PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous bizhub 458e - one strange scanning issue - low resolution scans no matter what

Custom Search

stepwik
07-14-2021, 12:27 AM
Hey,

Anyone else seen this issue on a bizhub 8e series (or any other for that matter)? We have a bizhub 458e under our service that spontaneously began sending all scan-to-email at a very low resolution, looks like about 200dpi. Regardless of what scan setting are used: PDF, Compact PDF, 600dpi, 400 dpi, does not matter what settings every scan has a very small file size and very low resolution image. Never seen anything like it. Firmware has been updated and reflashed, there are no user settings for this that I can find, also nothing in the DIPSW. Without a unit to point a finger at, can't figure out how this is possible!

Thanks,
Stephen

here is a little sample (need to zoom a bit to see the issues on your screen)

Synthohol
07-14-2021, 03:18 AM
what happens if you scan to SMB or a flash drive?
maybe its not the machine at all but something to do with the email server?

copyman
07-14-2021, 12:39 PM
What does quality look like if you scan off the glass not using the ADF?

Did you remove the glass and clean the optics & lens?

Walterj
07-15-2021, 07:53 AM
Hey,

Anyone else seen this issue on a bizhub 8e series (or any other for that matter)? We have a bizhub 458e under our service that spontaneously began sending all scan-to-email at a very low resolution, looks like about 200dpi. Regardless of what scan setting are used: PDF, Compact PDF, 600dpi, 400 dpi, does not matter what settings every scan has a very small file size and very low resolution image. Never seen anything like it. Firmware has been updated and reflashed, there are no user settings for this that I can find, also nothing in the DIPSW. Without a unit to point a finger at, can't figure out how this is possible!

Thanks,
Stephen

here is a little sample (need to zoom a bit to see the issues on your screen)

Good day
Dear, I recommend you perform maintenance on the scanning section, perform a test by scanning by SMB.
Then rewrite the FW to the G00-X8 version.
Modify Sw103 to 04
change it to the following: [Administrator Settings]> [System Settings]> [PDF Settings]> [Compact PDF Settings]> [Prioritize Quality]

Gift
07-15-2021, 11:00 AM
That's some heavy compression.

what happens if you scan to SMB or a flash drive?
maybe its not the machine at all but something to do with the email server?

Good point to check if there is some "post processing" performed by some fancy software.

Is it only happening in B/W scan modes?

Flashgordon04
07-15-2021, 06:55 PM
Good day
Dear, I recommend you perform maintenance on the scanning section, perform a test by scanning by SMB.
Modify Sw103 to 04
change it to the following: [Administrator Settings]> [System Settings]> [PDF Settings]> [Compact PDF Settings]> [Prioritize Quality]

What will SW103 do to the copier?
I am always hesitant when I am told to change the SW when I cant see any documentation on it.

Synthohol
07-15-2021, 08:12 PM
What will SW103 do to the copier?
I am always hesitant when I am told to change the SW when I cant see any documentation on it.

Exactly.
I would hesitate to take that advice.

tsbservice
07-15-2021, 08:29 PM
Not exactly unheard.

Solution
CAUSE: Insufficient scan transmission when scanning Compact PDF, Compact XPS, PPTX, DOCX and XLSX.

SOLUTION: To increase the scan transmission time, please make the following setting changes.

[CAUTION]
1. To set the processing method to use the CPU in the same way as without the expansion memory installed when generating a Compact PDF. (bit 2)

Software SW No.103 0x00: This setting is not applied. (default)
Software SW No.103 0x04: This setting is effective.

3. When set the Software SW No. 103 to 0x04, the scan transmission time of the following file types is increased.:

Compact PDF
Compact XPS
PPTX
DOCX
XLSX

IMPORTANT: The effect of "Software SW No. 103 0x04" will be lost when the following is set to [Prioritize Speed].

Please change it to the following:
[Administrator Settings]> [System Settings]> [PDF Settings]> [Compact PDF Settings]>[Prioritize Quality]

Bizhub C227 "Insufficient Memory" . Error. (https://www.copytechnet.com/forums/konica-minolta/128786-bizhub-c227-insufficient-memory-error-2.html)

Synthohol
07-15-2021, 10:15 PM
still waiting on the results of scan to smb or flash drive from the OP.
thats why i would hesitate before changing bit switches.

stepwik
07-15-2021, 11:16 PM
Good day
Modify Sw103 to 04

SW103 to 04 changes the way compact pdf scans are handled above 400 dpi according to KM bulletins KBA00043153 and KBA00044453, since my issues occur also on regular PDF scans, changing DIPSW 103 is not indicated (but good to know about for future, thanks!)
Further information - the issue can be reproduced on other machines, including an 8 series machine, and I unintentionally mischaracterized the issue by accidentally using the wrong scan - So there are two separate issues now, and both are actually user settings related, I think nothing wrong with the machine. Apologies for going the wrong direction on this. And thanks all for asking good questions that helped me get going in the right direction.

1) The original issue which I presented which is that many different KM machines appear to apply a very heavy compression to all scans, as shown in the first attachment. This makes all scans look like highly compressed jpeg photos when viewed up close, even on 600x600 setting. This is solved for color/auto color images (not the one I posted) by setting Utility > User Settings > Scan/Fax Settings > JPEG Compression Level > High Quality (images are larger but quality much improved) (Black compression level can also be set to higher quality/larger files by choosing [MH]

2) a side issue where text is not recognized as text because it is too light, where we are having some improvement by: - setting scan settings as "printed photo" - setting background removal level to "dark" (as you know two issues at the same time can make things worse...)

We will test above settings on the customer machine that originally gave the issues and report back.

Massimiliano
01-17-2024, 06:09 PM
Not exactly unheard.

Bizhub C227 "Insufficient Memory" . Error. (https://www.copytechnet.com/forums/konica-minolta/128786-bizhub-c227-insufficient-memory-error-2.html)

Hi, how do I change the Software SW No.103 0x04 parameters when I am in service mode system 2 software switch seeing?
I can't find where to insert the "0x04" parameters
A thousand thanks!

allan
01-17-2024, 06:54 PM
Hi, how do I change the Software SW No.103 0x04 parameters when I am in service mode system 2 software switch seeing?
I can't find where to insert the "0x04" parameters
A thousand thanks!

Hi start a new thread for this please.

0x04 would be a hex value or decimal 04 or binary 0100. Make sure to touch the "FIX" button before exiting service mode.

Massimiliano
01-18-2024, 07:54 AM
Hi start a new thread for this please.

0x04 would be a hex value or decimal 04 or binary 0100. Make sure to touch the "FIX" button before exiting service mode.

Hi Allan!
Thank you very much for the explanation... I solved it with SW 103.

Do I still have to open a new thread?

Good day

Custom Search