PDA

View Full Version : Samsung CLX-6260FW printer prints blank pages.. most of the time

Custom Search

Pages : [1] 2

Bojan2S
03-13-2021, 10:23 PM
Hi,
My CLX-6260FW prints blank pages now (it started as very occasional issue at first, now it is permanent problem).
I suspect HVPS, LSU. Is there a way to check voltages to diagnose the fault?

Also, when calibrating/printing, there is a distinctive sound "thp-thp-thp-thp" (yes, four times.. there are 4 toner cartridges.. coincidental?), I do nor remember hearing it before (when everything was OK).
Thank you in advance for your help.

Bojan

EDIT:
I also tried "half test" (open door when half of the paper was in) and there was no image on the drum (black). I measured voltages on HVPS board, K-section, they are there.
So it seems LSU remains as prime suspect?

EDIT2:
After fiddling with LSU connector on Main (processor) board, it started to print (more often). It looks like something is intermittent... I also removed the board and inspected connector under the microscope.. no obvious issues are visible.

Bojan2S
03-14-2021, 11:54 PM
It seems most of the time printer will copy only one page after moving cable/connector, but not print from comp...
Would that indicate the Main board problem?

Crowfeather
03-25-2021, 07:09 PM
Start printing and then force a jam (open rear door) before the paper reaches the fuser. Check the underside of the toner cartridge (imaging units) you should see the image drawn on that. If not then it could be HVPS/LSU/Imaging unit issue.

If image is drawn then its probably the ITB.

Bojan2S
03-25-2021, 07:35 PM
Start printing and then force a jam (open rear door) before the paper reaches the fuser. Check the underside of the toner cartridge (imaging units) you should see the image drawn on that. If not then it could be HVPS/LSU/Imaging unit issue.

If image is drawn then its probably the ITB.

Thank you for suggestion, I actually did that...
The result was the same as with moving connector (and printing one page only..)
My theory is some control gate is floating.. and my manipulation charges that gate and temporarily enables printing. It's a pity circuit schematic is not available..
I managed to find processor board on ebay (second-hand, cheap), hopefully this will solve the problem (this or that way)

Crowfeather
03-25-2021, 07:42 PM
My theory is some control gate is floating.. and my manipulation charges that gate and temporarily enables printing. It's a pity circuit schematic is not available..
I managed to find processor board on ebay (second-hand, cheap), hopefully this will solve the problem (this or that way)

I'm not really sure what connector you are referring to. So I can't comment on the whole charge thing.
I've never seen this printer fail to print an image due to a mainboard issue.

The purpose of doing a jam test, is it tells you whether the image is being drawn or not. If the image is being drawn, then you know the problem is that the image is not being applied to the paper, so either the ITB is not working, or the fuser isn't working.

If the image is not being drawn, then this would be the toner cartridge, or the LSU.

The parts that could be causing both is the HVPS.

SMPS and Mainboard I've never seen cause print quality issues.

When doing test prints, you probably want to make sure your testing using the internal report pages, to avoid the issue being unrelated to the printing mechanisms.

P.S This machine has two different revisions of the mainboard, so you want to double check the pn on your machines board before replacing. If you use the wrong revision it won't work properly, and there is no way of changing one revision to the other.

Bojan2S
03-25-2021, 08:03 PM
I'm not really sure what connector you are referring to. So I can't comment on the whole charge thing.
P.S This machine has two different revisions of the mainboard, so you want to double check the pn on your machines board before replacing. If you use the wrong revision it won't work properly, and there is no way of changing one revision to the other.

Connector in question is for flat cable for LSU.. after moving cable in and out (just a bit) I can print one page... but not much more, that is why I think about charging a gate..
I was also thinking about new cable... but the old one looks OK.
Processor board is taken out from the came printer model (FW), I will check compatibility... Also I presume I will have to use my own SD card? ... to avoid setup from scratch.

Crowfeather
03-26-2021, 06:41 PM
Connector in question is for flat cable for LSU.. after moving cable in and out (just a bit) I can print one page... but not much more, that is why I think about charging a gate..
I was also thinking about new cable... but the old one looks OK.
Processor board is taken out from the came printer model (FW), I will check compatibility... Also I presume I will have to use my own SD card? ... to avoid setup from scratch.

