PDA

View Full Version : C-364 series, rotating faxes??

Custom Search

Oystercopy
07-17-2021, 04:36 PM
Hey Guys.. I've got several of these in the field (all 4 series) that are ROTATING the fax images, that the customer sends to their clients. Pages are always sent regular, portrait Letter, from the ADF tray. It doesn't happen every single fax that they send, but it rotates the image 90 degrees and shrinks it, making it much harder to read. I understand there may have been a bulletin covering this, but I could not find it on my own.
Any help appreciated!
OC

copier addict
07-17-2021, 05:24 PM
Hey Guys.. I've got several of these in the field (all 4 series) that are ROTATING the fax images, that the customer sends to their clients. Pages are always sent regular, portrait Letter, from the ADF tray. It doesn't happen every single fax that they send, but it rotates the image 90 degrees and shrinks it, making it much harder to read. I understand there may have been a bulletin covering this, but I could not find it on my own.
Any help appreciated!
OC

I've seen this before and it is usually fixed by setting the "original direction" to portrait and save it in user settings.

rrrohan
07-18-2021, 03:50 PM
i had this is a 8 series.

i just reset fax in service mode and it solved issue

blackcat4866
07-18-2021, 04:01 PM
Make sure that the document feeder original tray is not detecting Letter LEF originals as Ledger SEF originals. Malfunctions of the original length sensor will cause the machine to reduce the images 64% and rotate them 90 degrees.

A common customer behavior that will cause this, is if the customer places one stack of Letter originals in the tray, and a second stack of originals to be scanned later on the original tray next to it, looking exactly like Ledger sized originals.

I've seen this on a wide variety of machines. Some will display the original size detected in the original tray. Use this information to determine if the original size is detected correctly. =^..^=

rrrohan
07-18-2021, 04:18 PM
in my experience fax initialization fixed it. OP should try this as even if its not the fix its a 2 minute job to reconfigure any lost fax settings. but i do recall years ago adding wights to the length sensors on adf. i guess easy way to see if adf is issue would be to use the glass

tsbservice
07-19-2021, 07:00 AM
OC, this is known issue.
Replace the sizing sensors:

For the DF701:
PS9 (A108M50000 Photoreflector)
PS8 (A108M50100 Photointerrupter)
VR1 ( A143PP6X00 PW Board Assy)

For the DF624
PS7 (A108M50000 Photoreflector)
PS6 (A108M50100 Photointerrupter)
VR1 (A143PP6X00 PW Board Assy)

You can aslo check this and turn it off just in case.
Service Mode >Fax Settings >System Setting >Communication Settings
Turn off Auto Rotation for Send (LT) and Send (A4). These are set to "On" by default.

Good luck

Oystercopy
07-19-2021, 05:27 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys! All good suggestions, but especially funny is Black Cat's idea that they may be putting stacks next to each other... what a hoot! I wouldn't put it past these customers to do something like that, but I don't think that's happening here!

I'm going to try reinitializing the fax settings, that seems to be the easiest thing to do first. I've never had to replace defective sensors, but hoping the reinitialization clears it up.

THANKS AGAIN GUYS!
OC

MVPunisher
07-20-2021, 06:55 PM
I have fixed this simply by cleaning the read sensor on the feeder. The one underneath that also causes 6605 jams when dirty. Sometimes I think it is just so dusty that it doesnt unflag fast enough making the paper length longer. Forcing the machine to rotate it to fit.

Just my theory but I have had good luck fixing this more than once.

tsbservice
07-20-2021, 07:15 PM
I have fixed this simply by cleaning the read sensor on the feeder. The one underneath that also causes 6605 jams when dirty. Sometimes I think it is just so dusty that it doesnt unflag fast enough making the paper length longer. Forcing the machine to rotate it to fit.

Just my theory but I have had good luck fixing this more than once.
Sorry to disagree but I don't think read sensor has something to do with detecting the width of the original or detecting the length of the original(in normal mode).
It is used only in in the mixed original/AMS mode to detect the length of the original. Besides read sensor has no flag.

B0265
07-20-2021, 07:33 PM
Sorry to disagree but I don't think read sensor has something to do with detecting the width of the original or detecting the length of the original(in normal mode).
It is used only in in the mixed original/AMS mode to detect the length of the original. Besides read sensor has no flag.
The information we received from KM a few years ago was that when sending fax the df always works in mixed size mode.

MVPunisher
07-20-2021, 07:52 PM
I understand the disagree, as that sesnor usually causes jams. I am just telling you I have fixed it by cleaning it... Ive watched the machine do it 5 times in a row then clean it and send 10 more faxes in a row good after. Like clearly fixed it.

The key is to cancel the fax as soon as you send it. Then it will print you a report showing how it sent. The report will show when its rotated. I am sure you all know that just an easier way to not have to check the other end and not have to even wait for a fax to go.

It's worth trying regardless what the theory of that sensor says.

tsbservice
07-20-2021, 07:53 PM
The information we received from KM a few years ago was that when sending fax the df always works in mixed size mode.
If so can be mixed original turned off via application button and saved in user settings as default Fax mode?

MVPunisher
07-20-2021, 08:02 PM
I did not know that either, but it would support the case for why cleaning it has fixed it. When I say unflagged i mean from hi to lo etc. Not physical flag. Its not always the lens too. I think the black piece the lens stares it is just as guilty.

My theory is the extra milisecond that lens sees dust it may not "unflag" thinking the paper is a hair longer then forcing rotation to fit. Honestly though at the end of the day as long as it fixed it I was happy haha.

Thanks for the reset file earlier.

tsbservice
07-20-2021, 08:18 PM
I did not know that either, but it would support the case for why cleaning it has fixed it. When I say unflagged i mean from hi to lo etc. Not physical flag. Its not always the lens too. I think the black piece the lens stares it is just as guilty.

My theory is the extra milisecond that lens sees dust it may not "unflag" thinking the paper is a hair longer then forcing rotation to fit. Honestly though at the end of the day as long as it fixed it I was happy haha.

Thanks for the reset file earlier.

I have nothing to lose discussing an issue with intelligent and experienced techs either. Clearly you have both so I don't mind if I'm wrong on this one. The real solutions are important and seeing you have one... man you deserved that file big time!

srvctec
07-20-2021, 08:24 PM
Maybe this will help from the C364 service manual. This actually is a bit confusing to me but that's not unusual for a KM Service manual. :rolleyes:

https://i.imgur.com/vB99lrV.jpg

tsbservice
07-20-2021, 08:57 PM
Maybe this will help from the C364 service manual. This actually is a bit confusing to me but that's not unusual for a KM Service manual. :rolleyes:

https://i.imgur.com/vB99lrV.jpg

Yes Sir another good point.
It's now clear to me that in Fax sending trail edge isn't detected by DF paper length sensors.
Obviously I need urgent leave now! :D

blackcat4866
07-20-2021, 10:23 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys! All good suggestions, but especially funny is Black Cat's idea that they may be putting stacks next to each other... what a hoot! I wouldn't put it past these customers to do something like that, but I don't think that's happening here! ...

On the next visit this same customer had taped a small note to the tray saying "Do not place originals here!". They taped the note directly on top of the length sensor. :rolleyes:

Custom Search