PDA

View Full Version : C458 w/ Fiery "Turn on controller" message

Custom Search

mascan42
11-05-2021, 01:27 PM
So this is happening on a basically brand new machine (was briefly at another office before the Covid shutdown, now moved here - no idea if it worked on initial setup). The Fiery isn't assigning the copier an IP address and constantly shows "turn on controller" and the Fiery button greyed out. Fiery shows 00 and I already reloaded system software.

The "turn on controller" message remains even if I connect using the two network cables method, so it's either an interface issue or something internal to the Fiery. I replaced the cable already, and the video interface board is on backorder. Is there any way to tell if the Fiery is actually running? I can't connect to the IP address since it's brand new on the network & I don't know the IP address.

Synthohol
11-05-2021, 02:08 PM
try this.

mascan42
11-05-2021, 02:12 PM
try this.

But that's not the problem I'm having.

blackcat4866
11-05-2021, 02:14 PM
I've had to do this. =^..^=

Synthohol
11-05-2021, 03:28 PM
Couple things, if the fiery is indeed live you can access it with CWS. The ip will be 172.24.249.1 or something like that.
Also you can backup the address book and to a system clear and start the fiery install from "scratch".

emujo2
11-05-2021, 05:08 PM
Assuming the Fiery is actually working, (and at least in the recent past, there was a vga port you could hook a monitor up to,) you want to unplug the network cable from the Fiery (or the wall). turn off the Fiery, put the MFP in DHCP and let it error out trying to get an address, then shut it down as well. Plug the network cables in and power up the Fiery alone. 5 min after you get 00 power on the MFP. Let it sit until the Fiery shows connected on the LCD and a config sheet prints. Once you are at least communicating with the Fiery, you need to decide which network config you want to use..Fiery=IP address, MFP = FieryIP + 1, or turn off obtain IP for engine and assign the Fiery and MFP IP addresses. After this is done you need to apply any necessary patches and MFP firmware updates. There really is no sense trying to trouble shoot this kind of issue until we can verify that the setup was done correct..Nothing worse than fixing technician mistakes.

copytechman
11-09-2021, 09:29 PM
Assuming the Fiery is actually working, (and at least in the recent past, there was a vga port you could hook a monitor up to,) you want to unplug the network cable from the Fiery (or the wall). turn off the Fiery, put the MFP in DHCP and let it error out trying to get an address, then shut it down as well. Plug the network cables in and power up the Fiery alone. 5 min after you get 00 power on the MFP. Let it sit until the Fiery shows connected on the LCD and a config sheet prints. Once you are at least communicating with the Fiery, you need to decide which network config you want to use..Fiery=IP address, MFP = FieryIP + 1, or turn off obtain IP for engine and assign the Fiery and MFP IP addresses. After this is done you need to apply any necessary patches and MFP firmware updates. There really is no sense trying to trouble shoot this kind of issue until we can verify that the setup was done correct..Nothing worse than fixing technician mistakes.

Also if the the fiery is "live" with dhcp you can locate it likely with a local network scanner (a good free one I use is called advanced IP scanner). Should resolve hostname and IP with enough info (you'd hope) to figure out what device is the fiery.

Regards.

A.

mascan42
11-11-2021, 05:21 PM
I replaced the video interface board and got the same problem. I ran the IP scanner and found nothing that identifies as Fiery or EFI in the host name or manufacturer.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this further?

emujo2
11-11-2021, 05:50 PM
Is the controller showing 00? This is a workstation..it should be able to accept a monitor and keyboard to do a IPconfig and get the APPIPA address. Ed

Synthohol
11-11-2021, 06:10 PM
Is the controller showing 00? This is a workstation..it should be able to accept a monitor and keyboard to do a IPconfig and get the APPIPA address. Ed

Video cuts out as soon as the OS starts to load unless there is a FACI kit.
If you take off the cover, the network ports have a MAC address sticker on each port.
Try ARPing it.
Ie: ARP -s 192.168.1.100 15:a6:x:x:x:b3 and hit enter. Wait a few minutes and try pinging it.
The Mac Addy I just typed is just a raw example and not to reflect actual.
Also there are 2 spaces between the ip and Mac address.
Type arp \? For help details

You can force an ip on to most any nic that way.

copytechman
11-11-2021, 06:23 PM
I replaced the video interface board and got the same problem. I ran the IP scanner and found nothing that identifies as Fiery or EFI in the host name or manufacturer.

Doesn't show at all on the ip scan at all then? I don't recall what it would identify as but you can try this if there's a known quantity of devices on network:

run a scan multiple times to see if result is consistent, then disconnect fiery and see if the number of devices decreases by one.

Just a thought.

A.

gra1
11-15-2021, 02:35 PM

Have you tried reloading the system software to a new HDD drive to test as i have had IC-416 which showed 00 on fiery led display but would still say turn on controller on MFP. once i reloaded to new HDD it would then display fiery button.

raplma
11-15-2021, 05:00 PM
Doesn't show at all on the ip scan at all then? I don't recall what it would identify as but you can try this if there's a known quantity of devices on network:

run a scan multiple times to see if result is consistent, then disconnect fiery and see if the number of devices decreases by one.

Just a thought.

A.

Just a school boy thought...
When you ran the IP scanner, was the search wide enough to catch the original IP, as set-up in the other building?
Using the "Advanced IP scanner" as already suggested - which is also the one I use - depending on how long you want the scan to run you could always enter 0-254.0-254.0-254.0-254 it would run all night...probably, but would eventually find it assuming it was connected to the network and live. Of course lessen the search range to what you know.

FYI the EFI fiery's on our IP scanner always get listed as TYAN COMPUTER CORP. under the manufactuer ID.

Edit: Don't enter what I put in above if my maths is correct that would be over 4.2 billion permutations lol!

copytechman
11-16-2021, 05:54 PM
Just a school boy thought...
When you ran the IP scanner, was the search wide enough to catch the original IP, as set-up in the other building?
Using the "Advanced IP scanner" as already suggested - which is also the one I use - depending on how long you want the scan to run you could always enter 0-254.0-254.0-254.0-254 it would run all night...probably, but would eventually find it assuming it was connected to the network and live. Of course lessen the search range to what you know.

FYI the EFI fiery's on our IP scanner always get listed as TYAN COMPUTER CORP. under the manufactuer ID.

Edit: Don't enter what I put in above if my maths is correct that would be over 4.2 billion permutations lol!

Tyan computer corp? Interesting, I'll have to keep that in mind next time I need to scan for a fiery.

Regards.
A.

Synthohol
11-16-2021, 10:47 PM
if the fiery is on a different subnet the scanner wont see it.
the first octet could be 192 or 10 or whatever the previous network was.
bet to just get the MAC address and ARP it to whatever you want it to be.
https://www.copytechnet.com/forums/attachments/konica-minolta/50824d1637103553-c458-w-fiery-turn-controller-message-arp-jpg

mascan42
11-22-2021, 01:13 PM
Replacing the Fiery HDD solved it. I was able to load system software on the original HDD, but it took longer than normal, about 15 min as opposed to 5 min on the new one.

Custom Search