PDA

View Full Version : C284e Corrupting HDDs, noise from PS input transformer. locks up. 2 sharkfins.

Custom Search

apostlegato
03-30-2021, 08:27 PM
This machine is locking up on two shark fins and white light stays on beneath the control panel , the only thing that gets it going again seems to be putting in an HDD out of another machine. I noticed a noise coming from the DC Power Supply coming from the main input transformer as well as the lights flicker in the room simultaneously as the noise. I called a board repair company that advised me of a solution to the noise that had to do with the fuser by changing "machine heater control level" to 4. This did make the sound much quieter. But listening really close you can still hear it and the lights still flicker. The machine did work the longest it ever has after doing this though. The lockup always happens from sleep mode or sub power off mode to where it wont wake up. So I have to turn off the main power then it gets stuck at 2 shark fins. It even gets stuck with the HDD unplugged (strange I know). It was locking up at a customers site and is doing the same at my office. It will restart about every 5 minutes or so unless you try to start it in service mode then it will just set for days. If you turn it on normally the white light comes on and the machine warms up and basically sets and runs at full temp until it restarts and does the same thing again. I own an independent dealership that I started in 2007 and do not have access to firmware. Has anyone experienced this issue with the noise from the PS?

Also These HDDs I have are still good when tested in a computer. I assume in this lockup state the only way to fix(if i dont have an HDD from another machine) would be firmware. Im not sure which firmware is on it. I looked but cant remember. Right now it is locked and I have no way of looking and reporting any info other than 2 shark fins.
Thanks,
Mike

Phil B.
03-30-2021, 08:36 PM
This machine is locking up on two shark fins and white light stays on beneath the control panel , the only thing that gets it going again seems to be putting in an HDD out of another machine. I noticed a noise coming from the DC Power Supply coming from the main input transformer as well as the lights flicker in the room simultaneously as the noise. I called a board repair company that advised me of a solution to the noise that had to do with the fuser by changing "machine heater control level" to 4. This did make the sound much quieter. But listening really close you can still hear it and the lights still flicker. The machine did work the longest it ever has after doing this though. The lockup always happens from sleep mode or sub power off mode to where it wont wake up. So I have to turn off the main power then it gets stuck at 2 shark fins. It even gets stuck with the HDD unplugged (strange I know). It was locking up at a customers site and is doing the same at my office. I own an independent dealership that I started in 2007 and do not have access to firmware. Has anyone experienced this issue with the noise from the PS?

Also These HDDs I have are still good when tested in a computer. I assume in this lockup state the only way to fix(if i dont have an HDD from another machine) would be firmware. Im not sure which firmware is on it. I looked but cant remember. Right now it is locked and I have no way of looking and reporting any info other than 2 shark fins.
Thanks,
Mike

"as well as the lights flicker in the room simultaneously as the noise." you need to fix this problem first... get a certified electrician out to fix the main power

then I suggest putting it on an ESP surge Digital QC Power Surge Suppressor 120 - 208V (https://www.ametekesp.com/esp/digital-qc/digital-qc-120-208v)

HDD's can crash n burn along with PCB's with crappy power.

first things first

strider5555
03-30-2021, 08:43 PM
Agree with Phil B about the electrical issue. Once that is addressed, take a look at this troubleshooting guide. Hanging at second pillar is memory testing, but can also be communication with PRCB from MFPB, possibly a damaged ribbon cable between the 2 boards.

tsbservice
03-30-2021, 09:05 PM
4e constantly rebooting you will look for a new SSD.
As side note. This is great site run probably by one enthusiast/admin where Contributors to CTN may have advantage/or not from other members willing to share with certain supporters(financial or with knowledge).

apostlegato
04-01-2021, 08:39 PM
4e constantly rebooting you will look for a new SSD.
As side note. This is great site run probably by one enthusiast/admin where Contributors to CTN may have advantage/or not from other members willing to share with certain supporters(financial or with knowledge).

