PDA

View Full Version : Disable HM-102 in RU-509?

Custom Search

Bornhall
05-23-2022, 12:09 PM
Hi there,

Been lurking on and off, but never bothered to actually register (since we have service technicians doing the maintenance of the machine).

Relevant equipment; K-M Bizhub Press C6000 with RU-509 first in line (also SD-506 and FS-521 off the top of my head).

Problem; for some reason the HM-102 (humidifier) in the RU-509 is acting up and eating the drive gear of the M8 motor on the back side of the humidifier assembly. The RU unit and the rest of the inline post processing units were originally attached to a C8000 machine, which we bought used a few years back. At the time, we had to replace this very same motor, because the helical gear was basically gone. So, same issue now, most likely.

Thing is, we've had a lot of jam issues which we thought were elsewhere, but the J-7553 jam code indicated an issue with the RU-509.

So, is anyone familiar with if this is a common problem, and if there's anything that can be done to alleviate the wearing of the helical gear (it's only on the motor, seemingly, same last time)?

Also, seeing as we're not really using either the humidifier at all, is there some way to disable/remove it and still maintain function of the rest of the RU-509 unit? We very rarely use the decurling option, so having the RU sit there is mostly an annoyance (yes, I know it features some calibration stuff and so on). I've checked the service manual to see if there was any way of "disabling" the HM-102 and forcing the path to take the bypass route instead of *always* going through the humidifier. One would think that setting the paper tray to "Humidifier: OFF" would cause the machine to skip by the humidifier path, but it seems not. I don't know if it ever will use the bypass, but have verified the operation of the SD1 solenoid that operates the sector gate that should direct the paper to the bypass route.

The machine is currently inoperable as it stands, since nothing will pass the RU-509. If there is any "quick and dirty" way of disconnecting the HM-102 (seeing as it refers to it as "option" in the service manual) entirely (someone somewhere in this forum mentioned something regarding DIPSW 1-4 on the RU controller board), I would go for it in a heartbeat.

I don't work as a technician professionally, but have a background in electrical automation, so I should be able to perform most tasks that doesn't involve specialized equipment or software regarding Konica-Minolta.

In any way, thanks in advance for any and all help!

/Peter

Bornhall
05-23-2022, 12:11 PM
Above: The helical gear worn down. Half of it could be useable, possibly.

Above: I have verified that the SD1 solenoid operates the section gate as it should.

blackcat4866
05-23-2022, 03:10 PM
I haven't installed or served one of these humidifiers, but I think, I'd follow the installation instructions in reverse, and un-install the HM102.

My only concern is that in the installation process, often certain original guides or covers are removed, that you no longer have so you cannot re-install. But having read the instructions I do not see any critical guide being removed or disposed of.

Damn! 2.4MB is too big to attach to this thread. Private message me an email destination and I'll email the HM-102 Installation Manual to you. =^..^=

Bornhall
05-25-2022, 06:59 AM
I haven't installed or served one of these humidifiers, but I think, I'd follow the installation instructions in reverse, and un-install the HM102.

Huge thanks to blackcat4866 for the help with pointing us in the right direction here, it turns out that it is indeed possible to disable the HM-102 in hardware. I had the service technicians out to perform the actual operation (we had another issue to deal with as well, not related to the HM-102), which was pretty straightforward. In retrospect I might have managed to do it myself, but hey, service technicians need their livelihood, right? :D

One thing to note though, the manual says that DIPSW 1-4 should be set to ON/1 for the HM-102, but ours was set to ON-OFF-OFF-ON – so we surmised that the manual likely refers to DIPSW 1 *AND* 4, not 1 *through* 4. In the end, removing the HM-102 we set all DIPSW to OFF/0.

As it stands, the paper path does now use the bypass route instead, which is what we were after.

For anyone looking for the HM-102 installation manual, I have it available here: HM-102_E Installation Manual.pdf - Google Drive (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Fl9nhO-GGJ34_Mak3zd7a87Up1smagDH/view?usp=sharing)

Again, thanks! Hoping I can pay it forward some day!

blackcat4866
05-25-2022, 01:43 PM
... :D

One thing to note though, the manual says that DIPSW 1-4 should be set to ON/1 for the HM-102, but ours was set to ON-OFF-OFF-ON – so we surmised that the manual likely refers to DIPSW 1 *AND* 4, not 1 *through* 4. In the end, removing the HM-102 we set all DIPSW to OFF/0...

Thanks for clarifying those instructions. I've made a note in the database. Congratulations on your success! =^..^=

lucky13
05-28-2022, 07:09 PM
Hi there,

Been lurking on and off, but never bothered to actually register (since we have service technicians doing the maintenance of the machine).

Relevant equipment; K-M Bizhub Press C6000 with RU-509 first in line (also SD-506 and FS-521 off the top of my head).

Problem; for some reason the HM-102 (humidifier) in the RU-509 is acting up and eating the drive gear of the M8 motor on the back side of the humidifier assembly. The RU unit and the rest of the inline post processing units were originally attached to a C8000 machine, which we bought used a few years back. At the time, we had to replace this very same motor, because the helical gear was basically gone. So, same issue now, most likely.

Thing is, we've had a lot of jam issues which we thought were elsewhere, but the J-7553 jam code indicated an issue with the RU-509.

So, is anyone familiar with if this is a common problem, and if there's anything that can be done to alleviate the wearing of the helical gear (it's only on the motor, seemingly, same last time)?

Also, seeing as we're not really using either the humidifier at all, is there some way to disable/remove it and still maintain function of the rest of the RU-509 unit? We very rarely use the decurling option, so having the RU sit there is mostly an annoyance (yes, I know it features some calibration stuff and so on). I've checked the service manual to see if there was any way of "disabling" the HM-102 and forcing the path to take the bypass route instead of *always* going through the humidifier. One would think that setting the paper tray to "Humidifier: OFF" would cause the machine to skip by the humidifier path, but it seems not. I don't know if it ever will use the bypass, but have verified the operation of the SD1 solenoid that operates the sector gate that should direct the paper to the bypass route.

The machine is currently inoperable as it stands, since nothing will pass the RU-509. If there is any "quick and dirty" way of disconnecting the HM-102 (seeing as it refers to it as "option" in the service manual) entirely (someone somewhere in this forum mentioned something regarding DIPSW 1-4 on the RU controller board), I would go for it in a heartbeat.

I don't work as a technician professionally, but have a background in electrical automation, so I should be able to perform most tasks that doesn't involve specialized equipment or software regarding Konica-Minolta.

In any way, thanks in advance for any and all help!

/Peter
thats strange the c8000 came with an RU508 and HM101 as options are you positive you have an ru509 with a hm102 that came from a c8000?

Custom Search