PDA

View Full Version : C558/C658 C-3101 C3101

Custom Search

allan
04-25-2022, 02:49 PM
Face palm...

Workshop techs striped and cleaned and resembled first a C658 machine then needed to test a fuser drive in the field so it got taken out from that machine and then returned after the fault on the field machine was found and repaired. After resembling the workshop machine it gave C-3101 C3101. Then told the tech to test with a drive from a C558. Lesson in that is that the C558 and C658 fuser drives are not the same.
After putting the drive back into the C558 where it belongs that machine also gave C-3101.

On testing the machines it feels like the pressure motor want to turn but fails. All seems plugged in and ok. After changing out a MFP board the problem remains. Turns out after much searching that CN4 on the expansion control board is actually for the ADU transport motor and not the fuser pressure motor that must go to CN15E on the MFPB.
Its way to easy connecting the one into the other...

So if you get C3101 on one of these ask the questions if the fuser drive was removed:rolleyes:.

blackcat4866
04-25-2022, 06:14 PM
Good catch! =^..^=

tsbservice
04-25-2022, 06:20 PM
Face palm...

Workshop techs striped and cleaned and resembled first a C658 machine then needed to test a fuser drive in the field so it got taken out from that machine and then returned after the fault on the field machine was found and repaired. After resembling the workshop machine it gave C-3101 C3101. Then told the tech to test with a drive from a C558. Lesson in that is that the C558 and C658 fuser drives are not the same.
After putting the drive back into the C558 where it belongs that machine also gave C-3101.

On testing the machines it feels like the pressure motor want to turn but fails. All seems plugged in and ok. After changing out a MFP board the problem remains. Turns out after much searching that CN4 on the expansion control board is actually for the ADU transport motor and not the fuser pressure motor that must go to CN15E on the MFPB.
Its way to easy connecting the one into the other...

So if you get C3101 on one of these ask the questions if the fuser drive was removed:rolleyes:.

Hey allan thanks for letting us to learn from your mistakes 😊
If memory serves me I think blackcat also mentioned this bad design somewhere in his extensive CL8 replacement instruction. Anyway I'm glad you solved it.

femaster
04-26-2022, 01:18 AM
One of our techs did the same thing with a C558. Same exact code and symptoms. After a lot of troubleshooting I finally discovered that the wires were swapped. That resolved the C3101, however, we had another code afterwards. I can't look at the history at the moment and I don't have the manual handy, but it had to do with CCD calibration failure. Some how reversing the wires blew out the CCD board, so we ended up replacing that as well.

blackcat4866
04-26-2022, 02:43 AM
Hey allan thanks for letting us to learn from your mistakes 😊
If memory serves me I think blackcat also mentioned this bad design somewhere in his extensive CL8 replacement instruction. Anyway I'm glad you solved it.

I never got so far as swapping connectors, but in all the moving around of the board's metal cage, I have partially unplugged that motor to the same effect. =^..^=

allan
04-26-2022, 07:00 AM
I never got so far as swapping connectors, but in all the moving around of the board's metal cage, I have partially unplugged that motor to the same effect. =^..^=

Off topic.
Must say i like this single board design better than the 4 series. Easy to get your head around what goes where when it comes to the eMMC and the eeproms. No reset toll needed. Had way to much experience in moving that metal cage around. Will get back to previous post about a machine that magically lost its engine values including the TCR for CMY due to a firmware upgrade. Will need to figure out how to restore the data to those eeproms. How to take a good one and back it up to the MFPB and resore it to the bad one...

Custom Search