PDA

View Full Version : konica minolta 658e bad copy

Custom Search

brent
08-17-2021, 09:13 PM
ok this is going to be interesting.. customer calls and said the scanner was sideways in copier.. I said no way.. and sure enough it was.. the screw came out of the right hand side platten making the scanner totally crooked in the machin. no damage and I couldnt believe it myself. never seen that happen before. well that was 4 weeks ago. today making bad copies. so I went back and opened it up and seen that the front side scanner cable never was put back on the white pulley. so Itook care of that. so that leads me to my question.. prints from a computer are perfect.. the copies when using a document feeder are also perfect. but the copies when using the original glass are really bad. I will include pics the scanner goes left to right just fine.. no jumping no noice.. and the scanner unit is completely square in the housing.. unlike earlier when the cable was off. is there a function I can do to recalibrate this ? I cant figure out what would be making these horrible lines on the top of the copy any thoughts please? also its not the drum. something in the optics I am assuming and I hope I gave enough info to diagnose;

thanks much. brent

tsbservice
08-17-2021, 09:41 PM
Silly question Brent but did you make glass copy after initial repair.

allan
08-17-2021, 09:43 PM
Also never seen that before. Would like to know how it got into that state. If i got to the machine in its current state not knowing that the scanner cable came undone and all looks to be mechanically OK i would try to adjust the CCD alignment. I that condition that would be a real bad idea.

Would think that there is still an alignment issue with the first and second scanner. It could be nice and square looking from the top, but could perhaps be higher or lower in relation to the platen glass.
Are all the scanner shoes still there?

brent
08-17-2021, 10:29 PM
Silly question Brent but did you make glass copy after initial repair.
yes it was a bad copy but I was just glad to get it to a copying state

brent

brent
08-17-2021, 10:33 PM
Also never seen that before. Would like to know how it got into that state. If i got to the machine in its current state not knowing that the scanner cable came undone and all looks to be mechanically OK i would try to adjust the CCD alignment. I that condition that would be a real bad idea.

Would think that there is still an alignment issue with the first and second scanner. It could be nice and square looking from the top, but could perhaps be higher or lower in relation to the platen glass.
Are all the scanner shoes still there?

allan. it was a crazy service call.. in my 27 years of service I have never seen a screw back out and the scaner rail let the spool free spool in lack of a better word. sideways scanner slammed. I am lucky it didnt' break the end of the scanner assy itself. ccd alilgnment? I will certainly check into that.. like I said it is only when making a glass copy.. printing ok i get that.. but the reason that doc feeder makes a good copy is that the scanner is in home position is all I can think of..
also yes it looks certainly square to me.. but anything could be off just a litt.e the cable actually ran on the edge of the white plastic guide I cant believe it even worked to be honest lol
brent

blackcat4866
08-17-2021, 10:50 PM
Just speculating: Maybe it was built and calibrated with the cable out of the pulley, so when you re-positioned the cable, now it's askew.

I wish I could say I'd never seen a flailing scanner, but that would be a lie. On the Ricoh Aficio AF-550/650/750 series MFPs it was unfortunately common for the M3 screw through the scanner drum to shear off clean. Then only the front or rear of the scanner was driven, and the other end would just drag along ... flailing around. Broken lamps, bent reflectors, and tangled cables were common. I used to carry M3 x 12mm grade 8 hex bolts to replace the standard screws. I'm sure I still have a few in my case.
=^..^=

BillyCarpenter
08-17-2021, 11:10 PM
Just speculating: Maybe it was built and calibrated with the cable out of the pulley, so when you re-positioned the cable, now it's askew.

I wish I could say I'd never seen a flailing scanner, but that would be a lie. On the Ricoh Aficio AF-550/650/750 series MFPs it was unfortunately common for the M3 screw through the scanner drum to shear off clean. Then only the front or rear of the scanner was driven, and the other end would just drag along ... flailing around. Broken lamps, bent reflectors, and tangled cables were common. I used to carry M3 x 12mm grade 8 hex bolts to replace the standard screws. I'm sure I still have a few in my case.
=^..^=

Now that's thinking outside the box and just crazy enough that it may work. :p

brent
08-17-2021, 11:17 PM

=^..^=

yes maybe it was. I am not sure. but I think I may have a situation on my hand. you described perfectly what happened to the scanner. pulled it right along sideways. no other machine on earth 658e has done this? lol my luck

rrrohan
08-18-2021, 01:21 AM
Maybe the scanner bed not flat. Is problem worse on A3

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

brent
08-18-2021, 07:30 PM
Maybe the scanner bed not flat. Is problem worse on A3

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
I will take some 11 by 17 paper and check on it.. I am hoping the scanner is just jumping a little bit

brent

brent
08-19-2021, 05:06 PM
11 by 17 I have a copy. still horrible copy.. I took particular attention to the scanner traveling. seemed smooth. I did apply a thin layer of light grease on the rails as well.. no jerking I just am beside myself.. I think the scanner must be crooked or something just very minute to make it do this copy.. any other ideas?
thank you so much

brent49969

byronf
08-19-2021, 06:56 PM
Hi,
This is caused by the 3rd mirror misalign.

It's a time consuming task to adjust and waste of paper while testing as this distorted image moves towards the ADF and back to platern glass while adjusting the mirror.

I have had many of these, changing the complete scanner unit solves the issue. Scanner unit from 4 / 4e series fits like a glove on 8 series. Repair time is about 20 minutes.

byronf
08-19-2021, 06:57 PM
Hi,
This is caused by the 3rd mirror misaligned.

