PDA

View Full Version : Electrical C458 Power Supply

Custom Search

tmmdmmm
03-03-2022, 02:02 AM
Received a call for a C458 not booting. No fans, no lights, completely dead. Metered outlet and power tamer, good voltage and ground out of both.
Ordered a Power Supply from Konica, a Hytec board was shipped out. Swap it out and completely rebuilt the machine (FFS, I've never actually had an issue doing this until now, big mistake). Powers up and gets into the copy screen. Close the front door and it immediately powers down as fast as it would if you unplugged the power. Able to do hard reboots and the same thing happens, boots up but as soon as all doors are closed it powers down.
Figured it was a bad refurb board. Got a replacement from one of our working machines and threw it in, this time with just the Doc feeder plugged in and enabled. Boots up and stays. Add the finisher on, issue returns. Unplug finisher, issue stays.

Inspected the wire harness for the finisher and everything seems good. Didn't have time to trace leads. I'm a little thrown off, only a few years but every time I've seen a issue with the power supply it's completely dead.
Could the Finisher have only partially killed the two replacement power supplies? Could it have been a fluke that the 2nd replacement worked prior to plugging the finisher in?

Curious to hear your thoughts before I head back out there tomorrow.

blackcat4866
03-03-2022, 02:08 AM
You might try replacing the page memory. I've had similar symptoms. =^..^=

tmmdmmm
03-03-2022, 02:36 AM
You might try replacing the page memory. I've had similar symptoms. =^..^=

Thanks! But mind clarifying?
Did a quick search for Page Memory in the service manual and parts catalog with nothing, and I believe everything above a 368 doesn't have the DIMM memory either

tsbservice
03-03-2022, 07:07 AM
With first refurb board what will happen if you don't plug finisher at all? Will it powers down/restart when you close front door or will it stay?

Gift
03-03-2022, 09:26 AM
Am I getting this right? The machine was at first OK after board replacement but issues came back + remained when installating/uninstalling the finisher again?

It's probably possible that consequential damage happens again with different symptomes. If you try another 10 power cycles it's also possible that you and up with the initial problem^^

For the next attempt I'd probably swap the finisher & bridge unit, too. You can also try and inspect the faulty board - sometimes you can find fried SMD fuses and/or 0 ohm resistors.
There's also a rest-risk that it might have been a coincidence that the prob came back after finisher re-install, kind of the tart of a neverending story then. All in all these kind of calls can become relly ungrateful, we've all been there.

blackcat4866
03-03-2022, 03:39 PM
Thanks! But mind clarifying?
Did a quick search for Page Memory in the service manual and parts catalog with nothing, and I believe everything above a 368 doesn't have the DIMM memory either

I can tell you that it's 4GB. I can tell you that it's item #8, called Memory Board MEMB. I can tell you that it's located here:

And ... i don't see anything in the parts manual. This is the call I remember:

bizhub 654e, 754e Black display. No image or backlight. Memory Module failure. Memory damaged by dirty power. G-N: 3.6vac, H-N: 8vac sags. Replace MEMB/1 (V865300066). Now other error conditions can be addressed.

=^..^=

tsbservice
03-03-2022, 04:24 PM
I can tell you that it's 4GB. I can tell you that it's item #8, called Memory Board MEMB. I can tell you that it's located here:

And ... i don't see anything in the parts manual. This is the call I remember:

bizhub 654e, 754e Black display. No image or backlight. Memory Module failure. Memory damaged by dirty power. G-N: 3.6vac, H-N: 8vac sags. Replace MEMB/1 (V865300066). Now other error conditions can be addressed.

=^..^=
I think there is no MEMB on C458... may be wrong though.

P.S
Just to add some thoughts. C458 and up versions have 4GB RAM which I believe is onboard RAM soldered to MFPB directly.
Lower speed models up to C368 incl. have 2GB onboard RAM AND option to add another 2GB RAM as external DIMM (UK-211) MEMB as they reffered in documentation.

tmmdmmm
03-08-2022, 12:57 AM
Just a follow-up.

Got there again with a third replacement PSU (4th PSU if you consider the initial dead one for the call), replaced it without the LCT or Finisher and the same thing was occurring. Moment the doors close power gets cut. It happened to be timed with the CIS exposure lamp, so reseated all the connectors and DSIPB and issue seems resolved. Only time will tell but it appears that one time it powered on without the finisher using the second PSU was a complete fluke.

Not sure if the exposure lamp somehow killed the initial power supply or if both issues coincidentally happened at the same time, but everything seems fine now

Gift
03-08-2022, 07:14 AM
Just a follow-up.

Got there again with a third replacement PSU (4th PSU if you consider the initial dead one for the call), replaced it without the LCT or Finisher and the same thing was occurring. Moment the doors close power gets cut. It happened to be timed with the CIS exposure lamp, so reseated all the connectors and DSIPB and issue seems resolved. Only time will tell but it appears that one time it powered on without the finisher using the second PSU was a complete fluke.

Not sure if the exposure lamp somehow killed the initial power supply or if both issues coincidentally happened at the same time, but everything seems fine now

I find it somewhat "hardcore" if loosened connectors/DSIPB can fry your PSU and cross my fingers it's not nothing else still slumbering inside that C458. :D

blackcat4866
03-08-2022, 02:59 PM
I think there is no MEMB on C458... may be wrong though.

P.S
Just to add some thoughts. C458 and up versions have 4GB RAM which I believe is onboard RAM soldered to MFPB directly.
Lower speed models up to C368 incl. have 2GB onboard RAM AND option to add another 2GB RAM as external DIMM (UK-211) MEMB as they reffered in documentation.

Thanks tsb.

blackcat4866
03-08-2022, 03:01 PM
Just a follow-up.

Congratulations on finding that. You may find that the other switching power supplies that you have removed have "healed" since removing them. It's not uncommon for those PS to "recover". =^..^=

Custom Search