PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous C308 K Drum Replacement

Custom Search

ileonid
01-05-2022, 12:08 AM
Hi I am very new to the forum, thanks in advance for everyone's comments and support.

I got a KM C308 with page count about 130k. I checked the Consumable Status and found the K Drum reaches 0% about 5 month ago, we printed another 15k B/W pages now but never got "The Drum Unit (K) need to be replaced." message. Is there any issue with the settings? Or I can just ignore the 0% drum, and keep printing until I got the error message?

The waste toner box got same issue, the existing waste toner box is full and we stop getting error message to replace the waste toner box as usual.

Many thanks.

tmmdmmm
01-05-2022, 12:29 AM
Hi I am very new to the forum, thanks in advance for everyone's comments and support.

I got a KM C308 with page count about 130k. I checked the Consumable Status and found the K Drum reaches 0% about 5 month ago, we printed another 15k B/W pages now but never got "The Drum Unit (K) need to be replaced." message. Is there any issue with the settings? Or I can just ignore the 0% drum, and keep printing until I got the error message?

The waste toner box got same issue, the existing waste toner box is full and we stop getting error message to replace the waste toner box as usual.

Many thanks.

8 series drums are notorious for causing lines through the images around or before life, which itself will give you more headaches. You can ignore it, sure, but its $130 to replace. I'd buy it now and the moment you see a faint line swap it out before any more issues arrive. They seem to pop up almost overnight, and can not make 200% like some of the 4 series machines did when customers went two or three years without calling us.

ileonid
01-05-2022, 12:50 AM
8 series drums are notorious for causing lines through the images around or before life, which itself will give you more headaches. You can ignore it, sure, but its $130 to replace. I'd buy it now and the moment you see a faint line swap it out before any more issues arrive. They seem to pop up almost overnight, and can not make 200% like some of the 4 series machines did when customers went two or three years without calling us.

Many thanks tmmdmmm (https://www.copytechnet.com/forums/members/tmmdmmm.html), you are correct, we already got the lines now. My question is the manual says "The Drum unit must not be replaced before the relevant message appears", can I just simply change the drum unit without the message?

femaster
01-05-2022, 02:42 AM
Yes, you can change the drum without any issues. The chip on the drum will reset the drum counter and relevant parts of the machine.

Most likely someone has turned off the warning messages in service mode, which would explain why they never showed up. If you are curious, you can access the web interface of the copier (via your PCs web browser using the IP address of the copier), and any warning messages that would have normally been displayed on the copier screen will show up in the web interface. It will let you know if anything else is near or over life, what your toner levels are, etc.

tmmdmmm
01-05-2022, 03:47 AM
Many thanks tmmdmmm (https://www.copytechnet.com/forums/members/tmmdmmm.html), you are correct, we already got the lines now. My question is the manual says "The Drum unit must not be replaced before the relevant message appears", can I just simply change the drum unit without the message?

You can ignore that "You must not until" for 8 series. I think its remnants of toner bottles not being chipped in the slower 4 series and below. Regardless, if you have the lines its time to replace and you will not have any issues (assuming its OEM)

copyman
01-05-2022, 01:58 PM
I believe Kon Min changed to the less reliable charge roller so drums wouldn't last as long. I'm sure this new PCR design was made & tested so drums wouldn't last that long after hitting 0%. Some of the prior drums with charge grid could last 2 full cycles or more. I've had some "4" series run 300K + with original drums! K/M didn't like this and wanted to sell more consumables. Fortunately there are aftermarket parts to rebuild the PCR drums. Have only rebuilt a few drums so need to see how they work long term.

Gift
01-05-2022, 02:19 PM
Nooooooo it's oooonly because of the ozone emissions.... :D

Woxner
01-05-2022, 05:28 PM
At km we set all machines to run till fail. Under state confirm then table number we look at the voltage. The closer to 1300 volts that is when the drum will fail. New drums are 1800 tp 2200 volts. I have seen a few fail at 1450 volts. Transfer belts are set to fail also. There is no setting for waste box.

JR2ALTA
01-05-2022, 10:00 PM

Many thanks.

I don't quite understand your last sentence but as far as Waste Bottles go, the Replace message shouldn't go away on it's own, unless it had a one-off faulty message.

ileonid
01-06-2022, 08:05 AM
I don't quite understand your last sentence but as far as Waste Bottles go, the Replace message shouldn't go away on it's own, unless it had a one-off faulty message.
Thanks JR2ALTA, we used to get waste toner full messages then replace the waste toner. But it seems the copier stopped showing the messages, I will login the service mode and check.

kingarthur
01-06-2022, 08:30 AM
Thanks JR2ALTA, we used to get waste toner full messages then replace the waste toner. But it seems the copier stopped showing the messages, I will login the service mode and check.

log in as tech, then system 2 , make sure "consumable life reminder" is on. This should hopefully tell you when WTB needs replacing. as others have said, the drums are only replaced when cq dictates, when we set them up, the drum life warnings are switched off

Custom Search