PDA

View Full Version : Jamming Bizhub 364e strange jamming problem

Custom Search

mike_hartung
01-19-2022, 04:29 PM
​This is a story I am sharing with my fellow technicians to help with field repairs. Customer called with a jamming problem Bizhub 364e copier gave no code. When I arrived I observed a J99-01 code running 11 x 8 1/2 size paper out of tray #1 about every 10-15 copies with the paper just stopping coming out about 4 inches past the exit. I tried the usual fixes, new rollers, one way clutches cleaning sensors ect. No help. I checked SSD for the J99-01 code as I have not dealt with this code much. All I could find was related to the base feed units #3 and #4 which the customer had but was not using. And a special firmware related to IMAGE STABILIZATION. I repaired the #3 and #4 feed units as per the bulletin and installed the special firmware. No help, same jamming, same code. So I was getting very frustrated at this point and decided to try tray #2. Running tray #2 11 x 8/2 paper I got about 10 copies out and a jam occurred J12-01 code. I switch all the new parts I had put in tray #1 to tray #2. Same jamming, same code, J12-01. I decided to try tray #3. No jamming. The machine ran great using tray #3. I defaulted the machine to tray #3 for the customer.

I left the customers office with a promise to return. I was going to exchange the upper feed unit as an assembly thinking there was something very wrong with it. I arrived at the office and secured a upper feed unit from a parts machine we had on hand. As I was preparing to return to the customer they called and said that their machine was now calling for the drum to be replaced. Since they have a Bizhub 364e there is only one drum so I made sure I had a new K drum with me when I returned. I got to thinking about the IMAGE STABILIZATION that SSD had mentioned And I wondered if the problem could be that simple. Could the old drum be causing the jamming. When I arrived back at the customer I replaced the drum first thing. To my surprised I had no more jamming from trays #1 or #2. It seems that the drum was worn to the point where IMAGE STABILIZATION was conflicting with the jam timing causing the jamming. REPLACING THE K DRUM COMPLETELY FIXED THE JAMMING PROBLEM!!!

I have been a copier technician for 43 years and I have never seen a problem like this. So I if you are having a strange jamming problem that is not following the diagnostic rules, and the drum is close to end of life, You might want to try replacement of the drum or drum's. All I can figure is there is some conflict with the jam signals and the image stabilization when the drum is very worn or near end of life. Thought this could help my fellow technicians help so I shared my story.

srvctec
01-19-2022, 04:40 PM
Wow, that's weird!!

Thanks for the info!

tmmdmmm
01-19-2022, 04:56 PM
Yeah, a few times with 4s and once with an 8 I've had it show a j9901 after stabilization. Open the door, no paper, close, stabilize, jam, repeat.
You can change stabilization setting (i think) to anything but black priority as a temporary fix, but reloading FW is what solves the issue. I'd do that on your machine regardless

Hansoon
01-19-2022, 05:01 PM
Could it be arcing to the old drum causing the logic to become confused?

Hans

mike_hartung
01-19-2022, 05:04 PM
Yeah, a few times with 4s and once with an 8 I've had it show a j9901 after stabilization. Open the door, no paper, close, stabilize, jam, repeat.
You can change stabilization setting (i think) to anything but black priority as a temporary fix, but reloading FW is what solves the issue. I'd do that on your machine regardless
Cannot change image stabilization settings on a black only machine. Firmware update was tried as I stated.

tsbservice
01-19-2022, 06:26 PM
Interesting thread. I wish we have also - total counter, parts life and jam history to make picture little bigger.

mike_hartung
01-19-2022, 06:56 PM
Interesting thread. I wish we have also - total counter, parts life and jam history to make picture little bigger.
Meter count about 350K. K drum installed was the machine's 3rd replaced. Transfer belt replaced about 60K ago. NO history of jamming. Machine set to show all supply replacements as the customer has no maintenance plan. Chargeable for each call. 5% of are customers and chargeable. Why do I always have these kind of problems on chargeable accounts?

tsbservice
01-19-2022, 07:22 PM
Meter count about 350K. K drum installed was the machine's 3rd replaced. Transfer belt replaced about 60K ago. NO history of jamming. Machine set to show all supply replacements as the customer has no maintenance plan. Chargeable for each call. 5% of are customers and chargeable. Why do I always have these kind of problems on chargeable accounts?

Thanks for that clarification I feel your pain. The one of the reasons I asked I have almost similar machine except total counter is x5 and never experienced (thanks God) such a jamming issue.

mike_hartung
01-22-2022, 12:57 PM
Update......Customer called back 3 days later same jamming problem. Replaced upper feed unit. No more jamming.........for now that is????

copyman
01-22-2022, 01:57 PM
Update......Customer called back 3 days later same jamming problem. Replaced upper feed unit. No more jamming.........for now that is????

That makes more sense. I didn't think a drum would cause that issue. The only issue I've had with over life drums are developer units crashing, never the issue you posted about. I have around 100 "4" series I work on and never saw it.
On rare occasions the jam codes aren't that accurate. If paper is stopping in fuser I would look at the fuser drive clutch, think it's CL8. Very common to cause issues.

Custom Search