That makes more sense. So I guess you are looking at either the cable or the LSU as the cause?

The mainboard will have a white sticker/label on it with a serial bar, the serial code has the part number where it starts "JC" this will usually end in A or another letter so JC92-02530A as an example. They completely revised the Mainboard and OPE sometime in the middle of manufacturing. I don't quite remember the exact date, but essentially it meant that there are two separate pair of boards depending on the manufacture date of the printer. So if the part numbers match there shouldn't be any problem.

If you are swapping the SD you'd probably want to firmware it anyway. If the board you have is a donor board, you might end up with different SN information and counts. I believe the samsungs use a separate chip for that information that sits on the board.

If you get an error message after replacing the board, about incompatible toners, you'll need to reset the machine and change the default country to the relevant one.

Bojan2S
03-26-2021, 08:25 PM
Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it. This printer was given to me by a friend (it had a problem with actuator (#A1-4111) which I sorted last year) with set of toners so it makes all sense to me to try and repair it, it should last as long as I live :-)

That makes more sense. So I guess you are looking at either the cable or the LSU as the cause?...
Yes.. if swapping of main board doesn't help, problem must be somewhere there.

...The mainboard will have a white sticker/label on it with a serial bar, the serial code has the part number where it starts "JC" this will usually end in A or another letter so JC92-02530A as an example. They completely revised the Mainboard and OPE sometime in the middle of manufacturing. I don't quite remember the exact date, but essentially it meant that there are two separate pair of boards depending on the manufacture date of the printer. So if the part numbers match there shouldn't be any problem....
Hmmm, I had no idea about that.. ebay seller provided the pic of the board with serial and version numbers, (right) they are different but not much.. I will know very soon, board is already in Oz, to be delivered next week.

Bojan2S
03-28-2021, 06:54 PM
Thank you for your reply, I really appreciate your help here. I had no idea there are two very different revisions of the board (as you probably guessed, I am just an amateur-repairer ;) )
Yes, if main board swap doesn't help, then the problem must be in LSU or associated flat cable...
BTW, I tried to post the image of serial number stickers, but it seems that reply was not (yet?) approved for posting.,
Thanks again!
Bojan

Phil B.
03-28-2021, 07:17 PM

IF you move the connector and it works ...logic would tell you that the connector is loose/faulty.

Phil B.
03-28-2021, 07:20 PM
Thank you for your reply, I really appreciate your help here. I had no idea there are two very different revisions of the board (as you probably guessed, I am just an amateur-repairer ;) )
Yes, if main board swap doesn't help, then the problem must be in LSU or associated flat cable...
BTW, I tried to post the image of serial number stickers, but it seems that reply was not (yet?) approved for posting.,
Thanks again!
Bojan

attachments DO NOT require approval form admin....

the FAQ'a outline the requirements for posting images/attachments

https://www.copytechnet.com/forums/faq.php?faq=vb3_reading_posting#faq_vb3_attachment s

Bojan2S
03-28-2021, 07:35 PM
attachments DO NOT require approval form admin....

the FAQ'a outline the requirements for posting images/attachments

https://www.copytechnet.com/forums/faq.php?faq=vb3_reading_posting#faq_vb3_attachment s

It must have been something else then.. There was a pop-up window notifying me my post waits for approval.

Bojan2S
03-28-2021, 07:40 PM
IF you move the connector and it works ...logic would tell you that the connector is loose/faulty.
Yep.. however I inspected connector under the stereo microscope and it looked normal, all contact apparently behave as they should.
perhaps the fault is inside connector and invisible, so I hope new main board will solve the problem (or point me to exact cause - it is on its way, to be delivered this week).

Crowfeather
03-29-2021, 06:42 PM
Yep.. however I inspected connector under the stereo microscope and it looked normal, all contact apparently behave as they should.
perhaps the fault is inside connector and invisible, so I hope new main board will solve the problem (or point me to exact cause - it is on its way, to be delivered this week).

