PDA

View Full Version : Bizhub 308 - Keep printjobs after power cycle due to error

Custom Search

Morten B DK
04-20-2022, 09:29 AM
I have a customer that prints thousands of pages every night on Bizhub printers.

Print comes from a custom warehouse software on a unix printserver. If they have to powercycle a printer due to a sudden error code the spooled job is deleted. It's very difficult to sort out which pages to re-print and also difficult to generate the printjob again.

They used to have Ricoh printers that kept the job if they had to do a powercycle of the printer.

I have enabled spooling to harddrive but job still gets deleted.

Anyone know off a subswitch or anything to change ?

Best Regards.

Morten Bahn, Denmark

emujo2
04-21-2022, 08:36 PM
I cannot speak for Ricoh products, but KM equipment does not keep any RAM data after a power cycle...Now you may say that can't be..I have a 50 page job that I delete due to an error in the middle of the job..I may even cycle power, but when the MFP is ready that job is printing once again..In this case the spooling is done on the workstation..The job remains in the print driver queue (see what's printing) until the entire job has been received by the device and it sends back "i got the last page"..You may try changing the spool settings to not do not print until last page is spooled, and you may also disable BI directional communication..Another option is to use the Windows Event viewer..Open the “PrintService” category and then click on the “Operational” log. A history of all Windows printer events will be listed, from initial printer spooling to completed or failed prints. I dont think you can reprint from here, but at least you can see what failed. E

Morten B DK
05-04-2022, 02:06 PM
Thank you for your reply.

As mentioned this is not windows print and spool settings can't be changed.

I know for a fact that their Ricoh printers keeps the job until it is printed and really hope this can be the case for the Bizhub machines as well.

Gift
05-04-2022, 03:37 PM
I'm not shure if ricoh printers do really keep a job in default conditions - I use them myself and I can do a power off/on cycle to stop them from printing. Of course they might resume if the server/spooler recognized that a job has been interrupted and the MFP announces itself "back on track". You can try and unplug the lan caple after turning the MFP off / keep it unplugged before turning it on again. Usually, without a network connection, there's no sign of resuming a print job after a power cycle.

avecosat
05-04-2022, 04:26 PM
With secure printing activated in the driver, the jobs are stored in the hd and are not deleted even if you turn off the MFP and you can the next day decide what you print and what not.

emujo2
05-04-2022, 05:14 PM
Yeah, he already mentioned that this is not using a windows driver to print..Too bad you didn't test this before you went with the new KMs..E

femaster
05-04-2022, 05:47 PM
With all the security craziness these days, and customers wanting to make sure that their data can not be retrieved from the HDD in the copiers, I highly doubt that a KM machine would have the ability to enable something like what you are looking for. Frankly, I'm surprised to hear that a Ricoh would do this for the same reasons. While highly unlikely to happen. holding onto a job across a reboot sounds like the perfect tool to scavenge confidential data off a HDD.

Custom Search