PDA

View Full Version : Dinosour BH-C-353 wants to scan to e-mail.

Custom Search

Hansoon
04-11-2021, 11:07 AM
Customer has a BH-C-353, he wants to scan to e-mail with this old lady. I must set it up for him but recall that there where some issues in the past but I forgot what it was. Have to go there Tuesday but have no machine of this type anymore for testing the procedure. Is it the same as with the later model BH-C-360? Any tips please?

Thanks in advance.

Hans
And yes, I know that its Dinosaur and not "Dinosour" but I cannot edit the title anymore...... :)

copier tech
04-11-2021, 12:37 PM
Customer has a BH-C-353, he wants to scan to e-mail with this old lady. I must set it up for him but recall that there where some issues in the past but I forgot what it was. Have to go there Tuesday but have no machine of this type anymore for testing the procedure. Is it the same as with the later model BH-C-360? Any tips please?

Thanks in advance.

Hans
And yes, I know that its Dinosaur and not "Dinosour" but I cannot edit the title anymore...... :)

You will be limited on how you can scan to email on this old model due to it not supporting SSL & TLS etc.

Your best option would be scan to folder & you would need to use an old PC with Win 7 etc.

copyman
04-11-2021, 12:57 PM
Last one my IT guy did he had to use an old computer (win XP or 7) to get it to work.

There are some other older models only option was FTP.

CP-1015
04-11-2021, 04:18 PM
Scan to folder to Win 10 is with the old C-353 possible.

copier tech
04-11-2021, 04:24 PM
Scan to folder to Win 10 is with the old C-353 possible.

Yes you can scan to Win 10 using SMB v1.0 however you would need to enable this as it was a security risk & disabled with a recent Windows update.

CP-1015
04-11-2021, 04:30 PM
To enable SMB 1 is no problem. Microsoft has solved security problem and use an own account only for scanning without administrator rights.

Hansoon
04-11-2021, 04:46 PM
Thanks guys but the customer wants to == SCAN TO EMAIL == as mentioned in the original post :)
All the other options are in this case not wanted, even my favorite scan to FTP is here not desired.

The customer want scan to e-mail because he has now another company sitting in the same office, both using the same MFP. Printing for one company is done thru TCP/IP and the other company prints thru the USB connection. But......, for scanning things must be more separated and they don't like Twain scanning thru USB - like me, so one scans the usual way Scan>FTP and the other wants to Scan>E-Mail as a way of keeping data separated.

Since they do not want a segmented network nor dual layer switches to separate networks (hope I express myself here clear enough, since this is a part of networking I'm not familiar with. Yet.) Scan>E-Mail was chosen and here comes my problem. I don't want to sit there on site endless testing and trying. I remember we had with this old C-353 problems to get Scan>E-mail working because of some weird setting, not the same as with the later generations. Hence my question how to set this up. Thanks

Hans

copier tech
04-11-2021, 06:24 PM
Thanks guys but the customer wants to == SCAN TO EMAIL == as mentioned in the original post :)
All the other options are in this case not wanted, even my favorite scan to FTP is here not desired.

The customer want scan to e-mail because he has now another company sitting in the same office, both using the same MFP. Printing for one company is done thru TCP/IP and the other company prints thru the USB connection. But......, for scanning things must be more separated and they don't like Twain scanning thru USB - like me, so one scans the usual way Scan>FTP and the other wants to Scan>E-Mail as a way of keeping data separated.

Since they do not want a segmented network nor dual layer switches to separate networks (hope I express myself here clear enough, since this is a part of networking I'm not familiar with. Yet.) Scan>E-Mail was chosen and here comes my problem. I don't want to sit there on site endless testing and trying. I remember we had with this old C-353 problems to get Scan>E-mail working because of some weird setting, not the same as with the later generations. Hence my question how to set this up. Thanks

Hans

Yes we read your post re scan to email but offered SMB & FTP as an alternative solutions.

So, how do you wish to set up scan to email, what SMTP provider to you wish to use?

Hansoon
04-11-2021, 06:39 PM
Yes we read your post re scan to email but offered SMB & FTP as an alternative solutions.

So, how do you wish to set up scan to email, what SMTP provider to you wish to use?

A local provider, not this MS Office 356 or Google shit. SMTP server is known, that's not the problem. The problem seems to be that there are some adjustment or settings to be made exclusive to the KonicaMinolta BH-C-353.
I have Scan>E-mail working with later generations but forgot how to do this for the BH-C-353.

Hans

jwai
04-11-2021, 07:51 PM

Thanks in advance.

Hans

Basically same as C360.

Synthohol
04-11-2021, 08:41 PM
Sometimes you can use an SMTP relay that will add the layer of security.
that machine died in 2017 with no further support.
they really need to upgrade the copier.
if they ask why tell them the same reason nobody uses windows 95 anymore. its dead.

tsbservice
04-11-2021, 08:51 PM
Sometimes you can use an SMTP relay that will add the layer of security.
that machine died in 2017 with no further support.
they really need to upgrade the copier.
if they ask why tell them the same reason nobody uses windows 95 anymore. its dead.

I think it's what Hans has in hands. Sounds a bit strange to have them both share this old monster but gotta admit them for not putting it in landfill.

blackcat4866
04-11-2021, 09:01 PM
I don't see how scan to email provides this separation they seem to desire. There is an equal amount of separation with SMB or FTP. They would only need specific rights set up to two or more share folders: Folder A is viewable by user B, C, & D, folder E is viewable by users F, G, & H.

If your bizhub 353 cannot use SSL/TLS, scan to email from a public provider just won't be possible.
=^..^=

Synthohol
04-11-2021, 11:32 PM
IMHO scan to email uses the from (admin) address. if someone replies to it they may never know.
scan to SMB/FTP and attach from your OWN email is best. provides separation and does not pose a privacy/security risk.
hell, scan to a flash drive and carry it back to your PC and attach to your email.

or just buy a machine from this century that supports SSL/TSL.

ya cant bend over backwards for old machines anymore. its counterproductive.

emujo2
04-12-2021, 01:37 PM
Check out Google workspace. If your customer is adamant about using this machine to send email then have them purchase an admin account. Once done you can use unauthenticated gmail over port 25..Acts as a relay for the device IP address. E

srvctec
04-12-2021, 07:47 PM
IMHO scan to email uses the from (admin) address. if someone replies to it they may never know.
scan to SMB/FTP and attach from your OWN email is best. provides separation and does not pose a privacy/security risk.
hell, scan to a flash drive and carry it back to your PC and attach to your email.

or just buy a machine from this century that supports SSL/TSL.

ya cant bend over backwards for old machines anymore. its counterproductive.

Totally agree with you on everything here except the C353 series doesn't have scan to USB option. That came out with C360 series.

Custom Search