PDA

View Full Version : C6500 DV Material or DV Unit?

Custom Search

vickash
01-20-2022, 05:57 PM
Hi all,

This is my first time dealing with a developer issue on my used C6500, and I need some advice please.

After startup yesterday I noticed there was about a 2" strip at the operator side of the machine with almost no black coverage. I pulled the developer out and sure enough, that part of the mag roller was almost bare. I wish I took a photo as soon as I pulled it, so it would be more obvious, but there's one attached. I turned the gears a small amount, that's probably why the bottom part filled in. Then some toner that was on top of the unit fell onto it when I was vacuuming, but you get the idea.

It didn't throw any codes, nor were there any quality issues before this happened. Has only run OEM toner with me, and with the previous owner, as far as I can tell from their service log.

The counters are:
DV Unit: 408k / 600k
DV Material: 111k / 200k (but 199% distance)

I swapped in the black unit from my parts machine in the meantime, and that's running fine.

Should I bother trying new developer material in this, or is that the end of this unit?

Thanks in advance!

https://i.postimg.cc/GRz3STRZ/IMG-7202.jpg?dl=1

Phil B.
01-20-2022, 06:16 PM
Hi all,

This is my first time dealing with a developer issue on my used C6500, and I need some advice please.

After startup yesterday I noticed there was about a 2" strip at the operator side of the machine with almost no black coverage. I pulled the developer out and sure enough, that part of the mag roller was almost bare. I wish I took a photo as soon as I pulled it, so it would be more obvious, but there's one attached. I turned the gears a small amount, that's probably why the bottom part filled in. Then some toner that was on top of the unit fell onto it when I was vacuuming, but you get the idea.

It didn't throw any codes, nor were there any quality issues before this happened. Has only run OEM toner with me, and with the previous owner, as far as I can tell from their service log.

The counters are:

I swapped in the black unit from my parts machine in the meantime, and that's running fine.

Should I bother trying new developer material in this, or is that the end of this unit?

Thanks in advance!

https://i.postimg.cc/GRz3STRZ/IMG-7202.jpg?dl=1Being an end user I would hire a trained tech, because there are adjustments to be run after the new dev powder is installed.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

wjurls
01-20-2022, 08:19 PM
Being an end user I would hire a trained tech, because there are adjustments to be run after the new dev powder is installed.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

This! Not to mention a good tech may be able to tell if it's a problem with the dev unit or something else obstructing the flow. Those old machines are notorious for getting dry rotted bits of foam and mylar into the units.

orestesp
01-20-2022, 10:01 PM
Hi all,

The counters are:

Thanks in advance!

https://i.postimg.cc/GRz3STRZ/IMG-7202.jpg?dl=1
Judging by the distance counter on the developer and assuming that the same has been true for the 1 or 2 bags of developer that might have been inside the unit:

Although the unit is within life, printed pages wise, it might have been rotating for far longer than that counter suggests. As stated, I am also guessing that something has probably gotten between the mag roller and the doctor blade. If you take the four self taping screws that screw onto the plastic cover and remove that cover you will see the inside of the unit and the doctor blade. You might be able to see if something has been caught on the blade.

There is a piece of foam that is running the length of the unit and a second piece of foam (a rectangle, to be exact) on the side of the unit where it receives the toner. Maybe part of the former seal somehow broke off and got caught on the blade.

Either way, if pieces of foam or some kind of contaminants have found their way in there it is very difficult to get them out. Even if you empty out the unit, you will waste a bag of good developer if you were to reuse this unit, as it is more than likely that white stripes will appear sooner or later due to a piece been left in there.

I would dig deeper into the issue to find what exactly caused this, but if it what I described, I would put a new unit or a known good one with some life left in it + new developer. Be sure to follow the procedure outlined in the service manual otherwise you could damage the dv unit when emptying it out or have problems with image quality and what not.

orestesp
01-21-2022, 05:50 PM
To give you a better picture, this is what it looks like when the seal material has completely withered away. This is a very old unit with over 2,000,000 impressions on it. A piece of foam could easily find its way on the back of the doctor blade, causing you a issue similar to what you are experiencing.

L0rdC
01-25-2022, 06:30 PM
This! Not to mention a good tech may be able to tell if it's a problem with the dev unit or something else obstructing the flow. Those old machines are notorious for getting dry rotted bits of foam and mylar into the units.

We have that problem in the Y unit, my finger still hurts from turning the gear to get all the bits out :rolleyes:

tsbservice
01-25-2022, 07:18 PM
We have that problem in the Y unit, my finger still hurts from turning the gear to get all the bits out :rolleyes:

Practice with some Toshibas and your fingers will get callus - no more pain ;)

Custom Search