PDA

View Full Version : toners not available from konica minolta what is everyone doing?

Custom Search

brent
11-03-2021, 06:05 PM
If this should be a topic on another forum would the admin please let me know? makes me nervous that toner is in short supply I have found other sources for a few toners. nothing as of yet for the konica minolta tn 330 black and white machine.. what is everyone doing?

sorry again if this is the wrong forum for this question

brent

emujo2
11-03-2021, 10:05 PM
It's a KM issue so you're in the right place.. Before I answer, I would like to know if the dealers have it as bad..There are rumours out there abounding. E

Toxic
11-03-2021, 10:24 PM
We recently got new price list from KM and notice all consumables goes up with price for 5% and that is not so bad if we compare with other goods or services (for example fuel price goes up in my country last few months about 30%).
Official explanation for shortage is KM toner plant burned out.
But i am little bit skeptical about that, i think it is related with global price growth for all goods, services... and there is something more behind all this situations in the world and we average people can not perceive what is really happening behind the scene.
Some of my friends who works in some other business told me how they intentionally remove some goods from sale (artificial shortage) , then increase price and put goods back in to sale and done that even several times.

SalesServiceGuy
11-03-2021, 10:52 PM
We recently got new price list from KM and notice all consumables goes up with price for 5% and that is not so bad if we compare with other goods or services (for example fuel price goes up in my country last few months about 30%).
Official explanation for shortage is KM toner plant burned out.
But i am little bit skeptical about that, i think it is related with global price growth for all goods, services... and there is something more behind all this situations in the world and we average people can not perceive what is really happening behind the scene.
Some of my friends who works in some other business told me how they intentionally remove some goods from sale (artificial shortage) , then increase price and put goods back in to sale and done that even several times.

... paranoia will destroy ya!

All OEMs recently increased hardware prices on average 5%. Not all OEMs (like Toshiba) increased toner or parts prices. Toshiba manufacturers toner for the Americas in North Dakota.

I have seen several very recent YouTube videos where print shop owners have great angst about the supply of Konica Minolta toner for production copiers. They are concerned that lack of toner will force them to halt delivering orders which is their life blood and key revenue stream. Many had built up a supply in house but all say that supply will run dry within a month.

Konica Minolta has five global toner manufacturing facilities. The one that was destroyed in Japan by a fire specialized in production print toner.

It remains difficult to find air cargo space and expensive to fly toner around the world.

adecanmin
11-03-2021, 11:02 PM
We may have to start using aftermarket supplies. Not something I would want to do but may not have a choice.

BillyCarpenter
11-03-2021, 11:16 PM
This is part of a much larger conversation that I won't go into. Hopefully, things will get back to normal soon because it has me worried.

femaster
11-04-2021, 01:45 AM
So far my office has been fine. Haven't had any issues with that particular toner (TN330) as we have a some-what large supply on hand, and don't have too many of that model out in the field yet. We tend to keep a fairly hefty supply of toner on hand, so we have only been slightly squeezed a few times, but toners that we have ordered keep trickling in. So far we haven't run completely out of anything, and have yet to have any customer down time, thankfully.

I'd say our biggest problem we have is the machines themselves. We have lots of customers with older machine that are due or past due to be replaced, but we can't get any machines in at all. We place a machine order back in somewhere around the May/June time-frame, and have yet to see a single machine come in. I believe the order was for 8 or 9 machines, I'm not sure of the models, but they were all i-series machines. I take care of the parts and toner, we have others that deal with machine and accessory orders, so I don't know much about that part of the business.

SalesServiceGuy
11-04-2021, 02:58 AM
So far my office has been fine. Haven't had any issues with that particular toner (TN330) as we have a some-what large supply on hand, and don't have too many of that model out in the field yet. We tend to keep a fairly hefty supply of toner on hand, so we have only been slightly squeezed a few times, but toners that we have ordered keep trickling in. So far we haven't run completely out of anything, and have yet to have any customer down time, thankfully.

I'd say our biggest problem we have is the machines themselves. We have lots of customers with older machine that are due or past due to be replaced, but we can't get any machines in at all. We place a machine order back in somewhere around the May/June time-frame, and have yet to see a single machine come in. I believe the order was for 8 or 9 machines, I'm not sure of the models, but they were all i-series machines. I take care of the parts and toner, we have others that deal with machine and accessory orders, so I don't know much about that part of the business.

... in 2021, if you are tied to one OEM you are doing your customers a disservice. I recommend you pick up the Toshiba line as it is not resold by online resellers.

copier tech
11-04-2021, 07:29 AM
There was a fire at the main KM toner production factory this is affecting UK supply especially production print toner.

Many dealers are 'panic' buying up as much toner as they can this is in turn making the issue worse.

Notice Regarding Explosion Accident at Konica Minolta Supplies Manufacturing's Tatsuno Factory (third notice) | KONICA MINOLTA (https://www.konicaminolta.com/global/newsroom/2021/0927-01-01.html)

Drivee
11-04-2021, 07:53 AM
We may have to start using aftermarket supplies. Not something I would want to do but may not have a choice.

