PDA

View Full Version : Jamming C284 FS-534 72-22 Jamming

Custom Search

Madnhain
06-14-2022, 03:35 PM
So I've got this C284 with an FS-534. I've been fighting this for a while now and just yesterday got to see it happen. This 72-22 (The sub tray exit sensor not reached) jam happens once, sometimes twice per day, usually happens the first print of the day. It can go 1000 clicks between or 5. There doesn't appear to be any rhyme, reason or pattern.

So here's what's happening: When the jam occurs, the paper is entering the lower finisher exit tray. Now, backing up in the process a little... When the device receives the job, the finisher produces a loud "snap" sound. This sound is coming from the cam that actuates the paper path switching gate that directs the paper either up or down depending on the exit tray. Unlike other finishers, this one does not have the solenoid that actuates this gate but a cam that is driven by a series of gears and belts... 53668
So... The gate isn't dropping to direct the paper UP, causing the 72-22. That's the what.

The Why has got me stumped. The Cam, gate, belt, gears, gate tension spring all look excellent.

The book says if the sensor is good to replace the FSCB. I'm not sure I want to jump to that just yet, my gut still says it's mechanical.

allan
06-14-2022, 03:49 PM
Try setting the fusing temp to -10 on plain paper. Paper curl could be an issue if they say its certain times of day it could be environmental.
Or run the machine in SEF for a while to check if the same jam occurs.

The sound could be a paper stuck in the wrong path when the gate moves back. The cam type gates are much more reliable then the solenoid types.
Try to take of covers to where you can have a look at what happens.

Madnhain
06-14-2022, 04:12 PM
Try setting the fusing temp to -10 on plain paper. Paper curl could be an issue if they say its certain times of day it could be environmental.
Or run the machine in SEF for a while to check if the same jam occurs.

The sound could be a paper stuck in the wrong path when the gate moves back. The cam type gates are much more reliable then the solenoid types.
Try to take of covers to where you can have a look at what happens.

Thanks, I'll give that a try.
There is no paper present at the time of the "snap". The sound happens when it first starts to process a job, when everything is "returning to home position".

tmmdmmm
06-14-2022, 04:28 PM
Thanks, I'll give that a try.
There is no paper present at the time of the "snap". The sound happens when it first starts to process a job, when everything is "returning to home position".

You'll cause a jam every time you try it, but I think this is one where you can cheat the finiser door sensor, pull out the SD, cheat that sensor if present, and observe while sending a job. Everything is built into the SD on this one I think

Madnhain
06-14-2022, 05:29 PM
You'll cause a jam every time you try it, but I think this is one where you can cheat the finiser door sensor, pull out the SD, cheat that sensor if present, and observe while sending a job. Everything is built into the SD on this one I think

This is exactly how I identified that it was the cam's rotation with the path switching gate causing the snapping sound. It almost feels like a timing issue, but then why would it not jam consistently.

tsbservice
06-14-2022, 06:01 PM
Hi, doesn't have this kind of jam but you can review this old thread:
Konica c284 with finisher jam J72-22 (https://www.copytechnet.com/forums/konica-minolta/121332-konica-c284-finisher-jam-j72-22-a.html)
Best of luck.

dallas
06-14-2022, 06:16 PM
Hello
Check whether the spring 19 is missing, bent or unhooked.

Madnhain
06-14-2022, 06:40 PM
Hello
Check whether the spring 19 is missing, bent or unhooked.

Already checked that spring. I have seen those bent a few times before so it was one of the first things I checked.

copyman
06-14-2022, 08:07 PM
Sorry can't help with that type of jam, only one I've had a few times is when exiting caused by worn jogger guides. There was a bulletin to add longer mylar guides to top of joggers.

Real reason for this post is I have several low meter FS-534's that I can take parts off of if you need something. These were from off lease machines I sold but customer didn't have room for finisher.

Custom Search