PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous C450i occasional dark screen

Custom Search

tmmdmmm
04-11-2022, 10:47 PM
Have a customer whose op panel will randomly go very dim every few months. It remains responsive to touch, if you look closely it does have a faint image.

First tech goes out there and essentially punches it to work

I get called a few months later. Figuring it's a connection issue I check the usb c cable on both ends but cannot get an image. Run back to the office to grab the op panel and usb c off a known good and by the time I return an hour later the machine is working, EU did not touch it. I replace the op panel and usb c anyway.

Month later the call returns. Get there right away and the calls resolved. As a hail Mary I throw newest FW, SEC, and disabled power consumption in sleep mode.

Besides that, anyone else run into similar? I'd hate to go down the baseboard route, but besides another hail Mary of initializing all and restoring from a backup I think that's the most logical next step.

blackcat4866
04-11-2022, 10:54 PM
Just out of curiosity, is the machine in a cold environment? The fluorescent backlight can light slowly or flicker if it's really cold.

Just fishing. =^..^=

tmmdmmm
04-11-2022, 11:14 PM
Just out of curiosity, is the machine in a cold environment? The fluorescent backlight can light slowly or flicker if it's really cold.

Just fishing. =^..^=

I didn't consider that! When I was there it was fairly warm, but the person who called it in noticed the issue at 6am after a bit of rain and wind. The machine Is adjacent to their warehouse so it's a possibility. Have to keep that in mind for a possible return

Hansoon
04-12-2022, 05:29 AM
The fluorescent backlight can light slowly or flicker if it's really cold.

Do those machines really still have a CCFL or the more modern LED backlight?

Hans

Gift
04-12-2022, 07:06 AM
Do those machines really still have a CCFL or the more modern LED backlight?

Hans

I'm pretty shure it's LED since it's probably cheaper to built. Last panel problem I had (no image on screen at all) was due to a faulty USB cable. I'd also check if the ground wire mod is installed. Before I go with the boards I'd probably swap the panel first.

elmaligno
04-12-2022, 07:18 AM
Have a customer whose op panel will randomly go very dim every few months. It remains responsive to touch, if you look closely it does have a faint image.

I get called a few months later. Figuring it's a connection issue I check the usb c cable on both ends but cannot get an image. Run back to the office to grab the op panel and usb c off a known good and by the time I return an hour later the machine is working, EU did not touch it. I replace the op panel and usb c anyway.

Month later the call returns. Get there right away and the calls resolved. As a hail Mary I throw newest FW, SEC, and disabled power consumption in sleep mode.

Besides that, anyone else run into similar? I'd hate to go down the baseboard route, but besides another hail Mary of initializing all and restoring from a backup I think that's the most logical next step.

I had a few of those units fail on me, the hole on the main board where you plug in the cable from the operator panel was wrong. I had to bend the ground of the board connector a bit to get a good contact.

tmmdmmm
04-12-2022, 04:21 PM
I had a few of those units fail on me, the hole on the main board where you plug in the cable from the operator panel was wrong. I had to bend the ground of the board connector a bit to get a good contact.

The only other one I had was also a connection issue, getting it mounted in just the right way would give an image, but that seemed to make no difference on this particular machine.

I'm pretty shure it's LED since it's probably cheaper to built. Last panel problem I had (no image on screen at all) was due to a faulty USB cable. I'd also check if the ground wire mod is installed. Before I go with the boards I'd probably swap the panel first.

Checking bulletins for anything regarding the ground mod, can't find it. Are you referring to that connection on the mfpb side?

Gift
04-13-2022, 07:07 AM
I think this ground mod was initially added against issues with the touch screen, look here:

Awakening from causal energy savings (https://www.copytechnet.com/forums/konica-minolta/144340-awakening-causal-energy-savings.html)

KM added a wire as a modification for the i series, you should see it in web-parts guide including a bulletin. I know it's a long shot that this is going to help in your case but it's very easy to add and might reduce problems if a "charged" customer, like in a carpet-floor-enviroment, tries to wake up the panel and cause the panel-electronic to crash.

techsxge
04-14-2022, 02:16 PM

Had something similiar only once. Display wouldnt turn on at all until i took the machine off power and plugged back in 10-15 minutes later. Tried everything u mentioned before that. Turned out to be a problem in the machine config backup that i just used to restore all settings. I dont know to this day what the exact cause in it was but that was my solution

Custom Search