You'd have better luck checking resistance or voltage values I think. The service manual with all the schematics can be found online if you do a google search, and it will list some info in those.

Bojan2S
03-29-2021, 07:38 PM
You'd have better luck checking resistance or voltage values I think. The service manual with all the schematics can be found online if you do a google search, and it will list some info in those.
I tried and the service manual I found is pretty useless for low-level debugging.. no circuit schematics. Basically, it says "if blank page is printed, replace main board or LSU".
Anyway... we shall see soon.

Crowfeather
03-30-2021, 08:22 PM
I tried and the service manual I found is pretty useless for low-level debugging.. no circuit schematics. Basically, it says "if blank page is printed, replace main board or LSU".
Anyway... we shall see soon.

Just had a look as I'm sure I remember there being some diagrams. It has Circuit Schematics are under Connection Diagram I believe Section 5.2 there are some other diagrams showing where the output sits around the chasis / unit.

I don't really get involved in board repairs, so I don't know what information might be needed that are missing from these diagrams.

It looks like votlage and resistance for individual components are then listed elsewhere. So I'm not sure if that helps at all.

Under troubleshooting I have the below information:

Bad contact on OPC - Check terminal to ground of OPC
LSU not working - Check LSU connector
Not working developing bias voltage on HVPS - replace HVPS

So you are looking at the second section, which is replace LSU/Connector as you checked the connector and that is where the fault seems to be.

I don't think its possible for the mainboard to cause this issue without you getting some other associated error code such as an LSU failure. The only thing loosely related would be if no image is being processed in which case reflashing firmware would fix that.

Bojan2S
03-31-2021, 07:42 AM
Just had a look as I'm sure I remember there being some diagrams. It has Circuit Schematics are under Connection Diagram I believe Section 5.2 there are some other diagrams showing where the output sits around the chasis / unit.

Could you send me a link with main board schematic diagram? It would be useful if signals are marked, with time diagrams..

LSU not working - Check LSU connector
So you are looking at the second section, which is replace LSU/Connector as you checked the connector and that is where the fault seems to be.

Yes...
Board is on its way, will be here tomorrow or after holidays. If the problem doesn't do away, it will be LSU or cable.
As for cable, I will probably be able to repair the existing one (cut off 1cm from ends and remove insulation for connector), but for LSU... not so sure. I haven't dismantle it yet anyway...

Crowfeather
03-31-2021, 06:37 PM
Could you send me a link with main board schematic diagram? It would be useful if signals are marked, with time diagrams..

Yes...
Board is on its way, will be here tomorrow or after holidays. If the problem doesn't do away, it will be LSU or cable.
As for cable, I will probably be able to repair the existing one (cut off 1cm from ends and remove insulation for connector), but for LSU... not so sure. I haven't dismantle it yet anyway...

I'm not sure what we're allowed to post on here, but if you search the model and service manual in google, I think it is listed on one of those manual sites which will show in the top 3 results.

Phil B.
03-31-2021, 06:58 PM
I'm not sure what we're allowed to post on here, but if you search the model and service manual in google, I think it is listed on one of those manual sites which will show in the top 3 results.

most times if other users see the contributor Badge, they are willing to help with manuals and firmware.

any contributions strictly go to keeping CTN up and running.

a good thing is to read the forum rules https://www.copytechnet.com/forums/misc.php?do=vsarules PLEASE note rule #3 ALL requests for manual are to be posted in https://www.copytechnet.com/forums/service-manual-requests/

also please reviews the FAQ's section https://www.copytechnet.com/forums/faq.php

tsbservice
03-31-2021, 07:21 PM
most times if other users see the contributor Badge, they are willing to help with manuals and firmware.

any contributions strictly go to keeping CTN up and running.

a good thing is to read the forum rules https://www.copytechnet.com/forums/misc.php?do=vsarules PLEASE note rule #3 ALL requests for manual are to be posted in https://www.copytechnet.com/forums/service-manual-requests/

also please reviews the FAQ's section https://www.copytechnet.com/forums/faq.php

Thanks brother for this as always thorough explanation.
I think Crowfeather reply was truly respectful and in perfect unison with what this site and members here may deserve and expect so I liked it :)

