PDA

View Full Version : 654e jams with no jam code, forces reboot

Custom Search

92DodgeDynasty
06-15-2022, 02:02 AM
Hello guys,

I am hoping your brains and any good will my modest contribution has made can help me in my predicament.

For starters, I am not a Konica tech, nonetheless I have a machine to service. I have the manual but no access to Knowledge Base, firmware or tech support.

I have a 654e with frequent jams up the right side door. No crunching of paper & not always in the same place. What's odd is the jams are not being recorded in the Jam History section of the Service Mode. And after all the paper is cleared, I need to reboot the machine to get rid of the jam message on the screen. There are also no Trouble Codes recorded.

I forced a tray jam by poorly loading paper and it does record those jams.

I forced the door open during operation and it doesn't record those type of jams.

So I am thinking I have an electrical issue, perhaps a door interlock switch. What leads me away from the door interlock is that I have to reboot the machine to clear the jam message. I'd think a flaky interlock would reset after a few good door closings.

So that's that. If you need any more info I will try my best to provide it.

rrrohan
06-15-2022, 02:38 AM
any error codes at same time as jam?

why do you need to reboot, does it not believe that the jam has been removed?

92DodgeDynasty
06-15-2022, 03:07 AM
any error codes at same time as jam?

why do you need to reboot, does it not believe that the jam has been removed?

No jam or trouble code on the screen. Just a message to remove the jam, along with corresponding circled numbers to the jam location (10,11,14 etc). And no jam code gets logged into Jam History in Service Mode.

The reason for reboot eludes me. I take out the paper, close the door but the same jam screen remains displayed. After reboot it's fine.

copyman
06-15-2022, 03:52 AM
Is it happening from all paper trays? What happens if you print the internal test pages? What about paper path test in service mode?

I would start by initializing the machine in service mode, and update firmware.

tmmdmmm
06-15-2022, 05:52 AM
Had something very similar, minus not being able to clear without a reboot.

That duplex door is one of the few sensors that trigger an "open" state when its blocked. Duplex door sensor had some paper dust on it that would trigger a very quick "door open" message and stop the machine. Doors being open is one of the few jams that will not leave any code.

It'll cause it regardless of tray, and regardless of whether or not the job is duplex.

This sensor in particular is behind the panel just to the right of the duplex door if you are looking at it from the side. Believe its only two screws

There's also the reflective sensor below the dust brush under registration, but that does leave jam codes. It however requires a reboot to temporarily fix

I would go ahead and clean both sensors to start

allan
06-15-2022, 10:08 AM
If its not 1 then its 0. If a sensor of switch is faulty it can cause a X( voltage in the grey area between 0 and 5V) state. That can cause some issues the diagnostics cant deal with. It knows something is wrong but not sure what or where. Restart could make the X go back to 0 or 1.

Next time that happens go to service mode under initialize and do an engine error clear, check if it clears the jam without having to restart.
If it does then look to see if it recorded any error or jam.

Check out sensor check and make the door switches and sensors to see if they work normally.
Even check it when its in a jammed state. Could help you find the faulty input.

Some inputs like fuser rotation and some others does switch from 0 to 1 while viewing the state.

blackcat4866
06-15-2022, 04:03 PM
The machine has the ability to auto-clear certain error messages/codes without displaying them. Usually you see something like: "An internal error has occurred. The machine will automatically reset ..."

It's especially common with errors like C2557 (developer density errors).

There are two things that you can do:

First to can disable auto-clearing of error messages (to see the messages): service mode > System2 > Internal Error Auto-Cancel > set Rank B to NO > set Rank C to NO.

Second, you can print the Management List, which will display all the errors that occurred, regardless if they were displayed or not: Load Letter paper LEF to the top tray (older machines require Letter SEF) > service mode > List Output > Management List > Start
The error list appears after pg 13 in the Management List, so this might not help you. Especially with C2557 codes the error can pop up every 6 pgs, so you never get to page 13. =^..^=

tsbservice
06-15-2022, 06:47 PM
Check in System 2 that machine is set to display jam codes, on this model I believe they are not displayed by default (thanks KM). That said I think jam codes still should be recorded in MML like BC said. Strange.
Give us as much as possible information and you will be pleased with outcome 🙂

tsbservice
06-15-2022, 07:05 PM
No jam or trouble code on the screen. Just a message to remove the jam, along with corresponding circled numbers to the jam location (10,11,14 etc). And no jam code gets logged into Jam History in Service Mode.

The reason for reboot eludes me. I take out the paper, close the door but the same jam screen remains displayed. After reboot it's fine.