That is ok, as long you choose right supplier.

suomi
11-04-2021, 08:56 AM
Notice Regarding Production Resumption at Konica Minolta Supplies Factories | KONICA MINOLTA (https://www.konicaminolta.com/global/newsroom/2021/1018-01-01.html)

next week...

Katun toner will soon run out too??

kingarthur
11-04-2021, 09:34 AM
KM are supplying "half bottles" for most models at the moment, we were sent part numbers/prices by our KM rep, but have no K toner for the C458 series at all, we use Katun toner, with no effect on our copiers, but none of ours is high volume, Katun are out of stock of C458 series until "31st December". Thanks to warnings on here in August about a K toner shortage, I put in a big order with Katun/KM early September, my boss wasn't happy at the time, I explained, that without toner, we have no revenue, but now he's glad I did it. I'm retrieving empty toner bottles and making my own half bottles. I have heard that KM are buying up aftermarket toners to supply their customers...whether it's true or not, I can't say.

Toxic
11-04-2021, 09:59 AM
Few days ago i got complain from customer with C2060l and he say toners recently last much less print outs than before.
I told him he must be mistaken maybe prints was higher coverages...
Now it seems he was not wrong after reading infos here.
Luckily he is on contract and not buying toners and it would be hard to justify less toner for higher price.

brent
11-04-2021, 04:18 PM
I have several orders on backorder with konica minolta.. I am sitting pretty good with all my toners but the tn 330 is a rough one right now
if I need to iwill make my own toner.. just kidding any ideas on that toner? as far as supply and everything else I am hoping the orders will start to
trickle in from km. we have some machines on back order as well. I have 6 konica minolta bizhub 360i machines in stock with no toner lol

how fun

brent

emujo2
11-04-2021, 07:28 PM
Few days ago i got complain from customer with C2060l and he say toners recently last much less print outs than before.
I told him he must be mistaken maybe prints was higher coverages...
Now it seems he was not wrong after reading infos here.
Luckily he is on contract and not buying toners and it would be hard to justify less toner for higher price.

You must not have been to the local grocery store in the last decade..Every item is a smaller package for more money..Ice Cream and cereal come to mind. E

tsbservice
11-04-2021, 08:02 PM
You must not have been to the local grocery store in the last decade..Every item is a smaller package for more money..Ice Cream and cereal come to mind. E
Nothings related here. You buy a toner bottle with declared X toner weight but there is 0.7X toner inside that's what I understand.

Toxic
11-04-2021, 09:42 PM
Nothings related here. You buy a toner bottle with declared X toner weight but there is 0.7X toner inside that's what I understand.
Exactly like that is what i thought, tnx Tsb for understanding.

reckless
11-05-2021, 10:27 AM
I have heard that KM are buying up aftermarket toners to supply their customers...whether it's true or not, I can't say.

Has anyone tried $15 Alibaba toners? Are they oem quality? I would love to save $100 per toner.

Gift
11-05-2021, 11:16 AM
Has anyone tried $15 Alibaba toners? Are they oem quality? I would love to save $100 per toner.

Nope, guess it's like playing lottery and wouldn't expect any consistancy in quality, especially from the stuff that is currently not "sold out". From what I heard the better stuff is produced in a "chemical" process.

copyman
11-05-2021, 12:03 PM
I'm finding most aftermarket toners are running out of stock. Forget Ebay if you can find genuine the prices are 2-4 x's regular price!

Konica Minolta better figure this out quick or they are going to lose a lot of customers!

tmmdmmm
11-05-2021, 04:50 PM
It's a KM issue so you're in the right place.. Before I answer, I would like to know if the dealers have it as bad..There are rumours out there abounding. E

We're having to test turdparty on our own machines at the office, and will likely end up introducing them shortly until the supply increases again. It sucks, we'll likely get a few more service calls and killed parts, but if it keeps our customers running we'll deal with it when that happens. Normally that voids our contracts, of course now's an exception

adecanmin
11-05-2021, 05:12 PM
Is Konica Minolta the only manufacturer with toner and machine issues? Anybody have insight on the other manufacturers? At one time Konica Minolta made some of their toners in the USA.

copyman
11-06-2021, 06:01 AM
All the years of being brainwashed by the OEM's at their schools and telling my customers not use anything but genuine, I now have to tell my customers they have no choice and sell them aftermarket.

What happens when they see the aftermarket works ok and much lower price. How do we start charging them 2x's more when the genuine comes back. It just looks bad all around!

BillyCarpenter
11-06-2021, 06:06 AM
For anyone that looking into 3rd party toner, you need to contact Static Control.

Ink jet & laser toner cartridge supplier | Static Control (https://www.scc-inc.com/)

Toxic
11-06-2021, 09:10 AM
All the years of being brainwashed by the OEM's at their schools and telling my customers not use anything but genuine, I now have to tell my customers they have no choice and sell them aftermarket.

