PDA

View Full Version : Drum unit 8e and i series

Custom Search

jwai
05-18-2022, 01:41 PM
Hello,

I have some issue about the reliability of drum unit, on 368e/458e and C450i.
There are image problems when the drum unit life remain approx. 50%, it mainly cause of cleaning blade or charge roller cleaning.

Also have this similar case on worldwide market?

Toxic
05-18-2022, 01:53 PM
Yes, it is normal or better to say i have seen this many times.
KM is insane when they predict drum should go for over 250k prints.
That is almost not possible with older design with charging corona and with charge roller is really impossible to achieve.

Gift
05-18-2022, 02:05 PM
Yes, it is normal or better to say i have seen this many times.
KM is insane when they predict drum should go for over 250k prints.
That is almost not possible with older design with charging corona and with charge roller is really impossible to achieve.

Yeah I agree that's very optimistic - ricoh for example uses a wax bar + application brush roller to protect the drum surface and extent the PM cycle.

What's even the difference between the long life drum unit and standard drum unit? From what I can remember is that they uses different charge cleaning rollers.

REGSIS
05-18-2022, 02:33 PM
Recently, K drum on one of my C250i reached 200k and still running without any issues.
8 series 120k-150k.

tsbservice
05-18-2022, 02:49 PM
Recently, K drum on one of my C250i reached 200k and still running without any issues.
8 series 120k-150k.
Which is very good for the price of new original drum unit but still is low compared to 300k+ of drums with charge corona.
I have one 458e which seem to almost fulfil quoted drum life with about 250k from drum unit but I guess it's due to low coverage plus they aren't very picky :)

copyman
05-19-2022, 02:25 AM
I have posted about this before. The reason K/M went to PCR's (charge rollers) is so drum units will NOT last 2-3 lifes like the charge corona drums will last. I've had "4" series drums (DR512) last 300k + pages. Just upgraded a customer to "8" series and took their C454 NON-E back to shop, machine has 500K on meter and looking at history had 1 black drum, transfer belt, fuser, ADF & Tray feed rollers. That is it in 5+ years customer had machine (I sold this off lease machine to customer with 15K clicks on meter). So in reality machine is 8+ yrs old. Still makes a decent print! Customer would of kept it but was having IT issues.
Bottom line is PCR rollers suck in copier drum units and belong ONLY in HP printer toner cartridges!

Hansoon
05-19-2022, 06:43 AM
The reason K/M went to PCR's (charge rollers) is so drum units will NOT last 2-3 lifes like the charge corona drums will last

Could it be that besides this - for KonicaMinolta very pleasant side effect - an important reason for the change from corona to charge roller is that the ozone production of the newer generation machines is much less or practically none to meet environmental demands?

:)

Hans

copyman
05-19-2022, 12:54 PM
Could it be that besides this - for KonicaMinolta very pleasant side effect - an important reason for the change from corona to charge roller is that the ozone production of the newer generation machines is much less or practically none to meet environmental demands?

:)

Hans

How true, forgot about the Green deal and how the world is going to end in 10-20 years according to the radicals! But knowing Kon/Min and other OEM's making money was real reason and saw they could use the ozone as excuse....

By the way machines the last 10 years have generated way less ozone's than the older models. When I first started in this biz 40+ yrs ago I remember customers in small offices saying they only felt sick at work, sore throat, headaches, etc etc. We would laugh it off as they just didn't like to work. Years later come to find out how much copiers polluted offices with ozone's! I'll never forget that sweet smell odor of copier generated ozone....

Hansoon
05-19-2022, 01:27 PM
I'll never forget that sweet smell odor of copier generated ozone....

That smell I recently noticed once again and with nostalgic feelings about the "analog" days. I had forgotten to install the ozone filter at the rear left side of a BH-C-360. The room smelled "fresh" as after a thunderstorm.

Hans

copyman
05-19-2022, 01:29 PM
That smell I recently noticed once again and with nostalgic feelings about the "analog" days. I had forgotten to install the ozone filter at the rear left side of a BH-C-360. The room smelled "fresh" as after a thunderstorm.

Hans

Exactly!

techlogic
09-20-2022, 11:52 PM
I have the same issue with these PCR drum units and more infuriating is the C759 imaging units with same design. Never last and when customer do high detail gradation prints any blemish they request replacement.

So much for being green with no ozone… replacing drums and imaging 3x often and drive to customer in my car and all the extra units to goto a landfill… I think the carbon footprint math is a bit larger.

Gift
09-22-2022, 07:08 AM
I have the same issue with these PCR drum units and more infuriating is the C759 imaging units with same design. Never last and when customer do high detail gradation prints any blemish they request replacement.

So much for being green with no ozone… replacing drums and imaging 3x often and drive to customer in my car and all the extra units to goto a landfill… I think the carbon footprint math is a bit larger.

Yeah this decision was made just for seeling more consumables. Kind of understandable from KM perspective but you're right - the trash pile it generates is kind of a shame...

Custom Search