PDA

View Full Version : C-258, unable to load firmware...

Custom Search

Oystercopy
01-16-2022, 02:55 PM
Hey Guys, I've done the usual things, using the same USB stick I use to load all the firmware, etc.
Unplugged the USB cable from the board and attempted to use the stick directly in the board
Unplugged the hard drive, and also Un-Installed the hard drive. Formatted the SSD drive, reinitialized the machine

What I get is the machine either:
*staying at two towers and never going anywhere, or
*just rebooting into regular copy mode, and never even TRYING to load F/W

Any ideas?
OC

blackcat4866
01-16-2022, 03:18 PM
Are you aware of the red Stop button? I recommend that you take a glance a the "Firmware" section of the manual. =^..^=

tsbservice
01-16-2022, 03:54 PM
Are you aware of the red Stop button? I recommend that you take a glance a the "Firmware" section of the manual. =^..^=

Huhh.... right I believe OC was doing mostly Toshy in the past but he should be familiar now with most KMs.
I would try loading FW with front door open. Also 8 series there is no SSD instead they use eMMC(cheap) which may be bad. There's a way to format this also if memory serves me. I can dig it if you need.
What's the initial problem if I may ask?

Oystercopy
01-16-2022, 09:12 PM

You know Black Cat, this is definitely not the first time you've made a snarky comment on something posted here, when people are genuinely asking for help, and I think it should be beneath you at this point in your life/career to try to put other people down. I've been doing this over 40 years and - YES - I've performed MANY F/W upgrades to MANY Konica Minolta machines. You should know, after reading my question, that this is not someone inexperienced and/or "not reading the manual", which is an insipid and useless comment/assumption. You can obviously tell from the way I worded my question that I am not a rookie, but even if I were, that's not the right way to approach someone who needs help.

Most of the answers I've read that you've posed to myself and others are WAY off base, technically, and mostly useless, intended solely to look like "the smarter one in the room". Well, you're not pal, I'm here to tell ya.

Any other useless and unhelpful comments can be directed at my avatar...oops, I don't have one.

OC

Oystercopy
01-16-2022, 09:14 PM
Huhh.... right I believe OC was doing mostly Toshy in the past but he should be familiar now with most KMs.
I would try loading FW with front door open. Also 8 series there is no SSD instead they use eMMC(cheap) which may be bad. There's a way to format this also if memory serves me. I can dig it if you need.
What's the initial problem if I may ask?

Thanks for the help, TSB. You're always on target with suggestions and I appreciate it.

There's no error code, the machine runs normally. It simply will stop at the first two towers and that's it. Or, just boots up to the ready screen, as if I'd never had a USB stick in it and put it in F/W mode.
Weird.
OC

copyman
01-16-2022, 10:46 PM
Not sure if it was mentioned but you leave front door open when updating F/W on the "8" series.

blackcat4866
01-16-2022, 11:51 PM
You're right about one thing: I don't spend a lot of time assuming and guessing when there isn't much information to work with ... not even the firmware level. I try to follow the KISS Principal at first (keep it simple/stupid).

Since you already have so much experience, I probably won't be able to help out. =^..^=

Black Cloud
01-17-2022, 02:45 AM
Ostercopy, I think tsbservice has it right. I've seen this (stop at 2 shark fins crash and reboot) on BH 284 and it was the SSD board.

Oystercopy
01-17-2022, 04:14 AM
You're right about one thing: I don't spend a lot of time assuming and guessing when there isn't much information to work with ... not even the firmware level. I try to follow the KISS Principal at first (keep it simple/stupid).

Since you already have so much experience, I probably won't be able to help out. =^..^=

Dude, there was MORE than enough information for others to help out, so what do you think the problem is? Is it your presumption that the KISS method was not used in this case? And if so, why?
Experience doesn't always fix the machine (or the customer), but ATTITUDE does.
OC

Oystercopy
01-17-2022, 04:16 AM
Ostercopy, I think tsbservice has it right. I've seen this (stop at 2 shark fins crash and reboot) on BH 284 and it was the SSD board.

Thanks Black Cloud... I had a feeling this was going to be the case. I just didn't want to send the machine out (I never do) with old F/W. That's the only reason I was trying to upgrade it.
Otherwise, the machine functions fine... strange. Machine never "crashes" though, only stops at the two fins and doesn't go anywhere else. I have a spare SSD board I can try, just didn't
want to screw something else up if I just want to try it and then remove it if it doesn't fix the problem.
OC

tsbservice
01-17-2022, 06:21 AM
I would conduct Self-diagnostic (if it still fails to load with front door open).

