PDA

View Full Version : C3320i and fan noise, even in sleep mode

Custom Search

Pages : [1] 2

olivenoire
05-13-2021, 08:28 AM
Hi, I'm the owner and end user of a C3320i.
I've bought it cash a week ago, no monthly fee for maintenance or whatsoever etc. (will print max 250 sheet a month).
The machine was initiated by the local KM dealer.

I've succeed to setup everything I need, Wifi, scan to mail, easy thanks to admin password I've find on the net

my complain is fan noise. FM1 and FM2 constantly turn on even in sleep mode.
Is there a way to go in a more deep sleep mode?

For sure I've tried the service mode. But the 16 digit code from the service manual was changed.

2 questions :
- is it possible to setup or turn of fan when in sleep mode
- If yes, in admin mode or service mode

regards,

PS : I've check the consumption. In sleep mode constantly @ 9W

rrrohan
05-13-2021, 11:04 AM
What's service code did U try?

I'd do 92729272 or

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

avecosat
05-13-2021, 12:21 PM
Service mode : Engine FW 37 OFF to ON ( silent mode level )

olivenoire
05-13-2021, 01:08 PM
What's service code did U try?

I'd do 92729272 or

I've try both. Obviously the dealer changed it. Will give a call tomorrow.

olivenoire
05-13-2021, 01:11 PM

Thank you,

Will save me time as soon I will have access to service mode.
Sad the seller did not do it by itself.

rrrohan
05-13-2021, 01:26 PM
Thank you,

Will save me time as soon I will have access to service mode.
Sad the seller did not do it by itself.

if you have access to escalations you can just request a reset code to clear the service passwords

tsbservice
05-13-2021, 02:52 PM
if you have access to escalations you can just request a reset code to clear the service passwords
Looks like enduser to me.

rrrohan
05-13-2021, 03:31 PM
edit : wrong thread

olivenoire
05-13-2021, 08:41 PM

available for end users?

tsbservice
05-13-2021, 08:44 PM
available for end users?

None

olivenoire
05-14-2021, 01:05 PM
And finally, the seller accepts to give me his Service Code.

As a result I will be able (I hope) to configure this

regards,

olivenoire
05-14-2021, 01:21 PM

I've found "software switch". But where is engine Switch?

olivenoire
05-14-2021, 01:24 PM
wrong post

olivenoire
05-14-2021, 04:58 PM
Find!!!! Thanks service manual

Easy

Edit : now, after "force sleep", the machine auto get out of sleep mode??

olivenoire
05-15-2021, 07:07 PM
Some news :

Machine does not stay anymore in deep sleep mode.

Short press : goes sleep mode, fan on even with flag 37 on
Long press : goes in deep sleep mode, then immediately goes out of sleep mode

Any idea?

mga
05-15-2021, 07:14 PM
And finally, the seller accepts to give me his Service Code.

As a result I will be able (I hope) to configure this

regards,

Being a end user you could do more damage than good contact supplier again and get them to sort.

Phil B.
05-15-2021, 07:22 PM
Being a end user you could do more damage than good contact supplier again and get them to sort.

+1 no end user should have access to Service Mode... quick way to brick a unit!

olivenoire
05-16-2021, 07:31 AM
okay understood

olivenoire
05-16-2021, 01:50 PM
+1 no end user should have access to Service Mode... quick way to brick a unit!

just want to state.
Yes I'm an end user, and you are right it could be dangerous.

I have to admin it is strange to enter in service mode only to turn off the fan in "deep sleep mode".

Anyway, reading carefully the service manual as the engineer am I, I found it is not a complex task. I will not try to update the FW or something like this.
You are right there is a risk to brick it and I don't want.

I've finally succeed.

I just have to admit menus and / or submenus are a bit weird and not very clear or logic. But not impossible to understand .
And power setting are weird to. How the hell it is possible to put "power setting" under "maintenance and Timer setting". So strange!! :)

blackcat4866
05-16-2021, 02:54 PM
I'll be the first to say that the menu arrangements are not always logical. =^..^=

olivenoire
05-16-2021, 03:37 PM
For the first time I found menu arrangements worse than my Nikon Z6. lol

Anyway the strange thing is this machine can't go on silent mode by itself, I need to force long press to power button. So uncommon ...

And in this case the printer can't print but manual press on button to wake up.

real mess

tsbservice
05-16-2021, 04:43 PM

I just have to admit menus and / or submenus are a bit weird and not very clear or logic. But not impossible to understand .
And power setting are weird to. How the hell it is possible to put "power setting" under "maintenance and Timer setting". So strange!! :)

Power settings are in System settings, from there you can change the time machine enters Low Power Mode and Sleep mode (available range: [2] to [60] minutes).