It's a time consuming task to adjust and waste of paper while testing as this distorted image moves towards the ADF and back to platern glass while adjusting the mirror.

I have had many of these, changing the complete scanner unit solves the issue. Scanner unit from 4 / 4e series fits like a glove on 8 series. Repair time is about 20 minutes.

brent
08-19-2021, 08:31 PM
Hi,
This is caused by the 3rd mirror misaligned.

wow ok are you saying a 364e scanner assembly will fit? I will verify part numbers too. also forgive me but the scanner carries the first mirror correct? so the second sets of mirrors stay in machine just replace the scanner assy? I really do appreciate your information on this
thanks a mill

brent

brent
08-20-2021, 05:40 PM
Hi,
This is caused by the 3rd mirror misalign.

if you get a chance would you look at my last comment to you? are you replacing the scanner ccd onlly or the mirror assy as well? I come up with a different part number from the 658e series to the 364e series.. is it the same? I will s wap this out but trying to figure out what parts.. only the ccd or both.. thanks again so much

brent

byronf
08-20-2021, 06:06 PM
if you get a chance would you look at my last comment to you? are you replacing the scanner ccd onlly or the mirror assy as well? I come up with a different part number from the 658e series to the 364e series.. is it the same? I will s wap this out but trying to figure out what parts.. only the ccd or both.. thanks again so much

brent

Change the Entire scanner unit 4 /4E series works on the 8 series

brent
08-20-2021, 07:02 PM
ok I see. the w hole scanner lol if a konica minolta 364e unit works then I will try it.. I bet it goes faster when you do it more then once.. it looks like a ton of stuff to remove lol thank you

brent

brent
08-20-2021, 09:06 PM
Change the Entire scanner unit 4 /4E series works on the 8 series

ok we had a brand new konica minolta 364e that had lower end damage.. so I was able to get the scanner off it
I will take it and replace it next week with the damaged 368e looks like it will be a direct fit. even though some of
the wires are a different color but youve said you have done this.. will I need to do any functions when its all replaced?
or just replace and start copying?

thanks again byronf

blackcat4866
08-20-2021, 11:50 PM
I haven't actually done this swap, but I would suspect that the scanner motor will be regulated by the engine, scanning at whatever speed the engine calls for. Pulse motors are very flexible that way. =^..^=

brent
08-21-2021, 12:18 AM
I haven't actually done this swap, but I would suspect that the scanner motor will be regulated by the engine, scanning at whatever speed the engine calls for. Pulse motors are very flexible that way. =^..^=
Well black cat I took the whole scanner bed off today. In 26 years of being a tech this was new to me. But I guess obviously back in the old days this was not an option but scanners have been like this for about probably what 10 to 15 years? Anyway I’m looking forward to getting this fixed next week when I get back up there lol

blackcat4866
08-21-2021, 12:23 AM
Many of the small Sharps required the whole DF removed, then scanner removed, then flipped over and a dozen or so screws removed to split the scanner body, then ... ta-daa! Clean the scanner optics!

It didn't happen very often. I may have been the only tech at that company to clean mirrors. =^..^=

tsbservice
08-21-2021, 11:16 PM
Many of the small Sharps required the whole DF removed, then scanner removed, then flipped over and a dozen or so screws removed to split the scanner body, then ... ta-daa! Clean the scanner optics!

It didn't happen very often. I may have been the only tech at that company to clean mirrors. =^..^=

Analog days that would be something like 2 screws and voila :)
They seem to hold better now but occasionally A4 scanner bed must be open not ideal job.

Phil B.
08-22-2021, 03:37 AM
Analog days that would be something like 2 screws and voila :)
They seem to hold better now but occasionally A4 scanner bed must be open not ideal job.IDEAL? I'd rather stroll thru hell with petrol shorts on, on some brands/models.
[emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Zesti
08-24-2021, 08:31 AM
The scanner is pushed down from front left corner... have seen this problem with quite a few times on older Di series and even BH501 series and even C450... just lift from front left corner andf I hoper it will be good...

brent
08-26-2021, 02:50 PM
ok well bad news. I swapped the scanner out from a konica minolta bizhub 364e and it went into a c 6756 code.. so now its back at the office for me to troubleshoot when I get time.. which may be next week with all the work going on.. any ideas on what went wrong? I suspect the main board on the scanner wasnt compatible. easy swap now that it is all moved over. just looking for thoughts. thanks

brent

tsbservice
08-26-2021, 03:08 PM
ok well bad news. I swapped the scanner out from a konica minolta bizhub 364e and it went into a c 6756 code.. so now its back at the office for me to troubleshoot when I get time.. which may be next week with all the work going on.. any ideas on what went wrong? I suspect the main board on the scanner wasnt compatible. easy swap now that it is all moved over. just looking for thoughts. thanks

brent

For 6756 code try to load latest FW.

blackcat4866
08-26-2021, 06:11 PM
For 6756 code try to load latest FW.

+1

brent
09-01-2021, 06:57 PM
well today I installed the latest version of firmare it did not fix it.. I am starting to think the new scanner from a 364e was not compatible? I took the unit back apart thinking I may have forgotten a wire or something. any more ideas? I may put the old one back on just to feed my curiosity.. or do I need to swap a board out and leave the scanner with current optics? thanks for all the advice

brent

Custom Search