Phil B.
03-31-2021, 07:31 PM
Thanks brother for this as always thorough explanation.
I think Crowfeather reply was truly respectful and in perfect unison with what this site and members here may deserve and expect so I liked it :)By all means his post was appropriate, I made the mistake of replying to him instead of the OP.
I was lazy. I should have copied, deleted, and replied to the OP, I hope I didn't offend.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

tsbservice
03-31-2021, 07:48 PM
By all means his post was appropriate, I made the mistake of replying to him instead of the OP.
I was lazy. I should have copied, deleted, and replied to the OP, I hope I didn't offend.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

No worries, no offense taken Phil. Plus I'm sure you're not lazy at all :)
Just wanted to give him credit he deserves for his posts(not only this one).

Bojan2S
04-01-2021, 07:50 AM
If you get an error message after replacing the board, about incompatible toners, you'll need to reset the machine and change the default country to the relevant one.

The board arrived, it is alive and I do have an error "toner not compatible".
I reset the machine and it seems it works...
But the original problem is still there.
Copy one page and that's it.
So I need to dig deeper into LSU unit.

Crowfeather
04-01-2021, 09:15 AM
The board arrived, it is alive and I do have an error "toner not compatible".
I reset the machine and it seems it works...
But the original problem is still there.
Copy one page and that's it.
So I need to dig deeper into LSU unit.

I think you're probably better off just buying the cable and if the cable doesn't work then buying the LSU as an assembly. The cost of a new LSU is like £60 and no one is going to be selling sub-assy parts on it.

Bojan2S
04-01-2021, 09:33 AM
I think you're probably better off just buying the cable and if the cable doesn't work then buying the LSU as an assembly. The cost of a new LSU is like £60 and no one is going to be selling sub-assy parts on it.

Yes.. this appears to be the next step... Cable is high density 0.5mm pitch.. but I will have a look the other end first, in case something else is obvious.
I found seller in US (LSU is for U$$ 68.00, not sure how much is for postage, probably arm and leg..)

Bojan2S
06-12-2021, 03:14 AM
In the meantime, I stumbled on another problem - printer doesn't start, all that's happening are clicks from speaker every 3-4 seconds.
This happened before once or twice, but after couple of 10s of seconds the printer started normally so I forgot about it.
I put in the old Main board (which was proved to be working OK), the problem remained..
The waveform below is from CON3, yellow wire (pin 1, lowest). Service manual says there should be 5V there.. and it's continuous when I disconnect the load (Main board connector).
Does anybody have SMPS schematic?
Service manual also mentions Connector 4 on SMPS, connected to CN19 on main board with cable where the 24V should be switched ON.

Thanks in advance!
Bojan

blackcat4866
06-12-2021, 03:38 PM
I haven't worked on this particular Samsung ... or any Samsungs in the last 10 years.

Typically HVT troubles manifest as:
Black or single color background, caused by lack of primary charge.
Bars in the crossfeed direction caused by varying developer bias.
Light images for black or a single color color caused by lack of transfer voltage.
On many machines that use spring contacts you can experience any/all of these same faults because of a poor spring connection.

Blank images are most often caused by the laser unit or the board that performs the image processing.

Bojan2S
06-13-2021, 12:25 AM
I loaded 5V output of SMPS with 6 Ohms (0.83 A).. and this is the result, similar to the situation when the whole printer system is connected.

SMPS is definitely faulty, it is supposed to deliver <3.5 A (17W).

Then I removed SMPS board from printer, and on the first inspection it was obvious the two caps on the below picture were swollen..