[Utility]

[Utility]

[System Settings]

[Power Settings]

Phil B.
05-16-2021, 04:48 PM
Power settings are in System settings, from there you can change the time machine enters Low Power Mode and Sleep mode (available range: [2] to [60] minutes).

[Utility]

[Utility]

[System Settings]

[Power Settings]

this cat is an end user... he shouldn't be playing in admin mode.. nor any mode IMHO

tsbservice
05-16-2021, 05:08 PM
this cat is an end user... he shouldn't be playing in admin mode.. nor any mode IMHO
Yes I know Phil. By default these settings are restricted to the users by Administrator.
Imho these days so much settings can be scr..d by users, admin or even a tech. Those machines are getting more and more sophisticated, many functions are binded with other etc.

olivenoire
05-16-2021, 05:38 PM

[Utility]

[Utility]

[System Settings]

[Power Settings]

Thank for information.
The real problem is this printer makes it's fan constantly on. Low power or sleep mode do not change anything. Need Service mode, not even Admin mode. So strange.

olivenoire
05-16-2021, 05:49 PM

Sorry English is not my mother tongue.

You are right, but I'm not only end user but owner too.
I'm okay with you, I should not play with service mode.

But to make the printer Silent in sleep mode, it is mandatory. Even Admin does not offer this. Not normal IMHO.
Timer does not help go the printer in silent mode.
Also I have to use admin mode to configure SMTP, scan to mail etc

About service mode :
there is nothing too complex. I mean, I will never change the mother board or other important parts. I will not reset counter nor change serial number.
I will not do something I do not understand after carefully read the service manual.

What I think for what I need in Admin mode :
Nothing too complex but strange menus structure. Probably with time, it will be easier.

About eco / sleep:
Obvisously this a weak feature at Minolta. Not easy to setup a silent mode and in "deep sleep" the only to turn off the fan, the printer will no longer receive data from network. I mean if not in deep sleep mode + SW 37 on, the consumption is 9W and FM1 + FM2 on. In my case, the real problem is ir is too noisy in a little office.

To summarize : c3320i (and maybe others KM) got a real problem of conception. They should be silent by default.

PS : At least I've learn lot of thing. My next copier will be a Ricoh :) Probably a C300.

tsbservice
05-16-2021, 06:06 PM
PS : At least I've learn lot of thing. My next copier will be a Ricoh :) Probably a C300.

This time you did wrong selection. With small A4 color AIO MFPs you need to go with Ricoh not KM.
A3 color models are different story in this segment KM sometimes even excels Ricoh and other brands.

olivenoire
05-16-2021, 06:15 PM
This time you did wrong selection. With small A4 color AIO MFPs you need to go with Ricoh not KM.
A3 color models are different story in this segment KM sometimes even excels Ricoh and other brands.

In fact my first choice was Ricoh. Already work with them, great copier in my mind.
But the reseller does not offer me to sell without a contrat, which I do not want. So I decide to black list this seller. :)
Xerox is a no go.
Other brand, don't know.

As a result I go KM (c3320i get a really small foot print). I have no regret except this little "noise" problem.

blackcat4866
05-16-2021, 06:37 PM
One last thing before I drop this: There is a reason to have fans that run constantly. The power supply, and often the fuser are generating heat constantly, and the heat must be dispersed or the MFP will overheat. Silent mode shuts down the print engine, but the power supply is still generating heat always. The noise "problem" is, in my mind, the normal operation of the device.

If the printer is so close to you that the "noise" is unbearable, maybe the printer should be located somewhere else.
Ok, I'm done. =^..^=

occus
05-17-2021, 09:10 AM
Yes it is true this series 3320i/3350i/4050i have a noisy fan for the cpu. I asked KM if there was a solution, but there wasn't one.

olivenoire
05-17-2021, 09:27 AM
Yes it is true this series 3320i/3350i/4050i have a noisy fan for the cpu. I asked KM if there was a solution, but there wasn't one.

It is because they spend all the possible money / budget in R&D to make UI / menus of admin and service as complex as possible. :)

It seems the only way is to use the flag 37 and put it in deep sleep using long press on power button. Bit weird.
Or to switch off

One thing I have to admit . KM end users menus are fine. Print quality is fine. Scan quality is fine. Connectivity is fine. And that is the most important.

I will try Ricoh an another day.

tsbservice
05-17-2021, 11:11 AM
CPU cooling fan will stop in sleep state/sub power off only if power consumption in sleep mode is set to "Reduce" or "High", normally it's "Not reduce”.

olivenoire
05-17-2021, 01:01 PM
Interesting.

