PDA

View Full Version : CQ KM Imaging Unit Issues

Custom Search

CoreyAbels
02-07-2022, 05:24 PM
Guys, I am hoping you can enlighten me on an issue I am seeing. I am new to the Konica Minolta product line, but not new to the industry and I am seeing a lot of issues with the Imagine Units on the Konica Minolta machines in general, and with the C3350i/C4050i machines in particular. Simply put the Imagine Units don't last. Can someone more experienced with these units give me some theories or explanations as to why that is? I've seen a number of Y IU seemingly starved of toner, I've seen low page count machines have issues with the charge rollers and overall the print quality of the IU degrades very quickly. Thanks guys!

Note: I am more than happy to provide additional details if needed, but this is more of a general, "in your experience" question. Also, I am familiar with a number of issues caused by high altitude/low humidity in the Denver Metro area, so if there are any tips or tricks, I'd love to hear them.

tech51
02-07-2022, 06:09 PM
The developer stagnates in the image unit which causes the machine to think it’s undertoned and so keeps adding toner until it either runs out of toner or codes up c255X where x is the relevant colour.

The latest firmware allows you to stir the image units more vigorously ( run stab/grad with the tray out) but they still fail with depressing regularity.

One other tip is to give the units a good shake before you fit them.

But they are in general not a good unit.

Albonline
02-07-2022, 06:28 PM
running the image quality adjustments at setup and when replacing any unit seems to help extend iu life. at least do gradation adjustment as outlined in service manual.

tsbservice
02-07-2022, 08:03 PM
running the image quality adjustments at setup and when replacing any unit seems to help extend iu life. at least do gradation adjustment as outlined in service manual.

Yeah the newer they are more waywards they have got (read flimsy, cheap, unreliable).

copier tech
02-07-2022, 08:06 PM
Guys, I am hoping you can enlighten me on an issue I am seeing. I am new to the Konica Minolta product line, but not new to the industry and I am seeing a lot of issues with the Imagine Units on the Konica Minolta machines in general, and with the C3350i/C4050i machines in particular. Simply put the Imagine Units don't last. Can someone more experienced with these units give me some theories or explanations as to why that is? I've seen a number of Y IU seemingly starved of toner, I've seen low page count machines have issues with the charge rollers and overall the print quality of the IU degrades very quickly. Thanks guys!

Note: I am more than happy to provide additional details if needed, but this is more of a general, "in your experience" question. Also, I am familiar with a number of issues caused by high altitude/low humidity in the Denver Metro area, so if there are any tips or tricks, I'd love to hear them.

Assuming you are using genuine KM toner as it contains a small amount of developer to 'top up' the DV units.

There are a few bulletins on this issue, keeping the firmware up to date seems to be important.

Max
02-07-2022, 09:10 PM
As mentioned above. At setup stage take all IU out and shake from side to side, knock ever so slightly the dev tank and turn the mag roller by hand a few times by the coupling at the back. Will help. I got one failed today at low use customer, 3.5 k in 4 months.
£160 down. What a rip off.

tech51
02-07-2022, 09:41 PM
As mentioned above. At setup stage take all IU out and shake from side to side, knock ever so slightly the dev tank and turn the mag roller by hand a few times by the coupling at the back. Will help. I got one failed today at low use customer, 3.5 k in 4 months.
£160 down. What a rip off.

The lower the volume the worst it gets as the colour image units don’t get turned over as much as the black.

Poor design on what is essentially a low volume machine…..

CoreyAbels
02-08-2022, 12:19 AM
Much appreciated gentleman! We deployed a couple dozen C3350i/C4050i/C3300 MFPs and printers about 12 months ago, across a couple states and they seem to have nothing but issues with the IU assemblies and squeaking exit assemblies. I appreciate the feedback 🙂

kingarthur
02-08-2022, 08:26 AM
we've had to replace loads, have warranty claimed about 80% of them, KM have credited us without quibbling,

EarthKmTech
09-07-2022, 09:45 AM
You can save about 80% of them by driving the developer coupling with your battery screwdriver - in the normal counter clockwise direction - with the drum facing DOWN for about 10 seconds.

This forces the 2 distinct layers of toner and developer(at the bottom, as its heavier) to mix again.

