PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous Bizhub C300i - Freezes during use

Custom Search

Pages : [1] 2

Rad01
05-13-2021, 04:56 PM
Hey guys.

First off,
This forum has helped me tons over the years so a big thanks goes out to everyone for that!

I've run into an issue on a C300i. Read up on all the threads about freezing/boot issues on these models and they all, in some way, relate to the storage board. (STRGB)
This client's machine boots up as normal runs okay until a job is processed. User releases the job/sends a scan and a few seconds after using the panel, the device freezes to the point where switching off the power doesn't clear anything. Only way to restart device is by yanking the power cord.

I've also noticed that im unable to enter SM the normal way as device freezes just after entering. What works is to perform all SM functions when entering SM from the trouble reset screen.
On our side of the world these issues hasn't really reared its head. So not much info to go with.

To date I've :
Upped F/W to E9 - no change
Ran 9 series diagnostics&recovery tool - results OK but no change
Factory reset the machine - no change
Format storage (physical) - hangs at 88% for 2 hours
Format storage (logical) - no change
Disabled marketplace - no change
Hdd - low power/sleep settings - no change

What im planning on doing next is to externally format STRGB.

Device is 1 of 3 at this client, well under a year old, roughly 80k on the clock and only this 1 presents these symptoms.
Any further advice would be appreciated.

bizhub1
11-08-2021, 08:58 PM
Hey guys.

First off,
This forum has helped me tons over the years so a big thanks goes out to everyone for that!

I've run into an issue on a C300i. Read up on all the threads about freezing/boot issues on these models and they all, in some way, relate to the storage board. (STRGB)
This client's machine boots up as normal runs okay until a job is processed. User releases the job/sends a scan and a few seconds after using the panel, the device freezes to the point where switching off the power doesn't clear anything. Only way to restart device is by yanking the power cord.

I've also noticed that im unable to enter SM the normal way as device freezes just after entering. What works is to perform all SM functions when entering SM from the trouble reset screen.
On our side of the world these issues hasn't really reared its head. So not much info to go with.

To date I've :
Upped F/W to E9 - no change
Ran 9 series diagnostics&recovery tool - results OK but no change
Factory reset the machine - no change
Format storage (physical) - hangs at 88% for 2 hours
Format storage (logical) - no change
Disabled marketplace - no change
Hdd - low power/sleep settings - no change

What im planning on doing next is to externally format STRGB.

Device is 1 of 3 at this client, well under a year old, roughly 80k on the clock and only this 1 presents these symptoms.
Any further advice would be appreciated.

Hello, I was wandering if you ever figured this out? I have one doing same exact thing. I have storage bd. On order. Thanks

tsbservice
11-08-2021, 09:12 PM
Hello, I was wandering if you ever figured this out? I have one doing saStorageme exact thing. I have storage bd. On order. Thanks
Replace storage board(SSD). They put not exactly top notch inside.

bizhub1
11-09-2021, 06:17 PM

Thank you

trscolin
11-11-2021, 12:09 AM
Thank you

I have put a SDCARD in as a temp solution when there has been a storage board issue if I don't have a spare storage board in order to the machine back up. You have to change the storage in service mode to SD Card

Then have been able to flash FW and remove SD and put storage board back in and flash the FW again.

Have also had the CPU board be the issue as well.

tsbservice
11-11-2021, 07:07 AM
I have put a SDCARD in as a temp solution when there has been a storage board issue if I don't have a spare storage board in order to the machine back up. You have to change the storage in service mode to SD Card

Then have been able to flash FW and remove SD and put storage board back in and flash the FW again.

Hi trscolin cool trick Thanks! Do you know will it work if machine is stuck at 25/50% boot screen and You're unable to enter service mode?

Gift
11-11-2021, 11:55 AM
There's a storage board controller firmware needed for some units to prevent this problem and avoid SB damage (pretty expensive, little fucker...).

If thge storage controller shows version AA2J0Y0-6501-G01-07 you should update.

Reviving a faulty SB with an external NVME adapter (reformating) wasn't possible so far in the few cases we tried.

Albonline
11-11-2021, 07:59 PM

True they put cheap drives in, but the real culprit is the ssd controller. upgrade fw to j9 or k8 and update the boot file at the same time to install a new ssd controller architecture.

copier tech
11-11-2021, 09:51 PM
Hi trscolin cool trick Thanks! Do you know will it work if machine is stuck at 25/50% boot screen and You're unable to enter service mode?

