PDA

View Full Version : C450 printing without a network?

Custom Search

excanonguy
01-11-2009, 08:29 PM
Whats the easiest way to get this set-up on a temp basis ,there will just be one laptop being used..I didnt see a usb port on the machine when I checked it? Any help appreciated.

RockETop
01-11-2009, 08:37 PM
TCP/IP.

TheOwl
01-11-2009, 10:05 PM
Agreed with Rocketop.

Just have a crossover CAT5e cable hanging out of the machine and just plug the cable into the laptop.

You will need to set a static IP on the copier and have an alternate TCP/IP configuration on your latop so that the two will talk.

redime
01-12-2009, 05:50 AM
Yup TCP/IP, copier doesn't have a USB connector but the laptop will have a standard networking port, or at least wireless. If it is wireless, you will need to buy some wireless equipment... check out TigerDirect.com , NewEgg.com or Buy.com -- but chances are if its a "temp" setup you wont want to buy any equipment, so look to see that the laptop has a regular wired internet port.

excanonguy
01-12-2009, 04:16 PM
Agreed with Rocketop.

Just have a crossover CAT5e cable hanging out of the machine and just plug the cable into the laptop.

You will need to set a static IP on the copier and have an alternate TCP/IP configuration on your latop so that the two will talk.

What do you mean an"alternate" TCP/IP ? Just set it up like a reg network install on the driver? And what about the gateway? Thanks guys!

Bacon
01-12-2009, 04:42 PM
What do you mean an"alternate" TCP/IP ? Just set it up like a reg network install on the driver? And what about the gateway? Thanks guys!

Yes, set it up like a regular network install on the driver. Either use the same gateway as the laptop, or no gateway. It wont matter either way in this type of installation. I think what he means by "alternate" is a different IP on the printer than the laptop... I'm guessing you already know that? More often than not you don't need the gateway but I've always used whatever was already in use by a local PC or provided to me by a customers administrator.

TheOwl
01-12-2009, 09:35 PM

Sorry, should have explained that a bit better. If this copier is only going to be used every now and then, it would be best to setup the Alternate Configuration within the TCP/IP properties. That way, when the laptop is hooked backup to a network, you won't have to change the IP address of the laptop again.

Have a look through this MS KB. It will explain it a bit better.

How to use the Alternate Configuration feature for multiple network connectivity in Windows XP (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283676)

Using this will give a better versatility with the laptop.

excanonguy
01-13-2009, 05:55 PM
Great! Thanks for the info guys I will try and get out to do it before the end of the week, the customer is 1.5 hrs out of our reg territory so I want to make sure I get it done on the first try! Will let you know how it goes.

excanonguy
01-20-2009, 12:50 AM
Just wanted to say thanks again guys for the help ,got it up and printing this morning , a C500 prevented me from getting there on Fri lol!!

RockETop
01-20-2009, 02:22 AM
C500's will do that!

avold
01-20-2009, 07:10 AM
You can also use NetSetMan (NetSetMan - Network Settings Manager | Freeware & Professional (http://netsetman.com/index.php?s=nsm)) for changing the Network settings easy. I used for 2 years now without any problems.
Just one question guys.I am not familiar with the Konika machines but since there is no router or hub between pc and printer i believe you must use a crossover cable , not a plain one. But maybe i am wrong.

Good luck

TheOwl
02-02-2009, 12:19 AM
Avold,

You find that alot of laptops these days will automatically cross the TX and RX lines if it detects a device directly connected.

I only carry around a crossover cable these days (sometimes there are issues with the laptop detecting the device if it is really old) and that will work when I plug it into switches, hubs, routers and so on because the NIC in my laptop will automatically cross the TX and RX lines to make it work.

excanonguy
02-02-2009, 12:32 AM
Avold,

You find that alot of laptops these days will automatically cross the TX and RX lines if it detects a device directly connected.

I only carry around a crossover cable these days (sometimes there are issues with the laptop detecting the device if it is really old) and that will work when I plug it into switches, hubs, routers and so on because the NIC in my laptop will automatically cross the TX and RX lines to make it work.

Thanks, I wasnt aware of that!

excanonguy
02-02-2009, 12:33 AM
You can also use NetSetMan (NetSetMan - Network Settings Manager | Freeware & Professional (http://netsetman.com/index.php?s=nsm)) for changing the Network settings easy. I used for 2 years now without any problems.
Just one question guys.I am not familiar with the Konika machines but since there is no router or hub between pc and printer i believe you must use a crossover cable , not a plain one. But maybe i am wrong.

Good luck

Yes I had to use acrossover to make it work.

Custom Search