PDA

View Full Version : Biz C659

Custom Search

copyman
05-04-2022, 07:06 PM
Hey all,

Sorry for being so long but want to make sure you get the whole story.

I have a very good customer that I've sold off lease machines for the last 25 yrs. They all worked out well and customer got a minimum of 5+ yrs out of them. As you all know this saved them thousands of dollars over purchasing new! Anyway in last 1.5 years I've replaced two C454 (non-E) with two C558e. They have been working great with one or two minor service calls.

They have one more C454 which I was going to replace but their IT person said he would rather have a "New" machine and specifically asked for a C659. I told him it would cost as least double of what I could sell them a C558e for but wanted a price anyway. Told him I'm not a dealer and didn't think a dealer could sell me a production model. Think he would go for an off lease C659 once he sees price difference! Told him it may take a few months to find an off lease C659, have my wholesalers looking for a low meter C659 off lease or repo.

Before I go any further with this I wanted to know if anyone has opinion on the C659? I've never seen one. Is it much different then the 8 series for me to work on it? I have access to all the manuals.

Also he wrote this, can someone explain what OTA means and does the C659 have this?
"I had hoped getting a latest and greatest machine would have OTA firmware upgrades, better scanning options, and longer life"

Thanks in advance

Brett GS
05-04-2022, 07:18 PM
Think you mean C558?
The only e i know is a B458e/B558e/B658e.
The C659 is much the same as a C759.
They not too bad as a office machine but as soon as you start printing on thick stock you will see a big diffrence to a C754.
Had a C759 sold to a print shop but had endless issues with thick stock (300gsm), causing "banding" caused by the fuser, at first fuser was replaced but not even 1000 clicks later banding was back when solids were printed.

80gsm will be fine.
Thats my experience with this model.

tsbservice
05-04-2022, 07:22 PM
OTA means over-the-air. Nothing that worth it. You can screw things doing unnecessary Firmware updates as we all know. Afaik C659 is not production machine and not latest model as KM has new i-series from at least 3 years. That said I believe C659 would be good machine but used 8 series for a fraction of price is better choice.

tech51
05-04-2022, 08:02 PM
Actuators in the duplex and registration unit wear out quite quickly and cause random jams.

The image units hardly ever make it to life.

Tray 3 and four feed rollers require replacement frequently.

Haven’t had a fuser make life either!

I suppose it depends on the volume your user is going to put through it but I have a lot of these out in the field and quite frankly I can’t wait until they get replaced with c750i’s.

copyman
05-04-2022, 10:25 PM
Think you mean C558?
The only e i know is a B458e/B558e/B658e.
The C659 is much the same as a C759.
They not too bad as a office machine but as soon as you start printing on thick stock you will see a big diffrence to a C754.
Had a C759 sold to a print shop but had endless issues with thick stock (300gsm), causing "banding" caused by the fuser, at first fuser was replaced but not even 1000 clicks later banding was back when solids were printed.

80gsm will be fine.
Thats my experience with this model.

Yes C558. I know the "E" were for the B&W models.

No thick paper. regular office using 20lb bond

Thanks for the other info

copyman
05-04-2022, 10:33 PM
Actuators in the duplex and registration unit wear out quite quickly and cause random jams.

The image units hardly ever make it to life.

Tray 3 and four feed rollers require replacement frequently.

Haven’t had a fuser make life either!

I suppose it depends on the volume your user is going to put through it but I have a lot of these out in the field and quite frankly I can’t wait until they get replaced with c750i’s.

It seems like every model after the "4" series is getting worse & worse. Guess I got spoiled with "4" series consumables going way past their life. Kon/Min knew this and went to drums using PCR's which makes it almost impossible to go past the rated life or even make it to the rated life for that matter!

If history shows anything the "i" series aren't going to be any better than the previous series.

Ha-ha, almost sounds like this is a "Konica" designed old dog Biz 601/751....

Almost makes me want to try and talk the customer into a C558

copyman
05-04-2022, 10:36 PM
sry double post

femaster
05-05-2022, 03:02 AM
The C659 has a similar design to the 808 if you've ever seen one of those, with the exception of color of course. It has the downward opening right access door reminiscent of the old C550, C650, 552, 652, C552, C652 machines.

I have to agree with tech51 on the C659. The consumables almost never make their rated life in these. Seems like almost everything that we end up changing out on these machines ends up going back as a warranty claim. That and even as of right now, getting parts and toner for the C659 is still nearly impossible. It's getting better, but it seems like this model is coming out of this much slower than others. Whenever we order anything for them, it's a long wait on back order.

Personally I'd advise against the C659, but that's just my opinion.

jwai
05-05-2022, 11:31 AM
I have one C759 ( sister model of C659 ) the fuser belt scratched by separator, only printed 150K.

Custom Search