PDA

View Full Version : C3320i C3350i C3300i etc Magenta Imaging Unit Hell.!

Custom Search

ezzysi
04-07-2022, 12:57 PM
Not a huge fan of these boxes TBH (or many other KM A4's for that matter)

Of the 2 dozen or so Sparrow's we've put out, at least a third have had to have a replacement Magenta Image unit due to the overtoning issue these seem to suffer, no other colour, just Magenta.

We followed all the guidance on shaking the units at PDI and did the firmware updates as and when they came out so the machines are all doing a high speed churn of the dev but still they fail.

Has anyone had any joy with recovering an overtoned unit ? Really hurts throwing £150 image units in the bin that have done 2-3k (And they always fail when machines out of warranty!)

occus
04-07-2022, 01:43 PM
I had 1x 3320i with magenta overtoning September 2021. The customer calls me because the error code pops up.
I printed full magenta pattern to reduce the value to 7% and after i do the high speed agitation twice.
I was very skeptical but on last visit last week the tcr values are perfect around 6.2-7%.

About 2'000 color prints between.

Max
04-07-2022, 05:19 PM
I put an electric drill on to the dev drive coupling and turn the IU upside down a few times,shake it from side to side. Back in to the copier and run full page test pages unti I get 6.5 % seam to work. But yes, dreadful things.

Synthohol
04-07-2022, 06:04 PM
Consumables have a warranty regardless of machine age IIRC.
mgt list and a sample of the issue is usually all that's needed.

There was a bulletin about not even having to return some consumables back to Konica, just the mgt list is all that is needed.
Don't remember if these boxes were on that list.
Worth looking into.

femaster
04-08-2022, 05:32 AM
Consumables have a warranty regardless of machine age IIRC.
mgt list and a sample of the issue is usually all that's needed.

There was a bulletin about not even having to return some consumables back to Konica, just the mgt list is all that is needed.
Don't remember if these boxes were on that list.
Worth looking into.

Last I remember, for those smaller machines, consumable parts come with a 90-day warranty. Originals are 90 days from machine install date and replacements are 90 days from the day you install it into the machine (I may be wrong on this last point). The smaller machines do not have the standard YPP warranty that is offered on the larger machines.

As for not having to return parts, you are correct. I've never seen the bulletin on it, but through the warranty claims I've done, the need to return a part seems to depend on what the part is and what the claimed problem was with the part. Here is my experience with this:

- Fusers always need to be returned, issue doesn't matter - (100% return rate)
- Drums most times do not, it seems to depend on the problem selected - (10% to 20% return rate)
- Transfer belts most times do not, also seems to be problem related - (15% to 25% return rate)
- Development units never do - (0% return rate)
- Image units almost always do - (85% to 90% return rate)

Again, those are my experiences with warranty claims and may not be the same for everyone. A tell-tale sign that you probably won't have to ship the part back is if, when you hit the "calculate" button after filling in the claims form, look closely at the form again and see if there is a new area on the form where you can upload (attach) a scan of the management list. If that shows up, make use of it as you will most likely not need to send the part in if you include that scanned copy.

The official decision about returning the part or not will arrive in an email, so make sure they have your correct email address. A warranty claim process usually involves 3 to 4 emails. You get the initial email acknowledging that you filed a claim. That email is fairly generic and will tell you to ship the part back to their processing center in Florida (for US claims obviously). Don't ship it just yet. You should get a second email within 24-hours (usually in an hour or less), stating that the part is either shipped or back ordered. Just below that notification it will tell you what needs to be done with the part. It will either state the same as the first email, and tell you to ship the part back, or it will state that the "return of the part has been waived" for this claim. In that case you can do whatever you want with it, recycle, trash, etc.

ezzysi
04-14-2022, 02:32 PM
Thanks for all the feedback chaps,

Had the unit back in workshop, bashed about the M I.U and turned upside down / spun up with a drill as suggested, also detoned it slightly.