Procedure (using SERVICE MODE menu)
1. Call the Service Mode to the screen.
2. Touch these keys in this order: [State Confirmation] g [Self-diagnostic] g [Check All].
3. Press the Start key to start the check procedure.
4. When the check procedure is completed, the results are shown on the screen. If any of the check results are NG, take measures upon confirmation of the corruption details mentioned above and Next action.
Note: Press the Stop key to interrupt the check sequence.

Procedure (using main power switch)
1. Open the front door.
2. Turn the main power switch ON while pressing the power key. After a short beep sound is made once, release the power key and close the front door. Wait to display the self-diagnosis (full check) screen.
3. After displaying the self-diagnosis screen, press the start key. The self-diagnosis (full check) is started. The result of the diagnosis is displayed for every item. (OK/NG)
4. After finishing the diagnosis for all items, turn the main power switch OFF.
5. If there is an item displaying NG, investigate the NG item and take countermeasures.

P.S.
I feel you're on wrong way and BC is most helpful/humble person on this site. Take care.

copier tech
01-17-2022, 05:03 PM
Hey Guys, I've done the usual things, using the same USB stick I use to load all the firmware, etc.
Unplugged the USB cable from the board and attempted to use the stick directly in the board
Unplugged the hard drive, and also Un-Installed the hard drive. Formatted the SSD drive, reinitialized the machine

What I get is the machine either:
*staying at two towers and never going anywhere, or
*just rebooting into regular copy mode, and never even TRYING to load F/W

Any ideas?
OC

Basically the machine is working fine & you just want to update the firmware?

Not sure if this has been suggested but try another USB pen, or even a few if you have some to hand I see this all the time & usually trying another pen it will start. Might take a few attempts.

Also confirm you can print from the USB pen is always a good test.

Oystercopy
01-22-2022, 04:54 PM
Basically the machine is working fine & you just want to update the firmware?

Not sure if this has been suggested but try another USB pen, or even a few if you have some to hand I see this all the time & usually trying another pen it will start. Might take a few attempts.

Also confirm you can print from the USB pen is always a good test.

Yes, I want to update the F/W as I do with every machine that goes out. I have done hundreds of these updates, so this particular machine has a problem. There is one DIMM that shows "NG" in the memory check, but I'm told that it will do that if there's no memory stick in that slot (which there's not) so I'm not sure that's the issue.

And I'm using the same USB sticks I use for ALL the updates I do, so I don't think this is a USB compatibility issue.
OC

tsbservice
01-22-2022, 05:07 PM
Yes, I want to update the F/W as I do with every machine that goes out. I have done hundreds of these updates, so this particular machine has a problem. There is one DIMM that shows "NG" in the memory check, but I'm told that it will do that if there's no memory stick in that slot (which there's not) so I'm not sure that's the issue.

And I'm using the same USB sticks I use for ALL the updates I do, so I don't think this is a USB compatibility issue.
OC

You took it right OC, it will display NG complaining about optional memory I see it many times. I for sure won't left machine with old firmware to go out of my hands.
Did you try it with door open? Will it recognize any stick in USB slot in normal mode?

Oystercopy
01-22-2022, 09:23 PM
Yes, tried it with the door open.

And yes, tried the USB stick in both locations, including with the harness removed and direct into the board.

And yes, the machine recognizes the USB stick in normal operations.
OC

rrrohan
01-24-2022, 05:56 AM
have you got the folder structure correct? (not sure if you have loaded KM firmware before not talking down to you)

needs to be FW0002 in root directory then files. i used to make the mistake of putting files in the root instead of folder after years of working on 4 series and older

Oystercopy
01-24-2022, 03:52 PM
have you got the folder structure correct? (not sure if you have loaded KM firmware before not talking down to you)

needs to be FW0002 in root directory then files. i used to make the mistake of putting files in the root instead of folder after years of working on 4 series and older

Yes, I stated above that I've done hundreds of F/W updates on these machines, and YES, the files are in the root of the drive.
OC

tsbservice
01-24-2022, 03:59 PM
OC usb thumb drives sometimes crash all of the sudden. Did you make firmware update with this thumb on another machine?

Custom Search