After caps are replaced, SMPS is OK (loaded with 2 A, no voltage ripples)

blackcat4866
06-13-2021, 01:18 AM
Good catch. =^..^=

Bojan2S
06-13-2021, 02:17 AM
This printer is falling apart..
Now I have another problem "Scanner is locked"
I must have done something wrong when assembling.. When I press "Stop" button, scanner moves to the right for ~5 cm and stops.. with the same error. Now it is at the right limit, and it doesn't move to left any more

EDIT: Post corrected.. In original I swapped left and right (sometimes I am prone to errors like this).

blackcat4866
06-13-2021, 02:31 AM
Remove the glass, and use the drive drum to move the scanner through it's full travel. It should move smoothly. Are the cables crossed over on the drive drum? It's a common mistake to grab the mirror units and pull the scanner this way and that. It's very easy jump a cable that way. =^..^=

Bojan2S
06-13-2021, 04:44 AM
Remove the glass, and use the drive drum to move the scanner through it's full travel. It should move smoothly. Are the cables crossed over on the drive drum? It's a common mistake to grab the mirror units and pull the scanner this way and that. It's very easy jump a cable that way. =^..^=
I don't think this is my case..
Most probably the scanner moved a bit out of optical limit switch and now processor can't find the right limit.
Removing glass is not easy, lots of screws are in the way... but it has to be done - unless there is other, non-invasive method of moving the motor (maybe there is something in Tech Mode?) .

Bojan2S
06-13-2021, 06:55 AM
Moved the scanner by hand, no effect.
What could go wrong here? Whatever I repair, another problem pops out at opposite side of the printer..

Bojan2S
06-13-2021, 09:38 PM
After sleeping over the issue, it occurred to me the problem may develop around limit scanner switch (opto-isolator) or associated cable/wire/connector.
Anybody have any experience with those cables/connectors? They seem reliable when not disturbed but they are not designed for too many disconnections/connections..

tsbservice
06-13-2021, 10:08 PM
Is it low cost a4 color model?

Phil B.
06-13-2021, 10:20 PM
I've worked on a lot of models of the Samsux brand, and frankly they have all been pieces of crap..glad the ex boss dropped the dealership..

cheap parts BUT not to buy.

lousy tech support

and warranty claims were most times they were denied.

complete headaches.

Bojan2S
06-14-2021, 12:41 AM
It seems I found the reason for "scanner locked" error message.
When dismantling the front panel, I damaged the connector on PCB (only 3 SMD solder pads are too weak support and the connector was pulled off the board).
This connector is for limit sensor of the scanner.
The saga continues...

Phil B.
06-14-2021, 12:43 AM
It seems I found the reason for "scanner locked" error message.
When dismantling the front panel, I damaged the connector on PCB (only 4 SMD solder pads are too weak support and the connector was pulled off the board).
This connector is for limit sensor of the scanner.
The saga continues...

sure hope you are keeping notes.. because I'm not.

Bojan2S
06-14-2021, 02:23 AM
Glued on LCD board with superglue and soldered (could have been done better but... connection is important here, not the looks).

Scanner is not "locked" any more.

Bojan2S
06-14-2021, 03:14 AM
The list of what has been done so far in attempts to fix printing blank pages most of the time:

1) New main board -> no change, printout OK sometimes
2) New LSU - no change, printout OK sometimes

I checked voltages on HVPS board, they appear to be present and OK. Also, paper seems to have toner deposited here and there, which suggests the printer is OK, but either laser doesn't work (on both modules?.. not likely) or there is some intermittent contact somewhere so image is not placed on drums.

Any suggestions from experience with this printer (CLX-6260FW)?

And.. after some time I tried to print again.. success. But one page only.
The next one is blank.
Could it be faulty cap somewhere.. like those two in SMPS? Or something is overheating?

Crowfeather
06-21-2021, 09:53 PM
I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but are you using genuine toners?

I mean really at this point for a printer you can pick for £220 the amount of time you've spent on it probably isn't worth it.

I can see in the OP you did a half test and no image (sometimes) is drawn on the imaging unit. As you've replaced the LSU, the only other possibility is either

a) No power is reaching LSU to generate the light
b) You are using non genuine cartridges and toner is either not leaving the cartridge or imaging unit is not successfully charging
c) The printer is not properly processing the job

If you can see that power is reaching the LSU, then the only other culprit is your toners. But normally this is the first to be checked with an old set, especially if non-genuine as you get loads of weird and wonderful issues with old refills.

