PDA

View Full Version : Monintoring toner coverage area on a 8 or 8e series machine

Custom Search

JasonSBE
11-10-2021, 06:26 PM
We are trying to land a client right now that wants tiered billing based on toner coverage. I know that there are some options in service mode to modify counters based on paper size, but I wasn't sure if there was any built-in functionality for toner coverage. Could anyone shed some light on this for me? Thanks in advance.

Synthohol
11-10-2021, 07:00 PM
Thats stupid.
A page is a page is a page.
If they are that cheap sounds like an account to run from.
Rollers and fusers don't care how much toner is on the page.
It's not a Kyocera.
You can print an enhanced meter page that shows toner coverage but I still think its stupid.
If you are missing a leg you still have to buy both shoes.

raplma
11-10-2021, 07:23 PM
We are trying to land a client right now that wants tiered billing based on toner coverage.

This isn't as odd as it sounds. As a printer we have competitors who do just this, they vary their charges relative to toner coverage. After all an SRA4 full coverage with bleed uses significantly more toner than a page of text with 5% coverage. We've never charged out like this, even though we are not on click charge, but for those who are on the click, a click is a click irrespective of coverage in the KM universe, although it can be relative to page size. The printer in question then uses software to analyse each PDF before printing and charge correspondingly. I'm no account manager as you, but would ask even if it were possible to achieve what they are asking all you're doing is reducing the possibility of any margin.

tsbservice
11-10-2021, 07:24 PM
We are trying to land a client right now that wants tiered billing based on toner coverage. I know that there are some options in service mode to modify counters based on paper size, but I wasn't sure if there was any built-in functionality for toner coverage. Could anyone shed some light on this for me? Thanks in advance.
Short answer Yes there is. But Synt warned You!

JasonSBE
11-10-2021, 07:34 PM
Short answer Yes there is. But Synt warned You!

I'm not thrilled about it, either. It's just my job to see if I can make it happen for the owner. Do you know anything about how the machine needs to be configured or could you please point me to a guide? I looked on KM's site and the only information I could find pertained to the production press equipment.

emujo2
11-10-2021, 07:39 PM
Everything is based on size, not toner usage..and, as most service contracts cover parts, supplies, sometime staples, why is this even an issue..If I could bill based on coverage I would be able to buy a 60ft yacht..some of these print shops..13x19 full bleed, 23 % coverage, I'm lucky if I can get a bottle rated for 90K to last 10K..E

mojorolla
11-10-2021, 08:29 PM
You have to enable the setting, SSW 206 (00000001). Once enabled, you can configure under Billing Settings>Coverage Counter Settings.
Generally only use this setup in print shops.

:)

BillyCarpenter
11-10-2021, 08:45 PM
To the best of my knowledge, there are only 2 major brands that can do true tiered billing (via toner coverage.)

1. Xerox
2. Kyocera

BillyCarpenter
11-10-2021, 08:48 PM
By the way, this feature is a huge advantage to the salesperson and it's hard to compete against.

Synthohol
11-10-2021, 09:24 PM
I know I'm a spoiled tech, I just think it's ridiculous over .00x a click.
If my hands were tied I'd charge a smidgen less but they have to buy the toner.
Use less toner you won't buy as much. Use more you buy more often.

Basing CPP on lack of toner usage seems trivial and does not use the fuser, drums, belt or rollers any less than if you printed a picture of a penny on 8.5x11 or a copy of a full bleed magazine cover.

I will bow out of this thread gracefully as I'm not in sales and still have my soul ;)

BillyCarpenter
11-10-2021, 09:30 PM
I know I'm a spoiled tech, I just think it's ridiculous over .00x a click.
If my hands were tied I'd charge a smidgen less but they have to buy the toner.
Use less toner you won't buy as much. Use more you buy more often.

Basing CPP on lack of toner usage seems trivial and does not use the fuser, drums, belt or rollers any less than if you printed a picture of a penny on 8.5x11 or a copy of a full bleed magazine cover.

I will bow out of this thread gracefully as I'm not in sales and still have my soul ;)

Think of it this way. Some customers only print "spot" color - less than 2% coverage.

Some customers print mostly 50%+ coverage.