Sometimes it will require not only to remove jammed paper but to open certain covers ie. bridge/relay unit of course if machine has finisher and so on. Reboot will reinitialize machine and you are ready to go.

emujo2
06-15-2022, 07:23 PM
I'm dittoing the paper path sensor somewhere being dirty or faulty..The fault codes are captured in service mode regardless of how the machine is configured to recover or display them..There may also be some clues in the job log..deleted by user, deleted due to power cycle, I think it will even tell you if the door was opened during printing..The jam is not able to clear simply by removing the paper and only a power cycle will do the job..I don't remember if you said these were print, copy or both doing this. E

92DodgeDynasty
06-15-2022, 09:10 PM
Thanks all, feel free to drop in any thoughts as they come to you.

I am going back, since I ordered the interlock switch. I will definitely check out the duplex door sensor and print out an MML.

It jams prints or copies, any cassette.

Here is just a photo of the screen and no corresponding jam code on the screen or in the history.

allan
06-16-2022, 12:02 AM
Does it jam single sided or only double sided? Does it always show the same locations even if you use tray 1, 2 or the bypass?

Does it pass any paper? What happens if you remove the paper dust cleaned and close the side door?

copyman
06-16-2022, 01:03 AM
Just for the record I haven't replaced an interlock switch in over 20 years so sorry to say I don't think that's your problem.

tsbservice
06-16-2022, 07:39 AM
Just for the record I haven't replaced an interlock switch in over 20 years so sorry to say I don't think that's your problem.
+1 on that although I don't have your vast experience with KM, never had even to thought about changing interlock switch on KonMin office machine.

allan
06-16-2022, 07:55 AM

+1 on that although I don't have your vast experience with KM, never had even to thought about changing interlock switch on KonMin office machine.

True and true. But i have had this kind of issue with finisher doors bridge doors and front doors opening while running.

techsxge
06-16-2022, 08:12 AM
Hello guys,

I am hoping your brains and any good will my modest contribution has made can help me in my predicament.

For starters, I am not a Konica tech, nonetheless I have a machine to service. I have the manual but no access to Knowledge Base, firmware or tech support.

I have a 654e with frequent jams up the right side door. No crunching of paper & not always in the same place. What's odd is the jams are not being recorded in the Jam History section of the Service Mode. And after all the paper is cleared, I need to reboot the machine to get rid of the jam message on the screen. There are also no Trouble Codes recorded.

I forced a tray jam by poorly loading paper and it does record those jams.

I forced the door open during operation and it doesn't record those type of jams.

So I am thinking I have an electrical issue, perhaps a door interlock switch. What leads me away from the door interlock is that I have to reboot the machine to clear the jam message. I'd think a flaky interlock would reset after a few good door closings.

So that's that. If you need any more info I will try my best to provide it.

Have you done a trouble reset yet?

Gift
06-16-2022, 08:59 AM
jam + reboot, might have been triggered by a bad print job IIRC

92DodgeDynasty
06-16-2022, 08:51 PM
User tmmdmmm (https://www.copytechnet.com/forums/members/tmmdmmm.html) was correct! And thank you all for your help.

I actually got very lucky today. When I went to print out the Management List, as instructed, the machine went haywire and flashed repeatedly to close a door. If you look close at the video you can see it's telling me to close the duplex door.

And sure enough, the door sensor was caked in paper dust. Cleaned it up and presto.

Door Open - YouTube (https://youtube.com/shorts/215C0-d9tWo?feature=share) Sorry it's in portrait mode!

allan
06-16-2022, 09:39 PM
User tmmdmmm (https://www.copytechnet.com/forums/members/tmmdmmm.html) was correct! And thank you all for your help.

I actually got very lucky today. When I went to print out the Management List, as instructed, the machine went haywire and flashed repeatedly to close a door. If you look close at the video you can see it's telling me to close the duplex door.

And sure enough, it was caked in paper dust. Cleaned it up and presto.

Door Open - YouTube (https://youtube.com/shorts/215C0-d9tWo?feature=share) Sorry it's in portrait mode!

Weird...

Good job. Was suspecting the duplex door. Glad it got resolved.

copyman
06-16-2022, 11:02 PM
Good to know and thanks for following up. This is one I will "try" and put into my old brains memory bank. I still have around 10 of this model I service so might just go ahead and clean that duplex sensor when there for something else.

If you didn't already you may want to give tmmdmmm a positive Rep Power point. click on star at bottom of his post. (https://www.copytechnet.com/forums/members/tmmdmmm.html)

blackcat4866
06-17-2022, 12:27 AM

And sure enough, the door sensor was caked in paper dust. Cleaned it up and presto.

Thanks for documenting so well, and posting back with the solution! =^..^=

tmmdmmm
06-17-2022, 03:02 AM

Glad my days of pain working through this same issue helped!

Custom Search