PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous I Series toner issues

Custom Search

mjmjross
11-19-2021, 12:00 AM
Hey group,

We have been having a run on "toner rocks" recently. Only on the I series. The last 2 were C550i and both had the exact same problem. Dumping black on the print glass causing voids on Black only. Printed all 4 gradation sheets and the colors were solid and clean. Then we find the waste auger on the transfer belt all bound up and making noise (on some). On others, the waste was building up on the waste hopper door and not falling into the opening.

Anyone else seeing weird (black) toner stuff on the I series?

Thanks!

avecosat
11-19-2021, 07:39 AM
Yes, I have some C250i with the problem of noise in the transfer belt by the auger. It is the same as in the C360 series so they told me in KM that it was a problem of ventilation and humidity .. Puff as usual

suomi
11-19-2021, 01:48 PM
Toner clogging in the ITBU C360i series

Cause
The spring which is opening the shutter of the Waste Toner Box is to long. Therefore
the shutter is not opening completely.

mjmjross
11-19-2021, 05:04 PM
Toner clogging in the ITBU C360i series

Cause
The spring which is opening the shutter of the Waste Toner Box is to long. Therefore
the shutter is not opening completely.

We have a new one here and just took the spring out to test it. The door is only spring loaded to keep the customer from dumping waste. I like this suggestion and if I get called back to one of the problem machines, I might just remove that spring. The box opens the transfer belt chute door when it's installed so the spring (and door, IMHO) are not needed!

Thanks for the reply!

suomi
11-19-2021, 08:13 PM
the title could be different. This is waste toner/belt problem.

there is a new version of the waste toner box

same number but orange or blue sticker ..

tech51
11-20-2021, 10:16 AM
the title could be different. This is waste toner/belt problem.

there is a new version of the waste toner box

same number but orange or blue sticker ..

Rather than wasting time and money on a replacement just pop the spring out and cut about 6 turns off it.

As long as the square opening is fully exposed, that will fix it.

tsbservice
11-20-2021, 11:47 AM
This is already discussed here:
I-Series belt cleaning units clogging up (https://www.copytechnet.com/forums/konica-minolta/160480-i-series-belt-cleaning-units-clogging-up.html)
and there:
C750i (https://www.copytechnet.com/forums/konica-minolta/159740-c750i-post1896472.html)
Look for B0265 post. Agree with others cut that spring.

srvctec
11-29-2021, 10:55 PM
This is already discussed here:
I-Series belt cleaning units clogging up (https://www.copytechnet.com/forums/konica-minolta/160480-i-series-belt-cleaning-units-clogging-up.html)
and there:
C750i (https://www.copytechnet.com/forums/konica-minolta/159740-c750i-post1896472.html)
Look for B0265 post. Agree with others cut that spring.

I still don't see how that spring has anything to do with the issue (I could be totally wrong) because it only holds the shutter closed to prevent spills. As long as the mechanical part that shoves open the shutter/door is actually shoving it open, I fail to see how the spring comes into play. If the spring were shorter, it would just make shoving in the aux waste conveyance part, harder to shove in.

Drivee
11-30-2021, 09:55 AM
Another problem is transport or storage toner on high temperature. That can be big issue. I measure last air shipment, it was 60C on airport! Plane containers are from aluminum and that metal transfer and generate heat very hast and easy.

tech51
11-30-2021, 12:44 PM
I still don't see how that spring has anything to do with the issue (I could be totally wrong) because it only holds the shutter closed to prevent spills. As long as the mechanical part that shoves open the shutter/door is actually shoving it open, I fail to see how the spring comes into play. If the spring were shorter, it would just make shoving in the aux waste conveyance part, harder to shove in.

The box still fits but the spring stops the door opening fully so a toner build up happens at the end of the transfer belt auger.

The ones I’ve seen have this build up turn into a toner rock which ends up binding the auger and causing the gears to jump

Shortening the spring allows the door to open fully.

Not had a call back on the ones I’ve done so far.

tsbservice
11-30-2021, 02:35 PM
The box still fits but the spring stops the door opening fully so a toner build up happens at the end of the transfer belt auger.

The ones I’ve seen have this build up turn into a toner rock which ends up binding the auger and causing the gears to jump

This.
I have made 2 jigs from toothpicks one 52 and one 55mm and now cut this spring as routine.

srvctec
11-30-2021, 09:41 PM

BUT, has enough time elapsed since the modifications to say it definitely fixes it? Not doubting you but we have some machines in the field for over a year and have never had the issue and others that had the cleaning unit plug up within a couple months.

This.
I have made 2 jigs from toothpicks one 52 and one 55mm and now cut this spring as routine.

I have ruler in my toolbox for stuff like that. :cool:

tsbservice
11-30-2021, 09:48 PM
BUT, has enough time elapsed since the modifications to say it definitely fixes it? Not doubting you but we have some machines in the field for over a year and have never had the issue and others that had the cleaning unit plug up within a couple months.

Must be random issue I think. Same as you pull out Wtb and get message about some drum unit incorrectly placed.
Ruler is nice but weights more :)

tech51
12-01-2021, 06:24 PM
[QUOTE=srvctec;1995020]BUT, has enough time elapsed since the modifications to say it definitely fixes it? Not doubting you but we have some machines in the field for over a year and have never had the issue and others that had the cleaning unit plug up within a couple months.

I think at some point fairly recently a batch of these have been poorly manufactured.

I’ve only had it on machines installed in the last year or so.

Older ones don’t have the issue.

As for being called back, the last one I did was a couple of months ago and so far so good.

srvctec
12-01-2021, 08:36 PM

Must be random issue I think. Same as you pull out Wtb and get message about some drum unit incorrectly placed.
Ruler is nice but weights more :)

OK, now I see what my whole issue was with NOT seeing how the spring could cause an issue. I was going off this post

I-Series belt cleaning units clogging up (https://www.copytechnet.com/forums/konica-minolta/160480-i-series-belt-cleaning-units-clogging-up-post1926182.html#post1926182)

in the thread I started a few weeks ago, and was thinking the spring in question is an extension spring. The one in the photo in the above post is not the one in question and is an extension spring on a different shutter. Soooo, that's why I didn't see how cutting off the end of an extension spring could solve the issue.

Fast forward to today when I decided we should go modify the springs on the 3 machines we already had with the issue, and low and behold, I discover the spring in question is a compression spring. Totally different and I completely understand how that could cause an issue. We don't have any of these i-series in the shop to look at and see how it's made and I never paid attention to it when the issue happened and I dealt with it on a service call a couple times.

So, we'll be cutting the compression springs for the auxiliary waste toner box shutter on all of these i-series machines as we work on them.

Custom Search