I need to investigate and try again. At first try fan was never stopped and turns days and night. (9W consumption).

If I'm right fan does not stop while pressing power and stopped while long pressing power + switch 37 on

occus
05-17-2021, 01:48 PM
In my case the fan stops in deep standby with default of the box settings. It is only a problem in a silent enviroment and the customer is sitting near the device.
I have changed the fan with a cpu fan from a bizhub c220 for a test, they have a bit less power but the noise persists. The bizhub c220 can switch off, the new i-series does not.
And it is not a fan decibel problem but rather a problem of placement of the fan.. air flow directly out of the housing without an insulating deflection.

olivenoire
05-30-2021, 08:56 PM
Hi,

Thanks for sharing. This is what I think too.
DO you have some references for alternative fan?

occus
05-31-2021, 03:31 PM
I wrote to change the fan is not the solution. :)

olivenoire
05-31-2021, 03:54 PM
You are right.

Did you try something else?

Actually I just switch off the printer (thank @ home apple and Eve ).

olivenoire
06-26-2021, 03:14 PM
update of my printer :

I just want to share something as strange as good.

since a week, the fan of my Konica is now switch off will in deep sleep.
No human intervention

I don't know if it is an update (OTA?), if it is by design (for exemple some kind of break in period), but now I can't hear this noise at the end of the day

This make me love my machine again

regards

kaisa
07-21-2021, 07:59 AM
In europe you can order modified base boards via the erc portal. Special firmware must also be installed (GG3-E9)

olivenoire
07-21-2021, 09:41 AM
"In europe you can order modified base boards via the erc portal. Special firmware must also be installed (GG3-E9)"

Interesting.

Now for unknown reason, fan does not switch off anymore when in deep sleep.

I do really really really prefer Ricoh... Dooh

occus
09-30-2021, 12:18 PM
Today i have a brand new +3320i with a fan that does not stop in sleep mode.. he runs constantly and after the machine is in standby the fan run for 10 sec. 0.5sec off and on again /repeating on of on of.
Its my first one with this behavior.

Any hints?

i-have-fax-problems
09-30-2021, 01:43 PM
Today i have a brand new +3320i with a fan that does not stop in sleep mode.. he runs constantly and after the machine is in standby the fan run for 10 sec. 0.5sec off and on again /repeating on of on of.
Its my first one with this behavior.

Any hints?

Here in Europe the only solution for this annoying issue (due to bad design I guess) is to order a modificated base board and replace it.
And you have to install a special firmware.
Are you a technician?

olivenoire
09-30-2021, 02:01 PM
Are you a technician?

Hi,

Thank you for reply.
unfortunately no. I'm not a technician but power user. I'm not afraid with admin functions.
While I've bought this machine and create an account here, I've discover some kind of black box :)

For sure my next copier will not be a Konica. Konica is great quality but admin experience and end user experience is pain in the ass

(i do not even found how to simply scan to multiple mail only by selecting mail destination without selecting add then validate etc)

occus
10-04-2021, 12:21 PM
Here in Europe the only solution for this annoying issue (due to bad design I guess) is to order a modificated base board and replace it.
And you have to install a special firmware.
Are you a technician?

Yes i'm technician and dealer. But i think here is a other problem. New machine and the other machine same batch runs correct.

olivenoire
10-04-2021, 01:13 PM
Yes i'm technician and dealer. But i think here is a other problem. New machine and the other machine same batch runs correct.

You mean some others C3320i can go in sleep mode without fan ?

Just crazy.

Will contact the dealer

i-have-fax-problems
10-04-2021, 02:52 PM
Yes, it seems to depend on the network environment. In some network environments the problem occurs in others not.

olivenoire
10-04-2021, 04:40 PM
That's weird.

Mine own a wifi card. Maybe because of?

occus
10-06-2021, 10:15 AM
Yes, it seems to depend on the network environment. In some network environments the problem occurs in others not.

Yes absolut correct... it seems to depend on the network.! I have changed the machine and inhouse it works(both works inhouse) but on customer side the same problem with the fan.

@i-have-fax-problems
Do you now is that a Mac enviroment in your case? in my case it is a Mac network...

occus
10-06-2021, 10:18 AM
That's weird.

Mine own a wifi card. Maybe because of?

Do you have Windows or Mac?
You can make a test... plug out the networkcable and see what happens... maybe with usb it works better?

olivenoire
10-06-2021, 04:11 PM
Do you have Windows or Mac?
You can make a test... plug out the networkcable and see what happens... maybe with usb it works better?

I own a Mac. I hope this is not the root cause.

(I can't even print 1 sided using Mac)

Custom Search