PDA

View Full Version : Control Panel BH-C-284 > 284e?

Custom Search

Hansoon
04-08-2022, 08:23 PM
Guys got from a wholesaler a very nice BH-C-284e with very little on the clock, but..... the control panel has a crack. I could find a donor BH-C-284 without "e" which has a slightly different control panel. Anyone know if the glass of the older generation C-284 can be used for my C-284e?

Hans

copyman
04-08-2022, 10:55 PM
Guys got from a wholesaler a very nice BH-C-284e with very little on the clock, but..... the control panel has a crack. I could find a donor BH-C-284 without "e" which has a slightly different control panel. Anyone know if the glass of the older generation C-284 can be used for my C-284e?

Hans

Sorry Hans don't have answer but would think it would be the same. Only took apart one of these control panels and if I remember it wasn't easy and never fixed whatever the problem was. Don't think it was something with touch glass and more because it was dead. If it is an "E" panel you are welcome to the touch glass. Let me know and will look and see if "E" or NON E.

tmmdmmm
04-09-2022, 01:07 AM
Sorry Hans don't have answer but would think it would be the same. Only took apart one of these control panels and if I remember it wasn't easy and never fixed whatever the problem was. Don't think it was something with touch glass and more because it was dead. If it is an "E" panel you are welcome to the touch glass. Let me know and will look and see if "E" or NON E.

Also not sure if the glass itself can be swapped. I've split quite a few of those e panels for cleaning dust behind the glass and I can say the glass is held in with the rest of the front panel by some glue or other adhesive, so not sure if removing it is viable. I can also say that the e panel does work on a non-e, but the non-e cable is too short to reach so that would have to be swapped as well

Hansoon
04-09-2022, 06:22 AM
The glass itself can indeed not be swapped. It is glued to the plastic front panel frame. No way to remove. Tried with some force, tried with heat, tried with heat and force. No way.

Opening the control unit is not a big problem but one has to be extremely careful with the ribbon cable coming from the glass. It is the same type as in mobile phones, monitors, car displays etc. Too much force and one or more of the conductors are ripped off meaning a total-loss of the panel.

If any other cables do not fit that's not a big issue, that can be handled. We never had the Cxx4 generation, only the Cxx4e so I cannot compare them.

Hans

blackcat4866
04-09-2022, 02:29 PM
I used to have an "E" series panel with a couple of intermittent keys, that would have been ideal for your purpose ... but I cannot seem to locate it. I'm not sure what happened to it. Sorry. =^..^=

copier tech
04-09-2022, 05:46 PM

Hans

Personally I would use all the good parts from your C284 & fit them to the donor C284e.

tsbservice
04-09-2022, 07:05 PM
Personally I would use all the good parts from your C284 & fit them to the donor C284e.

Donor is something you take from...not something to put in :cool:

copier tech
04-10-2022, 11:48 AM
Donor is something you take from...not something to put in :cool:

Yes, I understand that but as the donor is a better model I would swap the fuser, drums, dev, transfer units over etc to that machine that way ending up with a working 'e' series.

Just my 6 pence worth.

Hansoon
04-10-2022, 06:49 PM
Yes, I understand that but as the donor is a better model I would swap the fuser, drums, dev, transfer units over etc to that machine that way ending up with a working 'e' series.

Just my 6 pence worth.

Are you kidding? We jumped the C-xx4 generation and went straight to the C-xx4e, hesitating to go to the C-xx8 series yet and will probably jump one day to the i-series directly.

Always believed that the "4e" series where an further improvement of the already good but older 4 series. Am I wrong?

Hans

tsbservice
04-10-2022, 07:18 PM
Are you kidding? We jumped the C-xx4 generation and went straight to the C-xx4e, hesitating to go to the C-xx8 series yet and will probably jump one day to the i-series directly.

Always believed that the "4e" series where an further improvement of the already good but older 4 series. Am I wrong?

Hans

Not wrong for sure.

Hans, as a side note and for your future plans 8 series for colour machines are very solid. I know their drums life aren't exactly match of 4/4e but other than that they are great machines and much modern in therms of security/connectivity.

copyman
04-10-2022, 07:24 PM

Hans

Yes the 4 "e" "enhanced" models were a good step up but basically the same machine. Biggest change was NO sliding control panel and 2nd thing with the network-scanning / electronics.

Most of my 200+ accounts are the 4 & 4e series. From the C224 to the C754e. Mostly C224e's. They have treated me and my customers very well! I would still be buying them but they are no longer coming off lease. Any upgrade of my customers will be with the "8" series since "4's" are no longer available. One of the biggest things I've noticed with the "8" series I've sold so far is they don't lose scanning like the "4" series and drums don't last as long (thanks to primary charge roller instead of saw tooth coronas)

Hansoon
04-10-2022, 07:39 PM
drums don't last as long (thanks to primary charge roller

That's the main reason I am still a little alarmed about the "8" series. I know that Kyocera machines are suffering from that. Many times I had to go to customers to clean their charge roller.

they don't lose scanning like the "4" series

What do you mean please. They are loosing the scan settings?

Hans

copyman
04-10-2022, 09:22 PM
That's the main reason I am still a little alarmed about the "8" series. I know that Kyocera machines are suffering from that. Many times I had to go to customers to clean their charge roller.

What do you mean please. They are loosing the scan settings?

Hans

As reliable as the "4" series is my most common service call over the years has been customer losing the scanning. Could never pin down exactly why. Of course some because they got new computers, windows update, changed ISP's, power outages, etc. A lot of issues with SMB 2 scanning, security issues, scan to gmail, etc etc. The scanning issues are getting worse as the years go by!

Gift
04-11-2022, 02:39 PM
Do you need this MFP for own use? In this case I don't think that the 8 series controller is that much better compared to 4e series - both compared with latst FW of course. If you need the latest SMB/Scan-to-Mail security standards you can still use both generations but it's more likely that the C308 will receive a few more updates. And if you decide to stick with the 4 series you better check it's battery^^

Hansoon
04-11-2022, 02:44 PM
Thanks for your input.

Do you need this MFP for own use?

No, we rent those machines to our customers.

Hans

Gift
04-11-2022, 02:57 PM
Thanks for your input.

No, we rent those machines to our customers.

Hans

OK in this case I'd prefer the 4e series for short term agreements only (like up to 12-24month max.). Of course that's easy to say if you have not enough 8 series returning.

Custom Search