Why would I want to charge the client 5-cents for both when it obviously costs me much less $ on the customer that prints only spot color?

copiertec
11-10-2021, 09:35 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, are copies not a business expense that gets deducted in the loss column at the end of the year? I also believe office equipment expense is another loss at the end of the year. It's like putting gas into your car as well as all other mechanical expenses. I have heard of copier companies going down to .03 per color page to sell a copier. I also am under the impression that on Kyocera's you need to purchase software for the 3 tier billing, Billy?

tsbservice
11-10-2021, 09:35 PM
Guys 8 or 8e models production print. They're not. Just office A3. And obviously cheap customer.

BillyCarpenter
11-10-2021, 09:43 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, are copies not a business expense that gets deducted in the loss column at the end of the year? I also believe office equipment expense is another loss at the end of the year. It's like putting gas into your car as well as all other mechanical expenses. I have heard of copier companies going down to .03 per color page to sell a copier. I also am under the impression that on Kyocera's you need to purchase software for the 3 tier billing, Billy?

No purchase of software necessary. It's standard. Also, Kyocera is the only manufacturer to where you can customize the percentage of toner to be billed. On Xerox there are only preset levels. I can set Kyocera to whatever percentage that I want:

copiertec
11-10-2021, 09:46 PM
Agreed, we have taken on those clients before that want to split hairs on CPC. At first, you feel it's a victory but after a few years you realize it was a loss because all the hoops they make you jump through to earn your money.

copiertec
11-10-2021, 09:49 PM
No purchase of software necessary. It's standard. Also, Kyocera is the only manufacturer to where you can customize the percentage of toner to be billed. On Xerox there are only preset levels. I can set Kyocera to whatever percentage that I want:

I will have to pm you and have you teach me a thing or two. I thought you needed to purchase software to decipher the 3 tier billing.

BillyCarpenter
11-10-2021, 09:52 PM
Agreed, we have taken on those clients before that want to split hairs on CPC. At first, you feel it's a victory but after a few years you realize it was a loss because all the hoops they make you jump through to earn your money.

Here's the way I approach tiered billing.

I never mention to the customer that it's an option. Why? Because I'm in business to make money and I don't give things away if I don't have to.

However, if I'm in a competitive situation, I'll say something like this:

Sir, I think I can make you an offer that will help you decide between my company and our competitor.

We can offer tiered billing.

Our machine is super smart and it knows how much toner is on each page you print. Our competitor can't do that. Thus, we'll only charge you 2-cents per page if it's less than 1% coverage. If it's 5-20 percent, we'll charge you 4-cents. Anything over 20 percent will be charged 7 cents.

Those are hypothetical rates, but I'm telling you, it's hard for the competition to compete against.

BillyCarpenter
11-10-2021, 10:03 PM
I will have to pm you and have you teach me a thing or two. I thought you needed to purchase software to decipher the 3 tier billing.

This should help you out. Let me know if you need anything..

Tiered Meter Reading

From page 3 of the Technical Bulletin:

Example:

The U332 defaults are changed to the following:

Level 1 = 2% Level 2 = 5%

Level 1 Setting: This equates to an average of 2% for each color (C/M/Y), for a total of 6%coverage. Level 2 Setting: This equates to a average of 5% for each color (C/M/Y) for a total of 15% coverage.
• If the total C/M/Y averages 2% or less, the page counts under Level 1. • If the total C/M/Y averages between 2% and 5%, the page counts under Level 2. • If the total C/M/Y averages over 5%, the page would count under Level 3.

Example 1:
Cyan 2.3%, Magenta 2.3% Yellow 1%, Total 5.6 % coverage for all three colors. This would count under Level 1 because it is below 6% total coverage or averages 1.86% which is below the Level 1 setting of 2% in U332.
5.6% ÷ 3 (C/M/Y) = 1.9%
If you are printing all Cyan with a total coverage of 5.6%. This would still count to Level 1 because you are below 6% total coverage or average 1.86%.
Example 2:
Cyan 2.1%, Magenta 2.3% Yellow 2%, Total 6.4 % coverage for all three colors. This would count under Level 2 because it is above 6% total coverage or averages 2.13% which is above the Level 1 setting of 2% in U332 and does not exceed the Level 2 setting of 5%.
Example 3:
Cyan 5.9%, Magenta 4.2% Yellow 5%, Total 15.1 % coverage for all three colors. This would count under Level 3 because it is above 15% total coverage or average 5.03% which is above the Level 2 setting of 5% in U332.

Custom Search