PDA

View Full Version : Kon/Min Firmware

Custom Search

copyman
06-24-2021, 12:18 AM
Could never get a straight answer for this question. Even from K/M instructors at schools......

"When you download SPECIAL firmware is all the previous Special Firmware's included in the download or just for the issues in the title?"

Thanks

Woxner
06-24-2021, 02:38 AM
I was told at school is has the prev as well not just the fix

copier tech
06-24-2021, 08:12 AM
Could never get a straight answer for this question. Even from K/M instructors at schools......

"When you download SPECIAL firmware is all the previous Special Firmware's included in the download or just for the issues in the title?"

Thanks

This was discussed recently.

Simply install the latest available firmware it includes all previous bug fixes.

Some sites call it "special" others call it "intermediate" basically these are releases in-between each mass production release.

emujo2
06-24-2021, 02:43 PM
From the way I have learned..Special f/w is used to correct certain issues under certain conditions. Special f/w is not generally used in a typical situation. Regular F/W addresses issues that are common across the line.

tsbservice
06-24-2021, 03:27 PM
My underastanding is going like that.
You have mass production lets say M1 then after year M2 etc. In between you have some special FW versions lets say S1, S2, S3 fixing bugs, issues and adding features sometimes.
That it is then M1-S1-S2-S3-M2. So for this example S3 is special FW based on M1 mass FW and including S1 and S2 fixes plus some more fixes. M2 FW will include all S1+S2+S3 and so on.

Special note for customized FW versions which are designed for some very specific client/environment scenarios and unless your machine isn't in exactly the same position shouldn't be considered in the field.

Well, I may be wrong :)

Synaux
06-26-2021, 01:50 AM
My underastanding is going like that.
You have mass production lets say M1 then after year M2 etc. In between you have some special FW versions lets say S1, S2, S3 fixing bugs, issues and adding features sometimes.
That it is then M1-S1-S2-S3-M2. So for this example S3 is special FW based on M1 mass FW and including S1 and S2 fixes plus some more fixes. M2 FW will include all S1+S2+S3 and so on.

Special note for customized FW versions which are designed for some very specific client/environment scenarios and unless your machine isn't in exactly the same position shouldn't be considered in the field.

Well, I may be wrong :)

I brought this up myself not terribly long ago.
This is my logical conclusion and as I recall, the general consensus.
(But I wouldn't put money on it being reality.)

The only way to confirm this is to install a special firmware on a machine that meets the criteria for that specific SFW (and have it actually fix the issue).
Then install the newest base FW and see if the issue comes back.
If anyone takes the time to actually do this, I would would welcome the results

(FW is a lot simpler and less finicky nowadays, but I still have a little voice in the back of my head asking "are you sure you really want to risk a power outage or I/O corruption" so I probably wont ever do it myself).

And I wouldn't put it past KM to be inconsistent in implementing all special FW into all base FW. Furthermore, there might be instances where the special firmware must be a standalone FW. For instance, it might need to bypass some base FW code to fix a specific issue.

Custom Search