Machines been back in with customer for a week or so and all seems well.

(On the Warranty comments, we're a UK Develop brand dealer, and certainly don't get warranty on anything once it's over 12 months old.)

Gift
04-14-2022, 02:46 PM
Thanks for all the feedback chaps,

Had the unit back in workshop, bashed about the M I.U and turned upside down / spun up with a drill as suggested, also detoned it slightly.

Machines been back in with customer for a week or so and all seems well.

(On the Warranty comments, we're a UK Develop brand dealer, and certainly don't get warranty on anything once it's over 12 months old.)

Same here, but there's room for discussion if this would happen in many more cases.

Today we visited a C3350i customer with a few thousand pages, no fancy coverage readings but already 3 empty magenta toner (initial + 2 spare). My tech decided not trying to recover the IU so we swapped it.

ezzysi
04-14-2022, 06:40 PM
Same here, but there's room for discussion if this would happen in many more cases.

Today we visited a C3350i customer with a few thousand pages, no fancy coverage readings but already 3 empty magenta toner (initial + 2 spare). My tech decided not trying to recover the IU so we swapped it.

Yep, this has been our experience too, extremely high toner consumption on Magenta with most of it found to be in the wastebox.

I doubt what I’ve done will be a long term fix enough to get the life out of the unit, hopefully the new I.U’s have better internal paddles to stop the dev stagnation around TD sensor.?

jwai
08-23-2022, 05:11 PM
Yup, I had 3 units C3300i have same issue, Wasted M toner and TCR dropped to 3% and 4% for two machines.
Take 2-3 pages of solid pattern M test pages and get 2 times toner agitation can solve it?

BTW, I found KM will release a modified IU that change the inner design of developer tank and increase volume of developer to solve this issue, is this true?

Markks
08-24-2022, 01:02 AM
Related Products:bizhub C3320i,bizhub C3300i,bizhub C3350i,bizhub C4050i
Related Options:
Problem
Faded image on copies and prints.
Note: C255X code may also occur.
Solution
CAUSE: Image unit is depleted due to a possible poor connection on the HV units or failed image units

SOLUTION: Install firmware version G00-B5 or newer. The latest version firmware is available for download via One Stop Product Support. After installing firmware version G00-B5 follow attached bulletin 12202. If after applying the steps in bulletin 12202 issue still exists follow steps below along with the attached documentation for additional information. Refer to the attached document for more information. To view the PDF, you may need to download a free copy of Adobe Reader®.

Please perform the following steps.
1. Remove the HV unit from the machine
2. Check the contacts to make sure they are straight and not bent that are located under where the board was located, they connect to each unit
3. On the HV unit gently clean the areas with sand paper or a scotchbrite pad (we have had reports of a substance or coating on the contacts) where the contacts from the inside of the machine connects to the HV unit (sample of coating when removed outlined below).

Attachment Image: IMG_3641.JPG

4. Reinstall the HV unit in the machine
5. Power ON the machine and check TCR readings for all colors they should be in the range of 6.00 if they are not, run manual toner add in service mode
6. After TCR levels are around 6.00 run the machine, It is recommended that the GDI test page be used to make the outputs. confirm the TCR values are staying steady
7 The image units may have to be replaced if the TCR values do not recover or image quality is poor

kingarthur
08-24-2022, 12:35 PM
I've had to replace quite a few IUs, more on the earlier ones - however have had no problems warranty claiming them

mascan42
08-25-2022, 01:03 PM
I've had a fairly common issue of the IU sucking the toner cartridge dry in just a few days, but it's usually on the yellow.

jwai
08-25-2022, 04:35 PM
I read other posts about this model, learned a method that upside down and shake IU well, performed 2 times toner agitation, fixed issue.
Now I observe how long it would keep good.

I guess mechanical design of IU is key point.

ezzysi
08-25-2022, 06:27 PM
I read other posts about this model, learned a method that upside down and shake IU well, performed 2 times toner agitation, fixed issue.

