PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous KM and Gmail/Office 365

Custom Search

emujo2
06-17-2022, 06:50 PM
We have had 1000s of these "cant scan to email" calls..I wanted to offer some help if needed..

In an nutshell Gmail has decided that basic authentication is not secure enough and wants all (non enterprise) users to enable 2FA and generate an App Password..The new APP password is usually the only think in the copier that needs to be changed. However , older devices that have been sitting there, fat dumb and happy for the last 10 years are also failing..What I have found is that in many of these older machines (423, 203, C452 ect)..The moment you go into admin mode the SSL cert shows weak and the connection fails, so you can't make the changes needed..DO NOT Start out with a HDD format..instead (and I've only tested this with Firefox), open a new browser window..type about:config...This will open a search window, type TLS and change the minimum TLS level from 4 to 1, this drops the TLS level requirement and will allow you to get into pagescope admin mode. Depending on the model, a firmware update might add TLS 1.2 but that's up to you to research and update. Once you have changed the APP password, logout and change the browser config TLS setting back to 4 (1.2 minimum level). If anyone wants to add the Edge and Chrome config process please do so..I tried the edge recommendation, but could not find any TLS entries. Edit...And BTW, the customer should be paying for this service (IMHO) if they refused to add any network support to their contract, but that is an argument for another thread..E

SalesServiceGuy
06-17-2022, 08:53 PM
... whenever possible I change the customer to a free SMTP2GO: Reliable & Scalable Email Delivery Service (http://www.smtp2go.com) account. Limited to 1,000 emails per month.

Myself I spend $10.00 per month with smtp2go to allow 10,000 customer emails per month to pass through their server. Easy to configure and I cannot see the content of the customer's emails.

Via Windows Quick Assist or TeamViewer, I can complete the task in 10 minutes remotely.

... and yes, it should be billable labor if the customer insists they want their emails to flow through a Gmail server.

A security change on Google's part is not the fault of the copier.

Whenever in doubt if you should invoice or not ask yourself "what would Xerox do in this situation?"

adecanmin
06-17-2022, 10:46 PM
... whenever possible I change the customer to a free SMTP2GO: Reliable & Scalable Email Delivery Service (http://www.smtp2go.com) account. Limited to 1,000 emails per month.

Myself I spend $10.00 per month with smtp2go to allow 10,000 customer emails per month to pass through their server. Easy to configure and I cannot see the content of the customer's emails.

Via Windows Quick Assist or TeamViewer, I can complete the task in 10 minutes remotely.

... and yes, it should be billable labor if the customer insists they want their emails to flow through a Gmail server.

Whenever in doubt if you should invoice or not ask yourself "what would Xerox do in this situation?"
Do you charge them to use your smtp account or is included in your service plan?

adecanmin
06-17-2022, 10:48 PM
The cheapest I see is 25 per month. You must get a special rate

SalesServiceGuy
06-17-2022, 10:58 PM
The cheapest I see is 25 per month. You must get a special rate

... just move the slider at the top of the home page down to 10,000 emails per month = $10.00 per month.

... I noticed for $15.00 per month your clients can send up to 40,000 emails per month.

SalesServiceGuy
06-17-2022, 11:00 PM
Do you charge them to use your smtp account or is included in your service plan?

... for me, the peace of mind about not having to deal with scan to email issues is worth $10.00 per month. I do not charge any usage fees.

techsxge
06-19-2022, 02:14 PM

Say that this issue doesnt exist and come up with a fix 8 years later?

Custom Search