I got another machine in and tested it at my warehouse, makes the same noise from the power supply. And lights flicker a little there as well. So evidently this noise is normal. If some wants to compare listen on the left side of the machine close to the front. Anyway, I am a little afraid to go board swapping.
I was told I could test with an SSD from another machine if I disable the hdd, format the ssd physical and logical before I remove it from the good machine. If its the problem, when it boots it should come up asking for serial numbers or something. Couldnt this ruin the SSD for the good machine it came out of? As well as the boards on the bad machine? Has anyone done this? Sounds risky.
If this is a bad idea how can I obtain a new SSD?
Thanks

apostlegato
04-01-2021, 09:35 PM
Also, am I correct that if you boot the machine with a usb card in the service port it should boot to the firmware update screen? The USB drive doesn't even light or blink or anything. If it were going to work it should start trying to update firmware after 30 seconds right?

srvctec
04-01-2021, 10:39 PM
Also, am I correct that if you boot the machine with a usb card in the service port it should boot to the firmware update screen? The USB drive doesn't even light or blink or anything. If it were going to work it should start trying to update firmware after 30 seconds right?

Well, if you have the correct F/W on the drive in the correct format. Also, are you putting the thumb drive into the proper port? It's the one under the metal cover. Even if that's the case, and you are putting it into the correct port, the sensor that detects that cover could be unplugged (because somebody had the board out and/or connectors removed and forgot to plug it back in) and make it not work. I think we even had one like that from the factory once, but I can't remember for sure.

apostlegato
04-02-2021, 01:17 AM
Well, if you have the correct F/W on the drive in the correct format. Also, are you putting the thumb drive into the proper port?

No I don’t have the proper firmware but yes correct port. I’m pretty sure I’ve had the wrong firmware before or incompatible drive and it still comes up to the firmware update screen. Photosensor is plugged in too. I just done this as an experiment to see if it would even try to upload firmware, or if it even seem to give any activity to the thumb drive. And as I said the thumb drive never lights up or anything.

My opinion is I will need an SSD and I’ll also need FW. But have no access to either.

copier tech
04-02-2021, 10:43 AM
No I don’t have the proper firmware but yes correct port. I’m pretty sure I’ve had the wrong firmware before or incompatible drive and it still comes up to the firmware update screen. Photosensor is plugged in too. I just done this as an experiment to see if it would even try to upload firmware, or if it even seem to give any activity to the thumb drive. And as I said the thumb drive never lights up or anything.

My opinion is I will need an SSD and I’ll also need FW. But have no access to either.

No, if you try & load in wrong firmware the machine will simply ignore what's in the service USB slot & boot up as normal, you won't get any message etc.

We can supply the latest main & SSD firmware should you wish to give that a try.

Click Here To Download - Ricoh, Konica Minolta, Kyocera, Lexmark or Canon Firmware (http://www.copierfirmware.co.uk)

apostlegato
04-02-2021, 08:15 PM
New developments. I will try to list in order everything that happened since yesterday. Spoiler, End result is back at two shark fins.
1: Started the machine last night with USB drive in service port left it alone and went to bed. This did not have correct FW BTW. It has non-e C284.
2: Today machine sitting there two shark fins, thought i heard a relay click like its restarting so I switched the main power off and removed the USB drive.
3: Turned back on while holding reset and it came up to trouble reset! Trying not get my hopes up at this point.
4: I go into service mode (BTW FW is K2) Check HDD is enabled.
5: Reboot machine comes up twice with internal error both times machine rebooted on its own.
6: After the 2nd automatic reboot I get an error to do with scanner or maybe the adf Dual side scanner with option to disable it, (everything is unplugged)
7: I plug in the ADF and turn off main power and get C6001 ( I forgot the Dual side scanner board.)
8: Install the Dual side scanner board and plug it in. Turn it back on and get CD010, which means HDD unformatted?
9: Next boot it gets hung at 5 shark fins. I let it set for a while like this and wish Id left it longer because now Im back to 2 shark fins no matter what I do.

Phil B.
04-02-2021, 08:30 PM
New developments. I will try to list in order everything that happened since yesterday. Spoiler, End result is back at two shark fins.
1: Started the machine last night with USB drive in service port left it alone and went to bed. This did not have correct FW BTW. It has non-e C284.
2: Today machine sitting there two shark fins, thought i heard a relay click like its restarting so I switched the main power off and removed the USB drive.
3: Turned back on while holding reset and it came up to trouble reset! Trying not get my hopes up at this point.
4: I go into service mode (BTW FW is K2) Check HDD is enabled.
5: Reboot machine comes up twice with internal error both times machine rebooted on its own.
6: After the 2nd automatic reboot I get an error to do with scanner or maybe the adf Dual side scanner with option to disable it, (everything is unplugged)
7: I plug in the ADF and turn off main power and get C6001 ( I forgot the Dual side scanner board.)
8: Install the Dual side scanner board and plug it in. Turn it back on and get CD010, which means HDD unformatted?
9: Next boot it gets hung at 5 shark fins. I let it set for a while like this and wish Id left it longer because now Im back to 2 shark fins no matter what I do.