There is a recovery tool for this issue.

tmmdmmm
11-19-2021, 06:18 AM

Hey! I'm going through threads after my 4th or 5th storage board issue. Are you saying you saved a dead/issued storage board by temporarily putting a microSD in, flashing FW, putting the same storage board in, reflash firmware?
If so, did that bring back configs for scanning? That might be a huge time saver. I've replaced several storage boards following the SM and protech instructions and recover data never did a thing

occus
11-19-2021, 11:27 AM
There's a storage board controller firmware needed for some units to prevent this problem and avoid SB damage (pretty expensive, little fucker...).

If thge storage controller shows version AA2J0Y0-6501-G01-07 you should update.

Reviving a faulty SB with an external NVME adapter (reformating) wasn't possible so far in the few cases we tried.

Do you have more information about preventing SB damage?

I have only this information:

The firmware G00-J9 contains a separate boot rom which is needed in case a Phison 96 layer SSD is or will be installed. The boot rom is not automatically installed when updating G00-J9. A separate procedure need to be performed which is described in the document (BootProgram_Update.pdf) which is attached to the Firmware DL in KNOVA.
It is not mandatory to perform the boot rom update in general but if a Phison 96 layer SSD is or will be installed.

In other words i need only the update if a replace the Storageboard with a new one (96layer)

Gift
11-19-2021, 12:10 PM

from FW documentation:

2. What changed

Storage Cotroller firmware for a storage made by Phison has been changed.

To fix the issue that a machine does not boot up with 25% indicator
To improve reliability

trscolin
11-19-2021, 08:03 PM
Hey! I'm going through threads after my 4th or 5th storage board issue. Are you saying you saved a dead/issued storage board by temporarily putting a microSD in, flashing FW, putting the same storage board in, reflash firmware?
If so, did that bring back configs for scanning? That might be a huge time saver. I've replaced several storage boards following the SM and protech instructions and recover data never did a thing

Most of the time the data restores. I generally try to create an export of every machine after its installed. I hate putting the address book back in manually.

copier tech
11-20-2021, 09:51 AM

What size/type of SD card did you use please?

Will get a few of these as a back up.

tsbservice
11-20-2021, 11:34 AM

I have only this information:

The firmware G00-J9 contains a separate boot rom which is needed in case a Phison 96 layer SSD is or will be installed. The boot rom is not automatically installed when updating G00-J9. A separate procedure need to be performed which is described in the document (BootProgram_Update.pdf) which is attached to the Firmware DL in KNOVA.
It is not mandatory to perform the boot rom update in general but if a Phison 96 layer SSD is or will be installed.

In other words i need only the update if a replace the Storageboard with a new one (96layer)
Any way to know if Phison SSD is installed in machine without removing covers :)

occus
11-22-2021, 02:37 PM
Any way to know if Phison SSD is installed in machine without removing covers :)
That was a good question!

Now i have the answer.

To find out which SSD is installed without opening the device you need to check
which Storage Controller Firmware version is installed in Service mode
AA2J0Y0-6505-G00-07: Phison 96-layer
AA2J0Y0-6501-G01-08: Phison 64-layer
AA2J0Y0-6501-G01-07: Phison 64-layer
AA2J0Y0-6502-G01-02: Tohshiba
AA2J0Y0-6503-G01-02: KIOXIA 96-layer

When you forget to update the boot rom when a Phison 96-layer SSD is installed,
the machine won’t boot up with 25% indicator.

tsbservice
11-22-2021, 07:03 PM
That was a good question!

Now i have the answer.

To find out which SSD is installed without opening the device you need to check
which Storage Controller Firmware version is installed in Service mode
AA2J0Y0-6505-G00-07: Phison 96-layer
AA2J0Y0-6501-G01-08: Phison 64-layer
AA2J0Y0-6501-G01-07: Phison 64-layer
AA2J0Y0-6502-G01-02: Tohshiba
AA2J0Y0-6503-G01-02: KIOXIA 96-layer

When you forget to update the boot rom when a Phison 96-layer SSD is installed,
the machine won’t boot up with 25% indicator.
This is another story. Thanks for clarification occus!
So in case of AA2J0Y0-6505-G00-07: Phison 96-layer how to proceed - update firstly boot ROM separately then whole Firmware?

mascan42
02-15-2022, 09:11 PM
I need to replace the storage board on a C250i. Is there any way to identify which type of storage board I have? The part # isn't the most recent: AA2JM72M00.

occus
02-16-2022, 10:07 AM
This is another story. Thanks for clarification occus!
So in case of AA2J0Y0-6505-G00-07: Phison 96-layer how to proceed - update firstly boot ROM separately then whole Firmware?

