PDA

View Full Version : Laser printer toner transfer methods

Custom Search

yoeljacobsen
05-20-2021, 05:10 PM
I have a question regarding the theory of color laser printer operation.

Going through the service manuals of a few machines, I noticed two patterns (if I read correctly):

1. The toner is transferred directly from the drums to the paper (for instance - Brother MFC-L series).
2. The toner is transferred to the belt and from the belt to the paper (for instance - Kyocera M6035, Lexmark cs720de)

What are the pros and cons of each method? does it affect the print quality and amount of toner waste?

Phil B.
05-20-2021, 05:27 PM

Going through the service manuals of a few machines, I noticed two patterns (if I read correctly):

1. The toner is transferred directly from the drums to the paper (for instance - Brother MFC-L series).
2. The toner is transferred to the belt and from the belt to the paper (for instance - Kyocera M6035, Lexmark cs720de)

What are the pros and cons of each method? does it affect the print quality and amount of toner waste?

i suggest you register your profile...

all of your questions are explained in the manual

Reading Required

tsbservice
05-20-2021, 05:48 PM

Not quite true i.e. MFC-L9570CDW uses transfer belt.
Generally speaking most(if not any) modern A3 devices use belt system. Especially color devices because it allows much more precise color quality and color registration control thus high quality.
But transfer belt requires some physical space and cost. You cannot put it in small cheap A4 device ;)

yoeljacobsen
05-20-2021, 06:03 PM
Not quite true i.e. MFC-L9570CDW uses transfer belt.

Yes, it does have a belt, but look a the paper path from the service manual:

And the description of the belt (p. 2-9): "Feed the paper to the drum unit and transfer toner on the paper. "

Phil B.
05-20-2021, 06:36 PM
Yes, it does have a belt, but look a the paper path from the service manual:

And the description of the belt (p. 2-9): "Feed the paper to the drum unit and transfer toner on the paper. "

it is done on the transfer belt that MOVES the paper.

tsbservice
05-20-2021, 06:54 PM
Correct brother. Again due to small footprint of A4 devices and depending on design sometimes there is no different way for paper sideways.

yoeljacobsen
05-20-2021, 07:01 PM

So is it really a transfer belt?

What did Brother gain from this method? After all, it forced such a convoluted paper path vs. using the belt for primary/secondary transfer?

Phil B.
05-20-2021, 07:05 PM

What did Brother gain from this method? After all, it forced such a convoluted paper path vs. using the belt for primary/secondary transfer?

with a color machine the color toners have different biases ... therefore a different charge is needed to transfer the toner from drum to page... the 4 rollers in the T belt provide the needed charge to do that.

here again that info is covered in the Service manual

yoeljacobsen
05-20-2021, 07:18 PM
here again that info is covered in the Service manual

The manual describes the how, not the why (the engineering compromises).

tsbservice
05-20-2021, 07:24 PM

Yes it's transfer belt.

Besides you're asking some abstract questions neither of us can know answers. We are service engineers not design engineers nor accountants.

yoeljacobsen
05-20-2021, 07:33 PM
Yes it's transfer belt.

Besides you're asking some abstract questions neither of us can know answers. We are service engineers not design engineers nor accountants.

Well, I hoped the "hands-on" experts will have some insight into this topic

Thank you for replying and sorry for the impractical question.

slimslob
05-21-2021, 06:45 AM
The main difference between a direct to paper system and an ITB, Intermediate Transfer Belt, has to so with the paper.

Drums last longer when they are not subjected to contact with the potentially abrasive surface of the paper.
Different types and thicknesses of paper require different transfer currents. With an ITB system only the current of the PTR, Paper Transfer Roller, need to be adjusted.
ProCon, Process Control, to maintain print quality is easier with an ITB. Individual color patches are applied to the ITB and read by the Image Density sensor. This allows the toner concentration in each development unit to be adjusted for optimal quality. One of the patches is printed diagonally to allow for adjusting line position of each color.

As for the systems using a belt to carry the paper past the drums, many suffer a jitter problem as the trail edge of the paper leaves the registration roller.

Drivee
07-08-2021, 06:54 AM
I understand that you wish to learn something. That is ok.
Brother move to that type of print as using transfer belt will be more precise and print quality will be better, expecialy if we know that Brother have really bad print comaparing to HP/Canon. So they just follow trends.
btw, Brother dont have waste toner, all excess toner will be returned back to toner tank. That is reason why charge on corona wire will be increaed from 0% to 100% yield. New cartridge will reset charge to default.

Custom Search