PDA

View Full Version : Waste disposal survey

Custom Search

orestesp
05-10-2022, 12:08 PM
Hi everyone,

I am currently in the process of writing an assignment on how waste generated by copiers/digital presses are managed. I have prepared a very short survey relevant to this, since most of you guys service those machines for a living I'd appreciate if you could spare a few minutes to fill it out.

It's completely anonymous, you do not have to leave any personal information such as you name, place of employment or your email address.

Thanks in advance.

Digital printing waste disposal survey (https://forms.gle/XoBQSGNhBJEuqb3c8)

emujo2
05-10-2022, 02:39 PM
With exception of where you try to shame us for using the trash bin to dispose of some supplies it was a good survey..Hope you can find a way to help us reduce the waste these things produce..You also did not ask about how much is recycled. There are tons of cardboard and foam filler just from the setups..When recycling is worth it to the collection companies, they would pay to pick it up..When it's no longer in there best interest to do so they begin to charge for the service. This affects how much we can do.

orestesp
05-10-2022, 05:07 PM
With exception of where you try to shame us for using the trash bin to dispose of some supplies it was a good survey..Hope you can find a way to help us reduce the waste these things produce..You also did not ask about how much is recycled. There are tons of cardboard and foam filler just from the setups..When recycling is worth it to the collection companies, they would pay to pick it up..When it's no longer in there best interest to do so they begin to charge for the service. This affects how much we can do.

This is really the point that I want to illustrate - in general, shaming the end consumer of the product for not disposing of waste generated by the product, while the end consumer is practically not able to is a very easy way out for the companies that actually produce and distribute the products - basically the people that are responsible for the problem in the first place.

We are being told to reduce our consumption/waste we produce, while very little thought goes into e.g. the recycle-ability of products, hell, lots of products nowadays are designed to be thrown away in order to keep the wheel turning.

Take for example plastics recycling. Do you think that that little piece of plastic that you tear off from product packaging has a reasonable chance of being recycled? Assuming that it even makes it to a recycling plant, it's very hard for the plant operator to sort these out by resin, let alone do it economically enough to be financially viable. It's a hell of a lot easier to burn it or bury it along with similar trash.

All the burden is being put on the consumer, who gets 'spoiled' by companies to a certain lifestyle through the use of their products and once the environmental impact of said products makes a bad headline and the stock price goes down, the consumer gets shamed for using it and is told to radically change the way they live or do business, many times without an alternative that isn't disruptive or even mostly viable, while only a few mostly pretentious solutions are being taken at the start of the waste generation stream - i.e. large companies.

If you were provided with a bin by the copier manufacturer to throw waste toner in it, at a low or no cost at all, how many people would refuse to actually use it?

J_Arnold
05-10-2022, 08:42 PM
This is really the point that I want to illustrate - in general, shaming the end consumer of the product for not disposing of waste generated by the product, while the end consumer is practically not able to is a very easy way out for the companies that actually produce and distribute the products - basically the people that are responsible for the problem in the first place.

We are being told to reduce our consumption/waste we produce, while very little thought goes into e.g. the recycle-ability of products, hell, lots of products nowadays are designed to be thrown away in order to keep the wheel turning.

Take for example plastics recycling. Do you think that that little piece of plastic that you tear off from product packaging has a reasonable chance of being recycled? Assuming that it even makes it to a recycling plant, it's very hard for the plant operator to sort these out by resin, let alone do it economically enough to be financially viable. It's a hell of a lot easier to burn it or bury it along with similar trash.

All the burden is being put on the consumer, who gets 'spoiled' by companies to a certain lifestyle through the use of their products and once the environmental impact of said products makes a bad headline and the stock price goes down, the consumer gets shamed for using it and is told to radically change the way they live or do business, many times without an alternative that isn't disruptive or even mostly viable, while only a few mostly pretentious solutions are being taken at the start of the waste generation stream - i.e. large companies.

If you were provided with a bin by the copier manufacturer to throw waste toner in it, at a low or no cost at all, how many people would refuse to actually use it?
Toshiba provided recycle containers for a while, but then started charging for the service switching the burden to the dealers. Dealers either had to eat the cost or convince the customer to purchase the containers and then notify dealer when it is full, just to be charged to ship it off so Toshiba could make some park benches. It did not go over very well.

copyman
05-11-2022, 01:03 AM
So I have my customers dump the toner into their trash and re-use waste box. The other alternative is what the OEM wants them to do, put a plastic piece to cover holes onto the plastic waste toner box, put into a plastic bag and throw into trash! Then sell them a new plastic box for $40 and start all over.

Worry more about the ozone copiers create! Most waste toner is waxed based and harmless for the most part. There are thousands of other things destroying the earth that should have "surveys" on.

Sorry if I sound a little pissed, just last week NJ went to not offering bags in stores so I'm still getting use to running back to car to get re-usable bags for groceries. This after I just got use to asking for straws with drinks! :(

allan
05-11-2022, 12:35 PM
Not completing the survey. It returns google account info.

We try to do our part to discard of consumables by using licensed companies. Not all techs return used components, guess it a hassle for them.

orestesp
05-11-2022, 01:09 PM
Not completing the survey. It returns google account info.

We try to do our part to discard of consumables by using licensed companies. Not all techs return used components, guess it a hassle for them.

Hi Allan, thanks for dropping by.

Not sure what you mean by 'returns google account info'? I have specifically set it to not require you to sign into any account in order to fill it out.

allan
05-11-2022, 02:33 PM
It returns my email account to that site I am logging in with to use google.
Sure you don't see it but someone does.

Would fill it in with pleasure if I could stay anonymous.

Custom Search