Yes

I need to replace the storage board on a C250i. Is there any way to identify which type of storage board I have? The part # isn't the most recent: AA2JM72M00.

That's a good question.It depends on whether you can still get into service mode. Or the label on the storage board.
In my case it was a toshiba SSD that was causing the problem.

The part Nr of the new ordered storage board was AA2JM72702 (26.08.2021)

This failure could mean that not only the Phison storage boards cause problems but also the Toshiba storage boards. And we have only a storage firmware Update for Phison SSD.
I have many devices with Toshiba AA2J0Y0-6502-G01-02 storage boards and I hope there are no more cases.

suomi
02-16-2022, 01:34 PM

mascan42
02-17-2022, 02:32 PM
I guess my real question is, if I don't know if my new storage board is the 96-layer or not, does it matter if I load the new boot rom with an older style board? Is the new boot program meant ONLY for the new boards, or is it backward compatible?

B0265
02-17-2022, 03:20 PM
You can upgrade to the new boot program even if the Phison 96-layer isn't installed.

tsbservice
02-17-2022, 03:53 PM
You can upgrade to the new boot program even if the Phison 96-layer isn't installed.
Is it worth?

Max
02-17-2022, 05:49 PM
I found that by formatting the ssd in the computer, sometimes recovering it. It's worth a try considering the price.

mascan42
02-17-2022, 06:55 PM
Kind of a dumb question, but considering how much trouble I've had when replacing these storage boards, I'll ask anyway: are there any extra steps needed when the machine has Bizhub Secure installed?

B0265
02-18-2022, 07:07 AM
Is it worth?
If we need to order a new storage board from now on we will probably get the 96 layer.
We upgrade the boot program on all new installations just as precaution.

tsbservice
02-18-2022, 07:20 AM
If we need to order a new storage board from now on we will probably get the 96 layer.
We upgrade the boot program on all new installations just as precaution.
OK now that make sense, good idea. Thanks for the tip.

mascan42
02-20-2022, 06:36 PM
OK, here's a question: I've had issues when replacing the storage board, where the MFP firmware won't load. This has happened several times since these machines came out. The MFP firmware fails at 70%. Partitioning the drive doesn't help. Usually the only thing that helps is using the reset tool to wipe the CPU board, and losing all settings and meters. Has anybody seen this, and what causes it?

Rad01
10-12-2022, 10:37 AM
Hi guys...

I was the original poster of this thread and didn't even realise that it went live or that i got replies.
I've been scrolling through these threads refreshing my memory on what i last done as I've just got a 360i in my workshop with the dreaded 25% boot issue. stumbled across this thread only to find it was my post. (insert face palm emoji here)

I know tsbservice is going to have a field day with me for reviving a dead thread LOL:) but i thought I owe you guys the outcome.

The original issue was resolved by replacing the storage board. (which we all know by now is the cure)
Replaced with an aftermarket "off the shelf" ssd which matched the faulty one. Popped it into a m.2 nvme adaptor and formatted prior to fitting into device running B6 f/w and upping f/w accordingly. Device has been running perfectly since.

My new issue is the 360i I'm currently tackling which starts up and hangs 25% and that's that. Stays there for hours.
Can't run selfdiagnostics, can't run trouble shoot reset to access SM through backend, can't run F/W. Disconnected all peripherals no go, ran F/W without storage board installed, same just stuck on 25%.
I'm not sure what the current F/W is. Only thing out of the ordinary on client side is that they lost power to device overnight and when they got to office the next morning they noticed it wasn't booting.

I've pulled the storage board and whacked it into adaptor, it's currently running the format.

I'll keep you posted with the outcome if that's cool with you guys.

Gift
10-12-2022, 11:36 AM
Good look, I wasn't able to recover a faulty nvme yet by formating it via adapter. The MFPs also refuse to accept another nvme from a different machine - somehow they become "married". Didn't try to use a brand new "non-KM" one since I doubt this will work like the good old times.

tsbservice
10-12-2022, 03:58 PM
Hi guys...

I was the original poster of this thread and didn't even realise that it went live or that i got replies.
I've been scrolling through these threads refreshing my memory on what i last done as I've just got a 360i in my workshop with the dreaded 25% boot issue. stumbled across this thread only to find it was my post. (insert face palm emoji here)

I know tsbservice is going to have a field day with me for reviving a dead thread LOL:) but i thought I owe you guys the outcome.