Yeh, sadly it just comes back again a few hundred prints later. The design of earlier I.U’s seems to have an inherent flaw somewhere 🙄

jwai
08-26-2022, 04:56 PM
Yeh, sadly it just comes back again a few hundred prints later. The design of earlier I.U’s seems to have an inherent flaw somewhere 🙄

In fact how to recognize the IUs are earlier or modified version?

SAR
04-26-2023, 07:38 PM
I've had to replace quite a few IUs, more on the earlier ones - however have had no problems warranty claiming them

Don't see the C3320i IU units on Konica Minolta YPP warranty site.
Where on the site did you submit yours for warraty claims?
Thanks!

tsbservice
04-26-2023, 08:00 PM
Thanks!

I don't think we have such program like YPP here over the great pond.
You're lucky having it and MKM service site compared to rest of the world.

femaster
04-27-2023, 01:16 AM
Thanks!
NOTE: The following applies to MY.KM in the US, support websites in other locations are most likely different.

For the C3320i and similar machines you have to go through the "Advance Exchange" warranty area to claim those. I know this by heart as I have submitted claims for 8 images units in the last few months for these machines. One magenta for a C3320i, and 7 various Cyan, Yellow, and Magenta for a couple of C3350i machines.

I'd suggest taking a look at the Service & Logistics Support Guide. It can be found under the "Service" tab and in the first Column titled "Service Tools".

jonbonse
05-10-2023, 06:20 PM

Hi, can you tell me where in service mode is the toner agitation process?

I know when running manual add toner that it will then run agitation however my TCR values are in range so assume it wont agitate?....

My issue is quite faint black when running full halftone pattern...Brand new black imaging unit installed too.

TIA

tsbservice
05-10-2023, 07:06 PM
Hi, can you tell me where in service mode is the toner agitation process?

I know when running manual add toner that it will then run agitation however my TCR values are in range so assume it wont agitate?....

My issue is quite faint black when running full halftone pattern...Brand new black imaging unit installed too.

TIA

You should be at certain firmware version, open tray 1 and run initialization+ stabilization in service mode. For best results you may remove image unit and shake it manually of course pay attention not to mess damn thing.

jonbonse
05-10-2023, 07:30 PM
You should be at certain firmware version, open tray 1 and run initialization+ stabilization in service mode. For best results you may remove image unit and shake it manually of course pay attention not to mess damn thing.

Thanks

The firmware is GC2-N4 with function version 2.2.

I just opened tray 1 (and 2) and run initialization+ stabilization in service mode but no difference. Please see pic attached. Brand new genuine Konica black toner installed also...

tsbservice
05-10-2023, 07:53 PM
Thanks

The firmware is GC2-N4 with function version 2.2.

I just opened tray 1 (and 2) and run initialization+ stabilization in service mode but no difference. Please see pic attached. Brand new genuine Konica black toner installed also...

You should hear it spins faster, I never tried with 2 trays open(close 2nd and try again), for sure your firmware is good. What is K TCR?

jonbonse
05-10-2023, 08:28 PM
You should hear it spins faster, I never tried with 2 trays open(close 2nd and try again), for sure your firmware is good. What is K TCR?

Yes it definitely spins faster... TCR is around 6.5%...

tsbservice
05-10-2023, 08:46 PM
Your sample is black halftone at 255?

jonbonse
05-10-2023, 08:51 PM
Your sample is black halftone at 255?

Yes mate

tsbservice
05-10-2023, 09:24 PM
Yes mate

Not good then, sorry for asking obvious question but you will be surprised how many techs forgot copier 1-2-3 troubleshooting steps.

jonbonse
05-11-2023, 01:37 PM
Not good then, sorry for asking obvious question but you will be surprised how many techs forgot copier 1-2-3 troubleshooting steps.

No worries thanks all the same!

Custom Search