look at your title... C284E.. why are you now saying non E?

you can't load the wrong firmware and have positive results..

go get the correct firmware and start all over again....

it's the small things that count.. like having the correct firmware and knowing the proper procedure.

apostlegato
04-02-2021, 09:12 PM
look at your title... C284E.. why are you now saying non E?

you can't load the wrong firmware and have positive results..

go get the correct firmware and start all over again....

it's the small things that count.. like having the correct firmware and knowing the proper procedure.

As I stated before it was an experiment, I know it won’t load the incorrect firmware. I’m sure it didn’t. As once it came up I checked the firmware on the machine to be K2 the firmware on the drive was K5.
It really started to look promising. Everything seemed to be progressing until after I plugged in the dual scan board.
I can get the firmware from a friend soon hopefully ( he’s really busy workin two jobs). If not I’ll buy it unless someone offers it.

However procedure wise. Can I go straight from K2 to the latest firmware?
Also do you do SSD FW first or MFP FW first?
thanks.

copier tech
04-02-2021, 09:33 PM
As I stated before it was an experiment, I know it won’t load the incorrect firmware. I’m sure it didn’t. As once it came up I checked the firmware on the machine to be K2 the firmware on the drive was K5.
It really started to look promising. Everything seemed to be progressing until after I plugged in the dual scan board.
I can get the firmware from a friend soon hopefully ( he’s really busy workin two jobs). If not I’ll buy it unless someone offers it.

However procedure wise. Can I go straight from K2 to the latest firmware?
Also do you do SSD FW first or MFP FW first?
thanks.

You need to stop with your ‘experiments’ you may do irreversible damage requiring new boards when all you needed to perform was a simple fw update (with the correct files obviously)

apostlegato
04-03-2021, 03:51 AM
You need to stop with your ‘experiments’ you may do irreversible damage requiring new boards when all you needed to perform was a simple fw update (with the correct files obviously)

Your the same one that said the machine would ignore incorrect firmware and continue to boot. So according to what you said before this would cause no problem. And btw due to this I was able to get the machine back up again( at least temporarily). I’m not sure how but it did. Let me run though some questions I’ve asked that aren’t getting a answered.

can I go from K2 straight to the latest firmware?
Do I need to install SSD firmware? If so before or after MFP?
I asked if anyone had tried a procedure I was told about from a board repair company formatting an SSD from another machine. And installing it.
I asked if that’s a bad idea (which I assume it is) how do I obtain a new SSD.
All those questions still stand.

Just to be clear I have serviced Konica Minolta for 25 years. I’m very mechanically and electronically inclined and I’ve worked with firmware, even very confusing procedures back with 420 and c250 I think. I mentioned that I’m afraid to go board swapping because I don’t want to brick 2 machines.
I come in here and even donated hoping to get some actual help. Putting a thumb drive in to see if it will wake up the machine is a much safer experiment than swapping an SSD or MFP. Plus I’m also checking the Konica Minolta forum regularly to see if there are any issues I’m familiar with so I can help out.

zoool
04-04-2021, 05:17 PM
4 me you need to update SSD board to 6.05 then try to write firmware. dont change enything i have this issue few days ago.
my machine is working then my boss try to upgrade firmware and mfp download n.g.
machine i frozen on 2 sharks and nothing else
update SSD then firmware and it work well.

apostlegato
04-05-2021, 05:51 PM
4 me you need to update SSD board to 6.05 then try to write firmware. dont change enything i have this issue few days ago.
my machine is working then my boss try to upgrade firmware and mfp download n.g.
machine i frozen on 2 sharks and nothing else
update SSD then firmware and it work well.

Thanks, Ill try that as soon as I can get back with my friend. I now have the MFP base firmware versions K5 K8 and M1, but it wont even try to load them. The USB never lights up. Im gonna go try this drive on another machine to see if it works with these machines. I have used it before to load movie data but not MFP firmware.

Custom Search