The original issue was resolved by replacing the storage board. (which we all know by now is the cure)
Replaced with an aftermarket "off the shelf" ssd which matched the faulty one. Popped it into a m.2 nvme adaptor and formatted prior to fitting into device running B6 f/w and upping f/w accordingly. Device has been running perfectly since.

My new issue is the 360i I'm currently tackling which starts up and hangs 25% and that's that. Stays there for hours.
Can't run selfdiagnostics, can't run trouble shoot reset to access SM through backend, can't run F/W. Disconnected all peripherals no go, ran F/W without storage board installed, same just stuck on 25%.
I'm not sure what the current F/W is. Only thing out of the ordinary on client side is that they lost power to device overnight and when they got to office the next morning they noticed it wasn't booting.

I've pulled the storage board and whacked it into adaptor, it's currently running the format.

I' m all ears what you exactly did about replacing faulty storage board with ordinary one.
I was told that won't gonna work but I can be mistaken.

Rad01
10-12-2022, 05:11 PM
Hi guys...

So there were some errors with the strbd but finally managed to clear/format it. Threw it back into the machine but experienced the same issues. If I attempt a firmware boot it keeps rebooting I've tried waiting till the reboot then quickly pressing the stop button but it just loops. If I start up into T/R same story. If i don't quickly press the reset or stop button it eventually reboots into a white screen.
If i start up normally it just hangs on the 25% mark and stays there.

Will investigate further when back in workshop later this week.

Synthohol
10-12-2022, 05:21 PM
i have had 100% success so far with the GXX repair FW.

barber782
11-09-2022, 09:55 AM
@Synthohol what was the fw level? or was it the boot fw you fixed it with. I have one customer with 7 550i's and all of them are doing this freezing. Iv replaced the storage board on a few but some are still doing it.
Iv installed the latest boot fw that comes with M2 machine fw (after board replacement) and still get the same issue.

Cheers

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Synthohol
11-09-2022, 11:23 AM
the gxx is a diagnostic and repair FW, it just worked, i got lucky.
its shown me the cpu board was bad on another.

Copier repairman
11-11-2022, 05:01 PM
hello?
Thank you for your comments.
I also struggled with this issue a lot.
In the end, there was no answer other than a storage board.
Formatting with an external adapter did not help.
If you firmware the micro SD card as 64G, you can boot, copy, and print.
However, fax machines cannot be installed.
The animation display does not disappear on the screen.
Like Synthohol, I tried with recovery firmware but failed.
layer 64 SSDs must have firmware older than 2019.
I replaced 20, and as a result of checking, most of the dead SSDs were -E9 firmware.
-E9 or -J9 firmware is recommended only for layer 96 or higher.
layer 64 SSD can be copied with an external adapter and used in other devices.
The layer 96 SSD does not boot because it is copied to an external adapter.
I'll post the cause later.

texascopy1
02-27-2023, 04:46 PM
Morning guy's. Just received a used c360i into inventory - freezing @ 25%. It came in with a 64 ssd. Immediate ng on fw update w/ usb, all options pass. Tried another 64 no luck. Tried a 96 from another machine & got to 70% on controller. I'm thinking someone may have tried to swap ssd's before returning. Where can I find the boot update, I think going to 96 may solve this issue. Thanks

tsbservice
02-27-2023, 06:38 PM
Morning guy's. Just received a used c360i into inventory - freezing @ 25%. It came in with a 64 ssd. Immediate ng on fw update w/ usb, all options pass. Tried another 64 no luck. Tried a 96 from another machine & got to 70% on controller. I'm thinking someone may have tried to swap ssd's before returning. Where can I find the boot update, I think going to 96 may solve this issue. Thanks

PM.

texascopy1
02-27-2023, 07:50 PM
Completed rom update on c360i, no change. System doesn't recognize 64 ssd loaded and 96 loaded comed back incorrect memory, check memory. ??? going to try m2 adapter to format. side note - on the back of the ssd that came with the unit there are several exposed contacts, now hoping the cpu is bad. Will keep you all posted, any input will be appreciated as well.

Synthohol
02-27-2023, 08:58 PM
booting to a firmware stick select machine type and make sure they are not both "ff"

femaster
02-27-2023, 09:06 PM
Have you tried the Diagnosis and Recovery Tool yet? It tests the CPU and Storage boards and lets you know if either of them is bad. If the storage board is bad, it provides you the opportunity to recover the data from it if at all possible, transferring it to a USB flash drive, which then will allow you to replace the storage board and restore the data onto the new board.

