PDA

View Full Version : C-452, dropping/pulling developer...

Custom Search

Oystercopy
02-10-2022, 11:10 PM
Hey guys,

So, I don't work on this model very often, but the machine is doing that very specific (like I've seen on the C-451s) where the black drum unit loses developer. The reason for this, as I recall, is that it needs that retaining clip on the front of the Drum units (like the newer C-659 have) that LOCKS the unit into place so it cannot walk away from the rear frame and lose voltages.

Does anyone concur? Is there some kind of mod that I can install to prevent this, once I replace the Black Drum unit?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
OC

Synthohol
02-10-2022, 11:27 PM
i thought it was related to the HV when it dumps?
it was so long ago i apologize in advance if im thinking of another series.

srvctec
02-11-2022, 04:09 PM
It's a totally different design than the C451 and there is no place to put a bracket to hold it in. The C452 black unit is held in with a shoulder screw.

Oystercopy
02-11-2022, 06:34 PM
It's a totally different design than the C451 and there is no place to put a bracket to hold it in. The C452 black unit is held in with a shoulder screw.

Thanks for that, but the unit pulled right out when I undid the lever that held it in, so there was no shoulder screw.

This is why I suspected that there needed to be a bracket to hold it in. I made a bracket once for a C-451 and it was the only thing that solved the developer/copy quality issues.

OC

srvctec
02-11-2022, 08:00 PM
Thanks for that, but the unit pulled right out when I undid the lever that held it in, so there was no shoulder screw.

This is why I suspected that there needed to be a bracket to hold it in. I made a bracket once for a C-451 and it was the only thing that solved the developer/copy quality issues.

OC

Are you positive this is a C452? There is no lever holding in the black unit (drum and development unit come out together on a ball bearing slide). Unless you're not even talking about the black as mentioned in your first post?

This is from a C452 in our junk pile.

https://i.imgur.com/7g6AYbF.jpg

femaster
02-11-2022, 08:55 PM
As SRVCTEC stated, no lever/arm on the C452 model for the black. The development unit and drum are separate parts as well, not an all-in-one unit like the C451/C550. The drum clamps to the dev unit and there is a shoulder screw semi-permanently attached to the top of the drum that holds the whole assembly in place.

Oystercopy
02-12-2022, 02:26 AM
As SRVCTEC stated, no lever/arm on the C452 model for the black. The development unit and drum are separate parts as well, not an all-in-one unit like the C451/C550. The drum clamps to the dev unit and there is a shoulder screw semi-permanently attached to the top of the drum that holds the whole assembly in place.

OK, well that makes sense! I guess it could be possible that I just overlooked it, OR, the screw was never even screwed into the frame! ?

As it is though, if the unit was already dropping/pulling out developer, I probably should replace it anyway, I'm thinking?

Thanks for the responses guys!
OC

femaster
02-12-2022, 08:06 PM
OK, well that makes sense! I guess it could be possible that I just overlooked it, OR, the screw was never even screwed into the frame! ?

As it is though, if the unit was already dropping/pulling out developer, I probably should replace it anyway, I'm thinking?

Thanks for the responses guys!
OC

Personally, it would depend upon how much was pulled/dropped. If it wasn't a whole lot, and after cleaning up the mess and correctly the issue with the unit staying in properly, the copy quality isn't suffering, I'd just stick with it. The dev unit and/or drum may not reach it's expected life because of what happened, but if it works after cleaning/fixing the issue, no point in wasting a ton of cash replacing it. Even with a shortened life span, it may still last a long time in it's current condition.

My only other thought if you leave it as is would be to check in on it again after a few days to a week just to make sure that it doesn't continue to pull. Just my opinion anyway.

Custom Search