Bojan2S
06-22-2021, 10:48 PM
... I mean really at this point for a printer you can pick for £220 the amount of time you've spent on it probably isn't worth it.
Well, it is personal now between me and this printer, economy is irrelevant :-)

I don't think toners are the problem.. printer was working fine for years, and it started to misbehave after half of black toner in installed cartridges is spent.. and I tried with new cartridges, the intermittent behavior is the same.

The problem here is insufficient documentation, and imposed attitude by Samsung (and many other manufacturers/products): "easy repair - just replace modules, if it doesn't work just throw away, it's not worth the effort".
This philosophy doesn't work for me.
And, if I solve this problem, my effort could potentially help someone else.. so my time and effort will not be wasted (I hope).

Crowfeather
06-23-2021, 04:55 PM
Well, it is personal now between me and this printer, economy is irrelevant :-)

I don't think toners are the problem.. printer was working fine for years, and it started to misbehave after half of black toner in installed cartridges is spent.. and I tried with new cartridges, the intermittent behavior is the same.

The problem here is insufficient documentation, and imposed attitude by Samsung (and many other manufacturers/products): "easy repair - just replace modules, if it doesn't work just throw away, it's not worth the effort".
This philosophy doesn't work for me.
And, if I solve this problem, my effort could potentially help someone else.. so my time and effort will not be wasted (I hope).

If you are using non-genuine toners, I would highly suggest to replace with genuine toners. Irrelevant if it was working 50 years with no problem on said toner brand.

Most manufacturers have very large amounts of documentation, but this is not publicly available or is available only to a limited extent, apart from when people upload it to maunal sites where you can then get access to some of this. What tends to happen is techs only read a fraction as that is what they believe is relevant to the specific issue they have.

gordie
07-12-2021, 10:00 PM
Hi. I don,t know if you have fixed this fault but you will find it is the actuator solinoid sticking, its the rubber perished. you will find it on the main drive unit.
Regards Gordie.

Bojan2S
07-13-2021, 07:23 AM
Hi. I don,t know if you have fixed this fault but you will find it is the actuator solinoid sticking, its the rubber perished. you will find it on the main drive unit.
Regards Gordie.

No, I am still investigating.
Can you tell me exactly where this actuator is? In the past I had #A1-4112 Error, and I fixed this by inserting new cushion.. and error is no more. Are you suggesting this may be the problem again?
Thanks,
Bojan

gordie
07-13-2021, 10:32 AM
Hi. Remove the right hand cover. The solinoid is in between the two motors about about 2/3rds of the ways up. 2 screws and it comes out.
Regards Gordie

bax001
09-23-2021, 10:33 AM
No, I am still investigating.
Can you tell me exactly where this actuator is? In the past I had #A1-4112 Error, and I fixed this by inserting new cushion.. and error is no more. Are you suggesting this may be the problem again?
Thanks,
Bojan

Hi,
I had the same problem with 6260FW. I've replaced cushion before, but this time it was a problem with that small spring in acutator (it looks like it was too weak). I've shortened it around 3-4mm and printer is working like new :)
50219This is a picture from internet, just to show which spring.

Bojan2S
09-23-2021, 11:50 AM
Hi,
I had the same problem with 6260FW. I've replaced cushion before, but this time it was a problem with that small spring in acutator (it looks like it was too weak). I've shortened it around 3-4mm and printer is working like new :)
50219This is a picture from internet, just to show which spring.

Hmmm..
Thanks for the tip, I will investigate.

Crowfeather
09-26-2021, 04:03 AM
If you were having a problem with the actuator it should give the error code.

Honestly, its worth just buying a replacement they are a few dollars, if that, and they were revised with better material to separate.

bax001
09-28-2021, 12:48 PM
If you were having a problem with the actuator it should give the error code.

Honestly, its worth just buying a replacement they are a few dollars, if that, and they were revised with better material to separate.

If there is a problem for example with pad, then yes, but in my case it was partially working (it was printing usually only one page) and you could hear clicks that it was skipping something.

Custom Search