PDA

View Full Version : Konica Minolta c458

Custom Search

Kenny
01-26-2022, 03:52 PM
Hi guys,

got a Konica Minolta c458 that jams on the bypass tray. Anytime we try to print/copy anything from there the up/down mechanism doesn’t seem to work properly. We have replaced the full bypass tray and still has same issue,

Does anyone have any suggestions.

machine is on the latest firmware.

blackcat4866
01-26-2022, 05:02 PM
what jam code?
what media type?
what media type settings?
paper size/orientation?
how many sheets?

=^..^=

tsbservice
01-26-2022, 08:22 PM
Look at theory of operation section of manual and you should be able to see what's wrong.

emujo2
01-26-2022, 08:26 PM
if you've replaced the bypass tray and still have the same issue, then you either have a PCRB issue or you are trying to use the bypass tray incorrectly. Most motors and sensors can be checked in service mode, and there are a couple of adjustments that need to be done as well. As posted earlier, what is the code given when you try to use the bypass tray?

srvctec
01-26-2022, 10:57 PM
Hi guys,

got a Konica Minolta c458 that jams on the bypass tray. Anytime we try to print/copy anything from there the up/down mechanism doesn’t seem to work properly. We have replaced the full bypass tray and still has same issue,

Does anyone have any suggestions.

machine is on the latest firmware.

You left out a LOT of pertinent info. Copy counts would be a great start, particularly from the bypass tray. What is the code? <<THAT'S probably the most important of all!!

I have a customer that has a C558 that had a C0211 code with similar symptoms and it turned out to be the feed drive assy, part # A79JR70222 (C458 has same assy). They run a ton of card stock from the bypass and I'm guessing that's what caused it to fail at around 560K. Oh and BTW, the service manual is completely wrong on the issue. I just figured it out myself.

emujo2
01-27-2022, 06:30 PM
[ Oh and BTW, the service manual is completely wrong on the issue. I just figured it out myself.[/QUOTE]

The SM's are not usually wrong, but they are based on non real world situations..They assume the sensors always work, motors always turn, all dust/paper/paperclips have been removed, you idin't get a bad board the 1st time ect.. so swap the component or PWB..SSD is another story..

srvctec
01-27-2022, 09:44 PM
The SM's are not usually wrong, but they are based on non real world situations..They assume the sensors always work, motors always turn, all dust/paper/paperclips have been removed, you idin't get a bad board the 1st time ect.. so swap the component or PWB..SSD is another story..

Well, the service manual doesn't even mention the feed drive assy as being a possibility for the issue. My guess is they wrote the book based off the smaller segment machines because it all is the same, except the smaller machines don't have the feed drive assy- completely different design.

I figured it out by turning the bypass drive gear and it just spun freely instead of having resistance from the motor. The motor was fine but a couple bushings and the shaft completely wore out, causing the issue. In addition to this, the one way clutch on one of the gears froze solid.

Kenny
01-28-2022, 08:43 AM
Hello guys,

sorry to the little information I posted,

I went to the customers yesterday and the machine is experiencing C-0211 error from the bypass tray and when it doesn’t error it comes up with 1002 jam. The paper doesn’t feed at all in the bypass.

the machine has about 300k on, I replaced the stepping motor on the drive assy but not worked.

the black spindle that moves the bypass tray up/down doesn’t seem to function correctly as when I start a print it lifts up, jams then comes up with error when the plate doesn’t move back down.

srvctec
01-28-2022, 03:35 PM
Hello guys,

sorry to the little information I posted,

I went to the customers yesterday and the machine is experiencing C-0211 error from the bypass tray and when it doesn’t error it comes up with 1002 jam. The paper doesn’t feed at all in the bypass.

the machine has about 300k on, I replaced the stepping motor on the drive assy but not worked.

the black spindle that moves the bypass tray up/down doesn’t seem to function correctly as when I start a print it lifts up, jams then comes up with error when the plate doesn’t move back down.

Then, this is most likely your problem since the machine I fixed had the exact same symptoms.

I have a customer that has a C558 that had a C0211 code with similar symptoms and it turned out to be the feed drive assy, part # A79JR70222 (C458 has same assy). They run a ton of card stock from the bypass and I'm guessing that's what caused it to fail at around 560K. Oh and BTW, the service manual is completely wrong on the issue. I just figured it out myself.

If you don't want to spring for the whole paper feed assy, the parts I used to repair the one that failed (so we would have a spare replacement unit available) are:

A79J223101
A79J226200
A79J226301

Kenny
02-11-2022, 10:23 AM
You left out a LOT of pertinent info. Copy counts would be a great start, particularly from the bypass tray. What is the code? <<THAT'S probably the most important of all!!

LEGEND!! Replaced the drive assy and the machine is working fine, thanks for your all your input guys!

srvctec
02-11-2022, 03:59 PM
LEGEND!! Replaced the drive assy and the machine is working fine, thanks for your all your input guys!

Glad I could help and you got it fixed!

Don N.
11-20-2023, 04:32 PM
Then, this is most likely your problem since the machine I fixed had the exact same symptoms.

If you don't want to spring for the whole paper feed assy, the parts I used to repair the one that failed (so we would have a spare replacement unit available) are:

A79J223101
A79J226200
A79J226301

Thanks srvctec!

We saw a KM bulletin that says the C458 uses some black coating on that shaft that gets rubbed off & gunks up the 1-way bearing(s) in these gears. Will affect tray2 and/or the bypass, depending on which gear/bearing fails. We've fixed a few and pre-empted a few by removing the coating prior to failure. Seen no black coating on C558 shafts. They have also failed on units without the coating.

There's also a bulletin #10990 about a drive belt falling into the gap between gear 28T A79J220701 and the drive pack frame. It has been changed in production, affecting some 45/55/65 models.

Custom Search