If you leave it too long, the developer will be worn out due to frictional damage against itself without the lubricating properties of the toner and will not mix and stay suspended in the toner no matter what you do.

Key is prevention, prevention, prevention, and get the people doing initial unboxing to actually follow the instructions on the leeflet in the box. Remove ALL ius and shake in the longitudinal direction of course ensuring the shutter is closed unless you feel like having a shower.

You can make your own coupling tool from a scrap machine, C3350, C3351 or C3350i series, they all fit. Heat the hex bit on the stove, jam it in the middle, drop the whole thing in water.

After forced agitation, reinstall and with the latest firmware - run reset and stabilize with drawers open to get the 2 high speed mixing sessions. If TCR does not improve, replace IU

suomi
09-07-2022, 01:40 PM
The paddle part of the spiral beat screw shaft is not wide enough to remove the remaining developer at the paddle parts right above the TCR sensor

The comb type paddle will be changed to one sheet type paddle.

jwai
09-07-2022, 05:21 PM
The paddle part of the spiral beat screw shaft is not wide enough to remove the remaining developer at the paddle parts right above the TCR sensor

The comb type paddle will be changed to one sheet type paddle.

yep, i heard also about this improvement, manufacturer will release a new part number of IU.

Markks
09-08-2022, 03:40 AM
there is also a know issue about contamination on the bias contacts on the hv board. It is recommended on machines that developer units keep failing to pull hv board and cleaning the contacts on hv board with scotch brite ,

EarthKmTech
09-08-2022, 02:17 PM
on the HV subject, keep the back wall clean too, including the contacts.

The HV wires run in a plastic distributor behind the back wall and have several rectangular cut outs with the wire running visibly through the middle of them. Ensure these are also kept clean. Any conductive swarf can find its way up here and short the hv straight to ground. Have seen this on numerous occasions no one else could figure out.

A long thin straw on the service vacuum cleans these nicely.

in continuing on from my first post about correctly mixing the developer in the ius. I’ve had 0 failure rate on machines done to date. When done preventatively as a standard call process, you will be alarmed to find at least 3/4 of machines, even those stating tcr levels in the 6 - 7% range are in fact already overtoned. Its not unusual to see 10-14% once my procedure is done. You need to bring the level under 10% or errors will occur. This can be very time consuming, but is always possible.

New IU design wont start becoming available till next year last i heard. Time will tell if it makes a difference. Hopefully it does, I look after tons of these and my biggest issue these days is the flopping down AdF roller assembly dur to the slipping reverse lockup clutch. I have a zero dollar 100% fix solution for this.

tsbservice
09-08-2022, 06:57 PM
on the HV subject, keep the back wall clean too, including the contacts.

The HV wires run in a plastic distributor behind the back wall and have several rectangular cut outs with the wire running visibly through the middle of them. Ensure these are also kept clean. Any conductive swarf can find its way up here and short the hv straight to ground. Have seen this on numerous occasions no one else could figure out.

A long thin straw on the service vacuum cleans these nicely.

in continuing on from my first post about correctly mixing the developer in the ius. I’ve had 0 failure rate on machines done to date. When done preventatively as a standard call process, you will be alarmed to find at least 3/4 of machines, even those stating tcr levels in the 6 - 7% range are in fact already overtoned. Its not unusual to see 10-14% once my procedure is done. You need to bring the level under 10% or errors will occur. This can be very time consuming, but is always possible.

New IU design wont start becoming available till next year last i heard. Time will tell if it makes a difference. Hopefully it does, I look after tons of these and my biggest issue these days is the flopping down AdF roller assembly dur to the slipping reverse lockup clutch. I have a zero dollar 100% fix solution for this.

Your wisdom is always welcome Sir. Your sense of humour also.
I'm glad one of greatest techs I ever heard of is back. A lot of time before we had in other forums guy maybe matching your level of expertise his user name was 'Toshiba guru' and 'KM guru' seems fair enough to me for what I learnt from your posts.

emujo2
09-08-2022, 09:25 PM
Not to take anything away from Earth, but my fav was "The Owl..

tsbservice
09-08-2022, 10:20 PM
Can be, agree on the Owl being tremendously missed... when you get at certain level (low is mine) you can actually sense that presence of greatness.

Custom Search