What happens when they see the aftermarket works ok and much lower price. How do we start charging them 2x's more when the genuine comes back. It just looks bad all around!

Exactly right!
+1

reckless
11-06-2021, 11:07 AM
For anyone that looking into 3rd party toner, you need to contact Static Control.

Ink jet & laser toner cartridge supplier | Static Control (https://www.scc-inc.com/)

Is there anyone cheaper? I bet we find who supplies them in china.

This is awesome, no more being ripped off. Maybe more people buy KM if aftermarket toner works better and cheaper.

SalesServiceGuy
11-06-2021, 01:15 PM
... before you jump ship on OEM toner, just remember those same OEMs are providing free technical support and parts when you need it.

There is a huge cost to pay all of these salaries, expenses, facilities and warehousing that needs to be recouped.

The 3rd party non OEM toner suppliers skate on not having any of these expenses nor responsibilities.

BillyCarpenter
11-06-2021, 01:20 PM
Is there anyone cheaper? I bet we find who supplies them in china.

This is awesome, no more being ripped off. Maybe more people buy KM if aftermarket toner works better and cheaper.

Static Control makes their own toner. They've been doing this for a long time. It's a huge company as far as aftermarket toner, drums, ect. But they don't make every toner so....

reckless
11-06-2021, 05:43 PM
... before you jump ship on OEM toner, just remember those same OEMs are providing free technical support and parts when you need it.

There is a huge cost to pay all of these salaries, expenses, facilities and warehousing that needs to be recouped.

The 3rd party non OEM toner suppliers skate on not having any of these expenses nor responsibilities.

They make money on the parts and selling machines, if toner was 10% more I could understand but they are reaping way too much. Plus they should have inventoried a lot more toner for a situation like this. Considering the profits they make it was a serious bad judgment not to stock pile 3+ months of inventory (personally id fire the guy who made this call). Printing cost should be a lot less in 2021 esp since younger people have stopped reading and book stores no longer exist.

SalesServiceGuy
11-06-2021, 08:14 PM
They make money on the parts and selling machines, if toner was 10% more I could understand but they are reaping way too much. Plus they should have inventoried a lot more toner for a situation like this. Considering the profits they make it was a serious bad judgment not to stock pile 3+ months of inventory (personally id fire the guy who made this call). Printing cost should be a lot less in 2021 esp since younger people have stopped reading and book stores no longer exist.

... you are out of touch on the hardware, OEMs do not make nearly as much as you think. OEM's have to pay for Admin staff, facilities,utilities, taxes, etc. The competitive nature of the copier business means they rarely make more than 10% margin on the hardware. On the parts they have to stock seven years after the discontinuation date and throw away a lot of dead inventory.

Why should printing cost less in 2021? Prices for raw materials and logistics costs have risen.

Have you been in a Chapters bookstore lately?

Every OEM has to make forecasts on what they need to order for the next three months based upon reports from the field.

The OEMs have been under a lot of pressure the last several years to make a profit so over inventorying a product has a cost.

reckless
11-06-2021, 09:25 PM
You make valid points, I do realize margins are thin but volumes can be high. It is a highly competitive market space and products have matured quite a bit. How much more advancement can there be other than reducing printing costs and robotizing labor/service? I am waiting for robots to start printing paper and save the need for paper feeders/rollers/trays/finishers/etc.

copier tech
11-06-2021, 10:08 PM
Ok so I have confirmed the Lexmark/Konica Minolta equivalent models use the same toner.

Simply swap the end caps over job done.

Lexmark have ample supply.

tsbservice
11-06-2021, 10:48 PM
Ok so I have confirmed the Lexmark/Konica Minolta equivalent models use the same toner.

Simply swap the end caps over job done.

Lexmark have ample supply.

This may work only on a few low end A4 models.

copier tech
11-07-2021, 11:10 AM
This may work only on a few low end A4 models.

Also works on the 8 series.

suomi
11-08-2021, 12:31 PM
Konica Minolta Supplies Tatsuno Factory Resumes Production | KONICA MINOLTA (https://www.konicaminolta.com/global/newsroom/2021/1108-01-01.html)

Factory resume production!

How many weeks will it take for the colors to arrive...??

SalesServiceGuy
11-08-2021, 04:53 PM
Konica Minolta Supplies Tatsuno Factory Resumes Production | KONICA MINOLTA (https://www.konicaminolta.com/global/newsroom/2021/1108-01-01.html)

Factory resume production!

How many weeks will it take for the colors to arrive...??

No less than four weeks as the backorders are huge.

reckless
11-08-2021, 06:49 PM
I usually love using aftermarket toners in applications where it will work. Has anyone had any experience with C6100 toners? We are not on any service contract so I don't NEED to buy OEM. I prefer saving $100+/toner where possible if it will not mess up printer. Aliexpress is having a sale $50/toner. Normally I think the TN-622 runs $200.

Custom Search