PDA

View Full Version : Better than I had hoped.

Custom Search

blackcat4866
08-17-2021, 11:38 PM
~24 months ago I was called out on a bizhub C284e that was backgrounding. It took me about 10 minutes to figure out that the generic toner was the cause.

I'm so used to endusers ignoring my advice, I was shocked when they actually did what I suggested. I said: "If you want to save some money and you're patient, buy (4) new genuine toner cartridges and install them. Gradually the generic toner will be depleted and replaced with the good stuff. The image quality will come back."

And it did. What I didn't take into account was the incredibly low volume this customer runs. If all four toners were changed at the same time 24 months ago, they are currently C:98%, M:97%, Y:94%, K:85%. Only the cyan still had a few of the random sprinkles. It only proves my theory that the developer is undamaged by the generic toner, and is recoverable. =^..^=

BillyCarpenter
08-18-2021, 12:31 AM
I know that's true on the older models back in the day when we could run skyshots to clean it out and replace with good toner. I wonder if this is true for all makes and models for today's copiers?

rrrohan
08-18-2021, 01:26 AM
Doesn't take long to deplete the Dev. Just vac out the hopper and run about 30 A3 gradations until it asks you to replace toner I managed to save a Dev unit when customer put a non genuine yellow toner is blacks spot on a C220 years ago with this method

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

slimslob
08-18-2021, 01:30 AM
Years ago I got a call on a HP Laserjet IIIp that had backgrounding. When I pulled the cartridge out it was labeled as a refilled cartridge. They still had the old cartridge so I shook it a few times and put it back in. Prefect quality.

copyman
08-18-2021, 02:03 AM
Doesn't take long to deplete the Dev. Just vac out the hopper and run about 30 A3 gradations until it asks you to replace toner I managed to save a Dev unit when customer put a non genuine yellow toner is blacks spot on a C220 years ago with this method

I haven't bought a "4 series" color Dev unit in years. I've also been able to bring them back to life. The few times had buy Dev unit I used the less expensive black and converted by running 40-60 halftones of color I wanted black to change to.

rrrohan
08-18-2021, 02:07 AM
Didn't know U could do that. Handy to know if i don't have stock, cheers

tsbservice
08-18-2021, 08:19 PM
~24 months ago I was called out on a bizhub C284e that was backgrounding. It took me about 10 minutes to figure out that the generic toner was the cause.

I'm so used to endusers ignoring my advice, I was shocked when they actually did what I suggested. I said: "If you want to save some money and you're patient, buy (4) new genuine toner cartridges and install them. Gradually the generic toner will be depleted and replaced with the good stuff. The image quality will come back."

And it did. What I didn't take into account was the incredibly low volume this customer runs. If all four toners were changed at the same time 24 months ago, they are currently C:98%, M:97%, Y:94%, K:85%. Only the cyan still had a few of the random sprinkles. It only proves my theory that the developer is undamaged by the generic toner, and is recoverable. =^..^=

Those machines are super good in my experience. They are well engineered and well build solid as a rock especially when customers push some volumes on them not low counts. Extremely tech friendly I have a few CC224e past 1.5 million counters almost nothing changed but the consumables. One of my all time favourites together with old crusty analog Toshiba 13xx series.

blackcat4866
08-18-2021, 10:07 PM
The first time I tried this it was on a VoyagerE (CS-C4035E). My enduser had run out of cyan toner, but did have a magenta on-hand. The prints started to turn sorta purple, with two sources of magenta and no source of cyan.

I made up a toner depletion cyan test chart which is ~90% coverage, and a nice 25mm wide void, to avoid fuser wraps. It started out full magenta, and turned full cyan.

The type and amount of developer particles is the same regardless of the color. Only the toner color is different. If you are switching colors with new developer, the key is to stir the developer immediately after installation to store a toner density value, then run depletion charts to use the toner in the developer mix, and replace it with toner from the toner cartridge. =^..^=

Hansoon
08-19-2021, 06:38 AM
The first time I tried this it was on a VoyagerE (CS-C4035E). My enduser had run out of cyan toner, but did have a magenta on-hand. The prints started to turn sorta purple, with two sources of magenta and no source of cyan.

I made up a toner depletion cyan test chart which is ~90% coverage, and a nice 25mm wide void, to avoid fuser wraps. It started out full magenta, and turned full cyan.

The type and amount of developer particles is the same regardless of the color. Only the toner color is different. If you are switching colors with new developer, the key is to stir the developer immediately after installation to store a toner density value, then run depletion charts to use the toner in the developer mix, and replace it with toner from the toner cartridge. =^..^=

Very good suggestion, clever!
Thanks

Hans

rrrohan
08-19-2021, 11:07 AM
if devs can be converted why do they bother prefilling them with a toner. why not just sell the dev filled with only dev and let the toner hopper fill it as required with your choice of toner colour dependant of which slot u install it in

3ktlc
08-19-2021, 02:40 PM
if devs can be converted why do they bother prefilling them with a toner. why not just sell the dev filled with only dev and let the toner hopper fill it as required with your choice of toner colour dependant of which slot u install it in
Money.

tsbservice
08-19-2021, 02:46 PM
Money.
True that :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETxmCCsMoD0

blackcat4866
08-19-2021, 04:23 PM

Because they can charge more for them, and make you stock (4) different types. And because you cannot do the inital developer stir with toner absent. =^..^=

femaster
08-20-2021, 02:47 AM

The copier needs a value to base it's toner to developer mixture calculations off of. In an ideal world this value should always be the same, but unfortunately that is not the case. Developer particles and density sensors will aways have some slight variances so the value from each dev unit will never be the same.

Because of this, the dev units come filled with what is supposed to be the exact ratio of toner to developer that the copier requires. When the dev unit is replaced the copier stirs the developer mix, and then stores the value from the sensor. It uses this value as the baseline of the correct mixture ratio so that it can maintain the correct ratio as toner is used up during operation.

Zesti
08-20-2021, 02:11 PM

My expreiment was unique.....
Years ago had those BH600's, the developer was no where to find and I had in my stock some old color developer for I beleive CF9000 or CF910. I put the color developer in BH600 and did the same thing......Voila..... they surely did give excellent result once color toner was depleted.... I remember excellent 1 color prints on BH600...

blackcat4866
08-21-2021, 12:45 AM
IIRC, the particle size was crucial. When I had to substitute developer I would choose a model that was from the same time period (same particle size), then measure up the same gram weight. The example I remember that was very successful was Sharp Cougar (AR-M507) developer in a Sharp Dragon (AR-M700N). It actually made better copies than the right stuff.

Initially I had filled some toner cartridges with the Cougar toner. Somehow the supply department got left out of the information loop and shipped them Dragon toner, which worked fine too. =^..^=

Custom Search