectively licenses?

SalesServiceGuy
03-14-2021, 12:54 AM
This reseller has "compatible" toner for us$ 43. Got a set for a first replacement.

It doesn't have the WiFi module installed. Is there a "cost effective" way to get it?. Also read about optional features like OCR, File format converter and XPS output. Are those effectively licenses?

I do not sell Ricoh but I bet the WIFI kit if you can find it costs $500.00.

OCR feature add $300.00+

File format convertor - you probably do not need it.

XPS format - you do not need it.

Yes, these are probably licenses to unlock software already resident inside the copier.

Compatible colour toner. Bad choice.

lurker1652
03-14-2021, 04:45 AM

OCR feature add $300.00+

File format convertor - you probably do not need it.

XPS format - you do not need it.

Yes, these are probably licenses to unlock software already resident inside the copier.

Compatible colour toner. Bad choice.

Well that definitely doesn't sound cost effective. Found an ebay item for us$170, still not something I would like to pay for a WiFi interface.

Well, for the compatible toner, that was what they had and I was unsure of the included cartridge levels. I'll look for the original ones for next cycle. What happens with the compatible ones?, what makes them a bad choice?, color quality?, do they damage the machine?

sandmanmac
03-14-2021, 05:26 AM
Well that definitely doesn't sound cost effective. Found an ebay item for us$170, still not something I would like to pay for a WiFi interface.

Any off the shelf wireless range extender will suffice.
Connect it. plug in the machine. Done.
Cheap!
For example:
TP-Link WiFi Extender TL-WA850RE - Covers up to 800 sq. ft. with N300 Wireless Signal Booster & Repeater (Up to 300Mbps Speed), Single Band 2.4Ghz only, and Compact Wall Plug Design: Amazon.ca: Computers & Tablets (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00E98O7GC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

I use them all the time

slimslob
03-14-2021, 05:52 AM

I don't know any Ricoh dealers that use the "add in wifi kit." Too expensive, Too much trouble to install. And then you have to find a place to position ugly antenna where it will be out of sight and still work. Also the early ones only supported WEP even after WPA had been out for a few years.

What Sandy recommends is the way to go. I have been using them for years. Only problem I ever had was a doctor who kept changing his router.

Any off the shelf wireless range extender will suffice.
Connect it. plug in the machine. Done.
Cheap!
For example:
TP-Link WiFi Extender TL-WA850RE - Covers up to 800 sq. ft. with N300 Wireless Signal Booster & Repeater (Up to 300Mbps Speed), Single Band 2.4Ghz only, and Compact Wall Plug Design: Amazon.ca: Computers & Tablets (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00E98O7GC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

I use them all the time

TP-Link and most others also make dual AP repeaters. Only $10 to $15 more. Add a 5 port work group switch ans you can connect additional devices.

lurker1652
03-14-2021, 10:29 AM
I don't know any Ricoh dealers that use the "add in wifi kit." Too expensive, Too much trouble to install. And then you have to find a place to position ugly antenna where it will be out of sight and still work. Also the early ones only supported WEP even after WPA had been out for a few years.

What Sandy recommends is the way to go. I have been using them for years. Only problem I ever had was a doctor who kept changing his router.

TP-Link and most others also make dual AP repeaters. Only $10 to $15 more. Add a 5 port work group switch ans you can connect additional devices.

Found one of those in my crap-box. I guess I wanted something more elegant :D

In other domains (laptops/switches/servers), purchasing retired premium/enterprise grade hardware is better than purchasing new consumer-grade alternatives, because they usually pack more features and options are super accesible (eBay is full of spares and accesories). I was expecting something similar, seems it's not the case.

lurker1652
03-14-2021, 10:49 AM
Well, inspecting the machine, it seems it came stripped out of any of these radio options:

- WiFi
- NFC
- Bluetooth

Direct-WiFi works though.

Interestingly enough, the Ricoh C306 came with SAVIN firmware:

Is that good or bad?, shall I upgrade it with Ricoh firmware?. Print counter = 123k

slimslob
03-14-2021, 11:37 AM
Well, inspecting the machine, it seems it came stripped out of any of these radio options:

- WiFi
- NFC
- Bluetooth

Is that good or bad?, shall I upgrade it with Ricoh firmware?. Print counter = 123k

Savin is a fully owned subsidiary of RICOH. There is no branding specific firmware. There is a SP setting that controls what brand name appears on internal print outs, probably in Factory settings.

slimslob
03-14-2021, 11:48 AM
Found one of those in my crap-box. I guess I wanted something more elegant :D

In other domains (laptops/switches/servers), purchasing retired premium/enterprise grade hardware is better than purchasing new consumer-grade alternatives, because they usually pack more features and options are super accesible (eBay is full of spares and accesories). I was expecting something similar, seems it's not the case.

Guess what, MP C306 is a consumer-grade/entry-level model. A premium/enterprise grade Ricoh would start with PRO meaning Production. Normally 50 to 80 pages per minute for color and up to 135 page per minute for Black and White. Oh by the way, eBay is the worst place to buy a laser copier.

copier tech
03-14-2021, 01:02 PM

Expected usage:
- copies

I would choose the Ricoh C306, I had one in my office for years a good solid model & also needed wifi but as another tech said you simply use a range extender this also has the advantage of extending your home network range.

The only issue you may have is the C306 does not support Airprint so would need to use the Ricoh app to print.

The HP does support Airprint so this maybe the game changer for you.

SalesServiceGuy
03-14-2021, 02:42 PM

- WiFi
- NFC
- Bluetooth

The Ricoh C306 falls into the category commonly referred to as an A4 MFP. At 123k walk away and find something else. The consumables will cost way more than the box.

lurker1652
03-14-2021, 04:00 PM

Just configured a TPLink RE350. Seems it'll stay like that. Thanks for the suggestion.

lurker1652
03-14-2021, 04:02 PM
Savin is a fully owned subsidiary of RICOH. There is no branding specific firmware. There is a SP setting that controls what brand name appears on internal print outs, probably in Factory settings.

Will look for that setting. Thanks!

lurker1652
03-14-2021, 04:58 PM
The Ricoh C306 falls into the category commonly referred to as an A4 MFP. At 123k walk away and find something else. The consumables will cost way more than the box.

Too late, the printer is already with me. I guess it is what it is...

PS: I'm struggling to upload pictures to the forum, weird..

slimslob
03-14-2021, 05:48 PM
Too late, the printer is already with me. I guess it is what it is...

PS: I'm struggling to upload pictures to the forum, weird..

Most likely they are too large. Most image files must meet the following limits.
File size less than 976.6KB
Image size 620 X 280 or less

lurker1652
03-14-2021, 06:10 PM
Guess what, MP C306 is a consumer-grade/entry-level model. A premium/enterprise grade Ricoh would start with PRO meaning Production. Normally 50 to 80 pages per minute for color and up to 135 page per minute for Black and White. Oh by the way, eBay is the worst place to buy a laser copier.

Well, probably I made the wrong choice :)

lurker1652
03-14-2021, 06:15 PM
Most likely they are too large. Most image files must meet the following limits.
File size less than 976.6KB
Image size 620 X 280 or less

It's more like the "Insert image" dialog doesn't have an accept button (I'm using Chrome), and trying to embed images from imgur gives me "you've surpassed the X limit with 43124151512341412 characters", or something along the line

lurker1652
03-17-2021, 07:47 AM

Thanks for the hint. For the record, in the "Factory" SP mode the option can be found as SP-5-907

Custom Search