PDA

View Full Version : Skipping FW

Custom Search

tmmdmmm
03-15-2022, 05:27 AM
Every couple years I update my Konica certifications, and they always give the "I'm wearing a Konica shirt right now, so I need to tell you that if you're updating FW you need to flash every single FW individually until you're up to date. Realistically you can skip one and be fine but two is pushing it"
Got reminded of that today when flashing a C300i from G00-75 (2019) to G00-KJ (Most recent). Skipped 8 versions.

Has anyone actually run into any issues by skipping FW? I never have, and was joking with a colleague that now I will.

tsbservice
03-15-2022, 07:12 AM
I don't think so.. I skip them of course. Would love to see Konica Minolta document where this is written.
Maybe in case of upgrading from some special version to another but in general I haven't had problems... till now :)

Gift
03-15-2022, 08:02 AM
I think FW updates means always a tiny risk but we haven't really had any updated due to skipping versions, at least none that I'm aware of (with recent MFP generations).

Drivee
03-15-2022, 10:27 AM
Firmware is never update, it is always new software on machine. It mean, software will delete old version and it will add a new one. So, skipping firmware's is OK.
They will use old version and they will make changes. Just look size of FW. It is compilate new FW.

blackcat4866
03-15-2022, 03:41 PM
There have been a couple of situations when it's critical to hit a certain level of firmware ... but it's rare.

The bizhub C3110 firmware went through a version (v5) in which the MAIN firmware split into two files: MAIN & SUB. If you didn't do that specific level it would crash the machine. There was a bulletin explaining the exact procedure.

Otherwise, just making sure that the machine is at the correct hex sw 25 level for your particular level of firmware is the most important. =^..^=

tmmdmmm
03-15-2022, 04:35 PM
Otherwise, just making sure that the machine is at the correct hex sw 25 level for your particular level of firmware is the most important. =^..^=

Yeah, all I ever do is flash and make sure function version is set. I just find it odd that konica teachers are so adamant you need to sit there and flash every single base FW released individually in order until you're up to date.
I've never heard of an issue occurring when skipping to the latest and greatest

tech51
03-15-2022, 08:15 PM
In the dark old days of the c350 BZ600 etc this was true but nowadays you can jump to the latest version with no issues.

The only thing you have to be careful of is that sometimes if a specific firmware has been installed for a special function or bug fix, that function may not carry through to the latest version but this doesn’t seem to happen so much nowadays.

Woxner
03-15-2022, 10:04 PM
I ran into a problem friday. C360i was at v45. Tried to go 7b and did not work. I had to do a couple of versions at at time. Changing function and movie data. Finnally got to kj and all is well. There are times you can skip to top level but i series seems picky. There are notes on doing firmware by steps.

Custom Search