PDA

View Full Version : BH-C-280, K only?

Custom Search

Hansoon
08-05-2021, 09:31 AM
Customer upgraded his machines but want to keep one of his old BH-C-280 for B&W mono copying and printing only.
I know that one can adapt the operation panel display for copying in K only and also there are K only drivers but he wants to be sure that nobody ever can make color copies and prints with this machine.

Question: Is it possible to limit this C-280 to B&W only? Any mysterious soft switches making this possible unknown to me?

Hans

tech51
08-05-2021, 05:26 PM
If it was me I would put a password on it and default that to greyscale only print and copy. Job done…

tsbservice
08-05-2021, 06:18 PM
Still machine will eat color toners and drums slowly. Calibrations are unavoidable.
Other than that you can go password/user authentication way or just like you said plus I would prohibit USB print.

tulintron
08-05-2021, 06:20 PM
Customer upgraded his machines but want to keep one of his old BH-C-280 for B&W mono copying and printing only.
I know that one can adapt the operation panel display for copying in K only and also there are K only drivers but he wants to be sure that nobody ever can make color copies and prints with this machine.

Question: Is it possible to limit this C-280 to B&W only? Any mysterious soft switches making this possible unknown to me?

HansYou can put the printer as preferred black and hide the option in DIPSW.

jotunn
08-05-2021, 09:14 PM
Replace CMY toners with K (change caps), after ~200 A3 prints, you've got B/W machine ;)

tsbservice
08-05-2021, 10:15 PM
Replace CMY toners with K (change caps), after ~200 A3 prints, you've got B/W machine ;)

Did you tried this personally?

Hansoon
08-06-2021, 08:09 AM

Had to laugh first, cause sounds funny, but are you serious.........?

Cannot imagine that the calibration pattern being only in in K on the TB will be accepted by the logic of the machine. Furthermore operating costs are not only coming from toner use but also the drum and developer being used.

Hans

Phil B.
08-06-2021, 08:23 AM
Had to laugh first, cause sounds funny, but are you serious.........?

Cannot imagine that the calibration pattern being only in in K on the TB will be accepted by the logic of the machine. Furthermore operating costs are not only coming from toner use but also the drum and developer being used.

HansPaper and electricity.

Wear n tear.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

jotunn
08-06-2021, 09:53 AM
That was just for fun and confuse ;)

No, it will not work (at least in this machine | there are other ways for this machine), but not for the reason you think of:

> only in in K on the TB will be accepted by the logic of the machine

IDC sensors are color blind, they just measure density of the pattern, and doesn't matter what colour the pattern was printed.
So the important thing is location of the pattern (there must be toner patch in correct location on TB) and its density.
You can change the order of color developing units to prank somebody, but remember to block toner pipe (to not contaminate with other color) and make only few copies.

All K toner will not work for this machine, because of difference in develping units build, and conposition of the toners.
Black toner has additional developer mixed, for developing unit life extension, so there is a difference in developing unit (and waste toner box) for developer recycling.

Color developing units was designed for much shorter life, so they doesn't need recycling pipe and additional developer mixed with toner.

Without developing unit modification, the additional developer would kill them in short period of time.

__

The easiest (and not funny at all) way is:

- set [Image Stabilization Priority] -> [Black]
- set DipSW to hide Color option for copy
- use B/W driver from Bizhub 224 if you don't need user authentication
or
- use normal driver, set B/W for default
- block color prints for authenticated users

Hansoon
08-06-2021, 05:59 PM

No, it will not work (at least in this machine | there are other ways for this machine), but not for the reason you think of:

IDC sensors are color blind, they just measure density of the pattern, and doesn't matter what colour the pattern was printed.

So the "density" of a K patch will be the same as for a Y patch???

So the important thing is location of the pattern (there must be toner patch in correct location on TB) and its density.
You can change the order of color developing units to prank somebody, but remember to block toner pipe (to not contaminate with other color) and make only few copies.

This was not my intention ofcourse. I do this occasionally for testing purposes

All K toner will not work for this machine, because of difference in develping units build, and conposition of the toners.
Black toner has additional developer mixed, for developing unit life extension, so there is a difference in developing unit (and waste toner box) for developer recycling.

Yep, I got that

Color developing units was designed for much shorter life, so they doesn't need recycling pipe and additional developer mixed with toner.

Without developing unit modification, the additional developer would kill them in short period of time.

__

- set ->

[I]Where to find which DipSw. And yes I'm stupid and on top of that lazy too..... :p

The driver is the easiest solution and has been done here for years.

or

[B]On all our machines we install at least two drivers. One for color, one for mono and often too for duplex and letterhead also

- block color prints for authenticated users

I HATE the configuration for that authentication stuff. Did I tell, that I'm not only stupid but lazy too??

Thanks for your input.

Hans

tulintron
08-06-2021, 06:03 PM

__

- set [Image Stabilization Priority] -> [Black]
or
- block color prints for authenticated usersyou were expert in your explanation

jotunn
08-06-2021, 09:20 PM
> So the "density" of a K patch will be the same as for a Y patch???

Yes.

> Where to find which DipSw. And yes I'm stupid and on top of that lazy too..... :p

Laziness has made us human ;)

DipSW 71 hex 02 - should hide color selection buttons from user screen

You can also set DipSW 50 hex 01 - ACS mode control set to black prints (1st transfer roller CMY retracted)

B0265
08-06-2021, 10:54 PM
> So the "density" of a K patch will be the same as for a Y patch???

Yes.

Have you verified this yourself?
I did not expect the reflected light from a 100% K patch be the same as from a 100% Y patch.

jotunn
08-07-2021, 01:07 AM
Density measured by IDC sensors is not the lite reflected from the patch, but light transmitted through the patch and reflected from the background (transfer belt).
Amount of light reflected from clean surface of transfer belt (even if its surfrace is not really clean due to wear, toner contamination etc.) sets the current "background level" and density 0%
The machine produces set of 8 patches per colour, read the IDC sensor output voltage for each patch, then approximates linear function of gradation.

The patch which transmits the least amount of light (within the set range of boundary values) _IS_ the one with highest density (but it doesn't mean you can get 100% K)

For sure, the black toner absorbs more light from IDC sensor than other toners, but that's enough for approximation and calculations needed to output acceptable prints.

Hansoon
08-07-2021, 08:47 AM
Density measured by IDC sensors is not the lite reflected from the patch, but light transmitted through the patch and reflected from the background (transfer belt).
Amount of light reflected from clean surface of transfer belt (even if its surfrace is not really clean due to wear, toner contamination etc.) sets the current "background level" and density 0%
The machine produces set of 8 patches per colour, read the IDC sensor output voltage for each patch, then approximates linear function of gradation.

The patch which transmits the least amount of light (within the set range of boundary values) _IS_ the one with highest density (but it doesn't mean you can get 100% K)

For sure, the black toner absorbs more light from IDC sensor than other toners, but that's enough for approximation and calculations needed to output acceptable prints.

This is for an Indy not being able to go to KM-class, good solid information, thanks!

Hans

Custom Search