Look for AA2J0Y0-F000-GXX-28.exe for the C360i model.

tsbservice
02-27-2023, 09:41 PM
Have you tried the Diagnosis and Recovery Tool yet? It tests the CPU and Storage boards and lets you know if either of them is bad. If the storage board is bad, it provides you the opportunity to recover the data from it if at all possible, transferring it to a USB flash drive, which then will allow you to replace the storage board and restore the data onto the new board.

Look for AA2J0Y0-F000-GXX-28.exe for the C360i model.

I'm curious did this tool ever worked for you?
It's giving OK all the time when we use it on bad boards 🤣

texascopy1
02-27-2023, 09:59 PM
in km fw on thing I'm finding is G00-n5 & n4 -where should I be looking. Does any one have the pre 2019 fw for c250/c300/c360i. It's a 2021 mfr but maybe it doesn't like the newer fw

Markks
02-28-2023, 12:08 AM
if you put in new storage board you need to update the boot rom see attached

femaster
02-28-2023, 04:06 AM
I'm curious did this tool ever worked for you?
It's giving OK all the time when we use it on bad boards 🤣

To be honest, I've only ever tried it on a known good machine just to see what it did and what it looked like when in use. I've not yet used it on a known bad machine.

femaster
02-28-2023, 04:13 AM
in km fw on thing I'm finding is G00-n5 & n4 -where should I be looking. Does any one have the pre 2019 fw for c250/c300/c360i. It's a 2021 mfr but maybe it doesn't like the newer fw

If you have access to the US Konica website, it's found in the "Special Firmware" tab with a release date of 04-18-2022.

texascopy1
02-28-2023, 04:44 PM
Did the boot rom update, partition clear procedure and tried to load firmware, still no go on 2 different ssd's. I think I may be using the wrong firmware. I downloaded fw_aa2j0y0-f000-g00-n4.exe & n5.exe from km fw tab. Is this the correct fw? I'm seeing others talk about .18 fw but I can't find it anywhere. can anyone pm a link to it

Rad01
03-02-2023, 02:37 PM
So here's my update as the OP.
After months of back n fourth, the clients insurance wrote-off the device and is covering for replacement.
We haven't gotten any models similar to use parts from for testing and the insurance will probably collect the faulty device to be discarded of so i haven't really come down to the bottom of this issue.
What i can say is, I've already attempted all of the suggestion suplied by you guys with no change to the outcome. That device still switches on into the boot screen stuck on 25% and just stays there no matter what i do.
So thanks to all for giving feedback and suggestions, really much appreciated.

I've just looked into the history of this device and chatted to one of the techs and found that after setting it up a few years ago they delivered to the client and got a white pixilated/fuzzy type screen on startup and the techs unplugged the screen display port and plugged it back in again. This issue was reported twice in its life at the client and some how i wasn't made aware of it... Could be related not entirely sure, just throwing it into the mix.

Thanks again to all. I know i can always count on you okes to give sound advice.

Mitch Barron
03-02-2023, 03:05 PM
So here's my update as the OP.
After months of back n fourth, the clients insurance wrote-off the device and is covering for replacement.
We haven't gotten any models similar to use parts from for testing and the insurance will probably collect the faulty device to be discarded of so i haven't really come down to the bottom of this issue.
What i can say is, I've already attempted all of the suggestion suplied by you guys with no change to the outcome. That device still switches on into the boot screen stuck on 25% and just stays there no matter what i do.
So thanks to all for giving feedback and suggestions, really much appreciated.

I've just looked into the history of this device and chatted to one of the techs and found that after setting it up a few years ago they delivered to the client and got a white pixilated/fuzzy type screen on startup and the techs unplugged the screen display port and plugged it back in again. This issue was reported twice in its life at the client and some how i wasn't made aware of it... Could be related not entirely sure, just throwing it into the mix.

Thanks again to all. I know i can always count on you okes to give sound advice.

Hey, did you ever replace the CPU?
I had a 450i that was doing this, I had replaced the storege board, but that didnt fix till I replace the CPU.

Rad01
03-02-2023, 03:22 PM
Hey, did you ever replace the CPU?
I had a 450i that was doing this, I had replaced the storege board, but that didnt fix till I replace the CPU.

Hi Mitch, no. Didn't have a donor machine from that range to take one from for testing and don't foresee one coming in before the dead machine leaves with insurance. I'm pretty confident that the CPUB will resolve this issue.

Custom Search