PDA

View Full Version : Error Code c450i SMB - Cannot scan to ADS shared folder

Custom Search

HeliIT
07-04-2021, 01:43 PM
Hi everyone,

I have just replaced one of our 2 long use C454 network MFP's with a new C450i - our supplier assured us it was compatible with our Windows ADS environment.

I run various Win VM servers and the 2012R2 ADS/DC/File server has been in use for scanning jobs by the 454's to scan to shared folders for years, no previous problems via SMB to those destinations and still in use by the remaining 454. In other words, this is not a new share or user authentication error - the other 454 is still scanning to this folder with the very same credentials.

Enter the new c450i and the problems began.

When trying to add an address for the SMB scan destination, when using "Check Connection" it says "connection was successful". Great, seems to see the host, both via IP and UNC address of the DC/file server.

When clicking "Reference" after adding host name and share path it appears to find the DC at the top level, I would've expected it to be able to drill right down to the share but don't know if it's supposed to display to that level in the address book SMB entry setup.

However, when scanning a job at the machine, it fails with error codes 16713745 or 16712685 which list as "Server connection error" and "The user name is not specified" in the manual. User name is most definitely specified and the "connection check" was successful so where in the authentication is it breaking down?

The big question before I waste any more time going down a dead-end street - can the new Bizhub FW scan to ADS shared directory environment , yes or no?

I have found a couple of forums saying that it is not compatible (SMB 1.0/2.0 etc), use FTP or share to workstation but going back to creating a shared folder on a client PC HDD, without a Delorean nearby is too terrible to contemplate. I hope that isn't the solution

Appreciate it if anyone can confirm if SMB scan to a Windows file server in ADS is actually possible on the C650i/C550i/C450i series.

Thanks

rrrohan
07-05-2021, 02:45 AM
if it says user name error what format are you writing the username?

domain\username? or just username

tsbservice
07-05-2021, 07:44 AM
I would check under network settings that SMB client setting is set to NTLMN v2 only.
Some SMB servers may reject communication with client when SMB1 is included in negotiations.

HeliIT
07-05-2021, 09:02 AM
if it says user name error what format are you writing the username?

domain\username? or just username

I think we are on the right track - if I use domain\username it gives the pink error code: "ERROR - wrong username or password"

If I use username only it gives "ERROR - Failed to connect to server"

So I'm thinking username only is the way the 450 wants it but it isn't getting the credentials through, even changed to NTLMv2 only

rrrohan
07-05-2021, 09:42 AM
I think we are on the right track - if I use domain\username it gives the pink error code: "ERROR - wrong username or password"

If I use username only it gives "ERROR - Failed to connect to server"

So I'm thinking username only is the way the 450 wants it but it isn't getting the credentials through, even changed to NTLMv2 only

also if u turn on display network error codes it will give us more to go by.

server connection errors are very misleading on KM

also on server check event log
Event Viewer - App Service Logs - microsoft - windows - SMBclient - audit

will give clues

HeliIT
07-05-2021, 10:20 AM
also if u turn on display network error codes it will give us more to go by.

server connection errors are very misleading on KM

also on server check event log
Event Viewer - App Service Logs - microsoft - windows - SMBclient - audit

will give clues

OK - Thx, turning display codes on now. Will revert with result

drowranger
07-05-2021, 11:02 AM
Had a similar issue with a changeover from a bizhub 224 to bizhub 368e. cause was bizhub 224 was setup on smbv1 and smbv1 was turned off on the newer model.
Please try DipSW-No.162, Hex02

Good luck !!

rrrohan
07-05-2021, 12:17 PM
Had a similar issue with a changeover from a bizhub 224 to bizhub 368e. cause was bizhub 224 was setup on smbv1 and smbv1 was turned off on the newer model.
Please try DipSW-No.162, Hex02

Good luck !!

yeah but smb1 was discontinued for a reason, i would only use this to confirm issue but not leave it as perm solution or your gonnacry pun intended

HeliIT
07-05-2021, 04:52 PM
I would check under network settings that SMB client setting is set to NTLMN v2 only.
Some SMB servers may reject communication with client when SMB1 is included in negotiations.

Hi guys, thanks for all the input - you led me in the right direction and it seems to be resolved.

It turns out that SMB network settings on the 450i have to be set to only NTLM v1 (for 2012 R2 ADS server), SMB Browsing setting to "Enable Sub search" and SMB Server Settings OFF (disabled).

With that, and the Default Domain Name field populated with our DC name in the SMB CLIENT SETTING page, it finally started browsing the ADS file directory.

Also for others reference: in the Store Address path it should be "Shared\Scans" at the root level of the mapped drive share, with no leading or trailing backslashes, and the USER ID is the ADS username only, not domain\username.

Cheers!

Custom Search