PDA

View Full Version : Bizhub C284e light on one side BLACK ONLY see attached please help

Custom Search

TEKK09
02-23-2022, 02:21 PM
Had to fix a gray streak on the front side, so I disassembled and cleaned the black drum unit. Put it back together and cleared up the streak, but now it's light on front side where it hadn't been before. Took it apart again but found nothing. I installed a used drum (drum only) and still light on one side. I installed a used charger and no change either.
Solid color copies are normal (not light on one side).
Service mode shows a P-5 IDC sensor front, and a P-9 Drum/Dev unit K. Did not have time to check into either.
My question is, is there anything I can do until I get the new drum in?

blackcat4866
02-23-2022, 02:51 PM
Some of the other guys that have rebuilt these units can be of more assistance than I. There are slotted adjustments for the positioning of the primary charge and the developing unit ... both of with will affect your lightness/darkness.

I disassembled to clean one of these units, only to discover that I made the quality a LOT worse, like yours. Only accidentally did I get the quality back. =^..^=

TEKK09
02-23-2022, 03:06 PM
Some of the other guys that have rebuilt these units can be of more assistance than I. There are slotted adjustments for the positioning of the primary charge and the developing unit ... both of with will affect your lightness/darkness.

I disassembled to clean one of these units, only to discover that I made the quality a LOT worse, like yours. Only accidentally did I get the quality back. =^..^=

Well I have taken them apart to clean before several times and copies were really good afterwards. Not this time tho. I don't recall seeing any adjustment for the charger. And I don't really think the DV unit has gotten out of position. I did take it out to confirm even mag roller from side to side.
But thanks for the comment. I appreciate it.
I hope some others come in here and have their say.

tsbservice
02-23-2022, 09:28 PM
Probably drum to dev space is too wide front side. Check front side plastic spacer. Maybe you moved it.

copier addict
02-24-2022, 12:04 AM
It doesn't say whether you cleaned the printhead. Maybe try that if you haven't already

copyman
02-24-2022, 01:55 AM
I couldn't open attachments so just throwing some things out there....

Did you check developer to make sure there is even coating on mag roller. It may have dumped developer and you are low on developer?

I've rebuilt many of these drum units and was only replacing the drum and blade but after having quality issues like you have I also use new sawtooth charger & grid (all aftermarket parts). Might have to bite the bullet and rebuild K drum unit with new parts & chip.

femaster
02-24-2022, 03:45 AM
I disassembled and cleaned the black drum unit. Put it back together and cleared up the streak, but now it's light on front side where it hadn't been before. Took it apart again but found nothing. I installed a used drum (drum only) and still light on one side. I installed a used charger and no change either.

So, when you say that you "installed a used drum", do you mean a completely different, whole drum assembly, or just physically changed out the drum in your current assembly, trying a different used drum in it?

If you didn't swap out the entire drum assembly for a different, used one, most likely what happened is you removed (or loosened) 2 screws you shouldn't have and moved the plastic piece that controls the gap between the drum and the development unit. Below is a picture that I just happen to have handy. While the text in it isn't relevant to your situation, the pieces that are circled are. On some of the 4- and 4e-series drums, this plastic piece is held in place by 2 screws that are under the blue plastic handle. If you loosened those screws, this piece can slide back and forth changing the gap on the front side of the drum. This is where I would start in you situation. Most likely this piece is too far out creating too large of a gap. Move it inwards just a tiny bit at a time and test. If you get it in too far, the gap won't be large enough, and it will suck your development unit dry...

Good Luck, patients will be required for this task.

TEKK09
02-24-2022, 10:47 AM
So, when you say that you "installed a used drum", do you mean a completely different, whole drum assembly, or just physically changed out the drum in your current assembly, trying a different used drum in it?

If you didn't swap out the entire drum assembly for a different, used one, most likely what happened is you removed (or loosened) 2 screws you shouldn't have and moved the plastic piece that controls the gap between the drum and the development unit. Below is a picture that I just happen to have handy. While the text in it isn't relevant to your situation, the pieces that are circled are. On some of the 4- and 4e-series drums, this plastic piece is held in place by 2 screws that are under the blue plastic handle. If you loosened those screws, this piece can slide back and forth changing the gap on the front side of the drum. This is where I would start in you situation. Most likely this piece is too far out creating too large of a gap. Move it inwards just a tiny bit at a time and test. If you get it in too far, the gap won't be large enough, and it will suck your development unit dry...

I think you nailed it! Won't know until I get back out there. I DID loosen that piece not paying enough attention, where I hadn't in the past when I cleaned the unit. Did not realize it was critical. Thank you very much! Will let you know.

Hansoon
02-24-2022, 03:08 PM
I couldn't open attachments so just throwing some things out there....

Did you check developer to make sure there is even coating on mag roller. It may have dumped developer and you are low on developer?

I've rebuilt many of these drum units and was only replacing the drum and blade but after having quality issues like you have I also use new sawtooth charger & grid (all aftermarket parts). Might have to bite the bullet and rebuild K drum unit with new parts & chip.

+1

Hans

TEKK09
03-03-2022, 03:07 PM

THAT WAS IT!
I took a close look at the part that's attached to the inner end piece with 2 screws. I saw where the screws had been from the pattern they made, put them back there, and FIXED.
I'll drop that 30pack off next trip. Thanks a bunch!
Now if I can just get rid of that pesky message about the transfer unit and filter needing replaced.
thanks again

srvctec
03-03-2022, 04:26 PM
Now if I can just get rid of that pesky message about the transfer unit and filter needing replaced.
thanks again

Well, the best way would be to replace the parts needing replaced. If you're not willing or able to do that, you can turn off the consumables reminder in service mode and turn off the life display warnings as well.

TEKK09
03-07-2022, 10:54 PM
Well, the best way would be to replace the parts needing replaced. If you're not willing or able to do that, you can turn off the consumables reminder in service mode and turn off the life display warnings as well.

I have turned off reminders but could not find this particular one.
Do those parts have chips on them, or a way of resetting the counter?
I guess the obvious answer is yes.
Might be the first time i've seen a transfer unit with a chip.
I'll look into replacing them, althought they would probably last a good while longer.

srvctec
03-07-2022, 10:58 PM
I have turned off reminders but could not find this particular one.
Do those parts have chips on them, or a way of resetting the counter?
I guess the obvious answer is yes.
Might be the first time i've seen a transfer unit with a chip.
I'll look into replacing them, althought they would probably last a good while longer.

No, there are no chips in the belts for these machines. You reset the counter in service mode but ONLY if you replace the part (you can just take out the filter and vacuum or blow it out and reinstall), especially for the belt because the voltages required to produce the best copies/prints get reset when you reset the counter. If you reset the counter without replacing the belt, you'll probably get copy/print quality problems.

TEKK09
03-09-2022, 05:32 PM
No, there are no chips in the belts for these machines. You reset the counter in service mode but ONLY if you replace the part (you can just take out the filter and vacuum or blow it out and reinstall), especially for the belt because the voltages required to produce the best copies/prints get reset when you reset the counter. If you reset the counter without replacing the belt, you'll probably get copy/print quality problems.

Alrighty.. appreciate ya stoppin by. If I have questions in the future, I'll try and find this thread and ask it here and hopefully you'll get notified. Might just need your help again. May not be all that far off either (might be tomorrow!). Thanks.

Custom Search