PDA

View Full Version : Scanner on a C450i producing a large blue distortion on scan.

Custom Search

C-Dawn
03-15-2022, 10:47 AM
I have a C450i recently delivered to a customer that's a used machine (below 30k prints).

The day after i got word that they had an issue while using the scanner on the machine which in turn produces a blueish and slightly distorted section on the scan. This however does not affect the adf.

It seems the closer the paper is placed to the CCD unit the worse it gets.

I'm going to add an attachment with a scanned pdf that shows the result.

As far as i can tell there is no dust on the reflectors and they move back and forth as they should.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Would greatly appreciate any input on this.

Gift
03-15-2022, 11:13 AM
Seems like "something" happened to that machine during transport I guess - check if the frame looks ok and all mirrors sits 100% propely. A slight misangle might be not visible if the scanner wagon is on the left (=DF mode) but increases while moving to the right because the optical path gets a longer distance.

C-Dawn
03-15-2022, 11:34 AM
Seems like "something" happened to that machine during transport I guess - check if the frame looks ok and all mirrors sits 100% propely. A slight misangle might be not visible if the scanner wagon is on the left (=DF mode) but increases while moving to the right because the optical path gets a longer distance.

Thanks. I'll check and see if can see if anything is warped or out of position.

tsbservice
03-15-2022, 03:13 PM
Look s like bend scanner bed or mirror out of place.

blackcat4866
03-15-2022, 03:32 PM
It's definitely a focus issue. You know those red painted screws that you're never supposed to touch? That's what you'll need to adjust. Use a ledger or A3 sized original image on the scanner to test with (the further you get down the optical path, the worse the focus will be).

So you want to tip the CCD left/right to improve the focus. I'll start with 1/4 turns of the adjuster screw that you choose to see how it's affecting the image. BE SURE TO COUNT ROTATIONS (I also write them down since there are several adjusters and it's easy to forget what you did). When you start to get close to good focus use 1/8 turns or less. It's a trial and error process, so you can expect the focus to get worse before it gets better.

You'll probably need to do the stabilization and gradation after you get a good scanner focus.

Do I have a picture of a Konica Minolta CCD? This one is from a bizhub 423:

This screw:

=^..^=

C-Dawn
03-17-2022, 09:20 AM
It's definitely a focus issue. You know those red painted screws that you're never supposed to touch? That's what you'll need to adjust. Use a ledger or A3 sized original image on the scanner to test with (the further you get down the optical path, the worse the focus will be).

So you want to tip the CCD left/right to improve the focus. I'll start with 1/4 turns of the adjuster screw that you choose to see how it's affecting the image. BE SURE TO COUNT ROTATIONS (I also write them down since there are several adjusters and it's easy to forget what you did). When you start to get close to good focus use 1/8 turns or less. It's a trial and error process, so you can expect the focus to get worse before it gets better.

You'll probably need to do the stabilization and gradation after you get a good scanner focus.

Do I have a picture of a Konica Minolta CCD? This one is from a bizhub 423:

This screw:

=^..^=

This looks like something that's worth giving a shot. Thank you very much for the info.

Brett GS
03-18-2022, 08:45 PM
That looks like mirror 3 that needs adjustment.
8 range has same problem, normally caused during transport.
If you can then check out the bulletin "abnormal image" for the 8 range.
Adjustment is done with a hex/allen key.

C-Dawn
03-28-2022, 01:27 PM
Hello everyone. I thought i would give an update on the issue that i had with the scanner section of an C450i.

I got a tip from blackcat4866 (https://www.copytechnet.com/forums/members/blackcat4866.html) that said to adjust a screw in front of the CCD in order to correct the scan.

That tip turned out to be 100% on the spot. After adjusting the screw all of the blue distortion went away.

Afterwards I saw that when using the ADF it created a black line on the right side of the sheet. Propobly because of the adjustment. I ran automatic adjustment in service mode and that cleared that right up.

I'll post a picture of how much of an adjustment i had to make in order for the problem to go away;

I would like to thank those that gave me tips on what to do in order to fix this and especially to @blackcat4866 (https://www.copytechnet.com/forums/members/blackcat4866.html) for providing the winning solution.

Thank you all.

blackcat4866
03-28-2022, 02:06 PM
Congratulations on your success! =^..^=

Gift
03-28-2022, 02:07 PM
Thanks for giving us a feedback !!

Custom Search