PDA

View Full Version : bizhub PRESS C1060 multiple codes/symptoms

Custom Search

blackcat4866
06-21-2022, 09:52 PM
OK, I've got it sorted I think. I'm just trying to match up the codes and symptoms with solutions. I haven't seen this machine a year or more and a lot of things have happened since then.

So it started with C2455 and C2221 (yellow high toner density & primary transfer shift error). About half of the yellow developer was gone (replaced with toner). I'm guessing that if the primary transfer rollers weren't shifting properly, the machine produced poorly transferred yellow patches, and compensated by enriching the yellow developer (maybe sucked out some of that yellow developer). I could see where the doctor blade height had been changed ... the other developing units were at 0.711mm doctor blade height, so I set the yellow doctor blade to that height, but that didn't restore the missing developer. PS50 & PS51 were clean (I've seen them buried in toner before, usually when the transfer cleaner fails).

While I was cleaning out the cloud of yellow toner & cleaning the patch sensors I noticed that the imaging drawer would not completely close (~4mm short of closing). I've seen it on Toshibas before, but not on a bizhub. After a bunch of trial & error removing units I determined that the C/M/K drums fit too tightly on the drum shafts, not letting it close. With the imaging drawer completely off, the Y drum fits smoothly on all of the drum shafts. The C/M/K drums would not fit on any of the drum shafts ... about 0.5mm too small (~14.85mm). Lubrication didn't help. Maybe they're the wrong drum units but they look like the right units. A few seconds with the curved file opened up the rear drum hole until it slid smoothly onto the drum shaft. Maybe the drawer not closing accounts for a poor electrical connection at the primary transfer belt assembly modular connector? Poor connection to PS50/PS51 or the shift motor?

I also noticed that the drum blade locking screws were still in the Y/M/K drum units. I really don't know where this fits into the picture.

It's back together now and I get a C2456 (magenta high toner density). I was able to run some +128 test pattern #1, and depleted the magenta of some of that excess toner. I has stayed gone, so I'm going to assume that to be part of that primary transfer shift issue. There seems to be adequate developer coverage on the developing roller.

I was able to get some prints at this point. No surprise ... poor yellow developing. I don't really trust the doctor blade adjustment, so I'm ordering yellow dev unit & developer. There are other consumables in need of replacing, but I want to get the major issues straightened out first.

Today I installed Y developer unit and developer, Y & C drums, (4) primary charge units. Developer stirred fine. Auto gamma ran fine. Auto color calibration failed with very high skew values Y: +191, M: +190, C: +95. Codes to C4505 (yellow excessive skew). The manual points to PRCB, Y laser, and transfer belt unit. I happen to have a used transfer belt assy for diagnostics, and boy an I happy when I get skews of Y: +0.1, M: +0.1, and C: +0.1

Am I attributing that all properly? Where have i gone wrong? =^..^=

wjurls
06-22-2022, 06:36 PM
OK, I've got it sorted I think. I'm just trying to match up the codes and symptoms with solutions. I haven't seen this machine a year or more and a lot of things have happened since then.

So it started with C2455 and C2221 (yellow high toner density & primary transfer shift error). About half of the yellow developer was gone (replaced with toner). I'm guessing that if the primary transfer rollers weren't shifting properly, the machine produced poorly transferred yellow patches, and compensated by enriching the yellow developer (maybe sucked out some of that yellow developer). I could see where the doctor blade height had been changed ... the other developing units were at 0.711mm doctor blade height, so I set the yellow doctor blade to that height, but that didn't restore the missing developer. PS50 & PS51 were clean (I've seen them buried in toner before, usually when the transfer cleaner fails).

While I was cleaning out the cloud of yellow toner & cleaning the patch sensors I noticed that the imaging drawer would not completely close (~4mm short of closing). I've seen it on Toshibas before, but not on a bizhub. After a bunch of trial & error removing units I determined that the C/M/K drums fit too tightly on the drum shafts, not letting it close. With the imaging drawer completely off, the Y drum fits smoothly on all of the drum shafts. The C/M/K drums would not fit on any of the drum shafts ... about 0.5mm too small (~14.85mm). Lubrication didn't help. Maybe they're the wrong drum units but they look like the right units. A few seconds with the curved file opened up the rear drum hole until it slid smoothly onto the drum shaft. Maybe the drawer not closing accounts for a poor electrical connection at the primary transfer belt assembly modular connector? Poor connection to PS50/PS51 or the shift motor?

I also noticed that the drum blade locking screws were still in the Y/M/K drum units. I really don't know where this fits into the picture.

It's back together now and I get a C2456 (magenta high toner density). I was able to run some +128 test pattern #1, and depleted the magenta of some of that excess toner. I has stayed gone, so I'm going to assume that to be part of that primary transfer shift issue. There seems to be adequate developer coverage on the developing roller.

I was able to get some prints at this point. No surprise ... poor yellow developing. I don't really trust the doctor blade adjustment, so I'm ordering yellow dev unit & developer. There are other consumables in need of replacing, but I want to get the major issues straightened out first.

Today I installed Y developer unit and developer, Y & C drums, (4) primary charge units. Developer stirred fine. Auto gamma ran fine. Auto color calibration failed with very high skew values Y: +191, M: +190, C: +95. Codes to C4505 (yellow excessive skew). The manual points to PRCB, Y laser, and transfer belt unit. I happen to have a used transfer belt assy for diagnostics, and boy an I happy when I get skews of Y: +0.1, M: +0.1, and C: +0.1

Am I attributing that all properly? Where have i gone wrong? =^..^=

"While I was cleaning out the cloud of yellow toner & cleaning the patch sensors I noticed that the imaging drawer would not completely close (~4mm short of closing). I've seen it on Toshibas before, but not on a bizhub. After a bunch of trial & error removing units I determined that the C/M/K drums fit too tightly on the drum shafts, not letting it close. With the imaging drawer completely off, the Y drum fits smoothly on all of the drum shafts. The C/M/K drums would not fit on any of the drum shafts ... about 0.5mm too small (~14.85mm). Lubrication didn't help. Maybe they're the wrong drum units but they look like the right units. A few seconds with the curved file opened up the rear drum hole until it slid smoothly onto the drum shaft. Maybe the drawer not closing accounts for a poor electrical connection at the primary transfer belt assembly modular connector? Poor connection to PS50/PS51 or the shift motor?"

This will always cause a C2221 error. There is nothing wrong with your transfer belt unit. There is actually a bulletin regarding drums not fitting properly. I had one direct mail customer that had this issue notoriously. I don't know what they were doing, but as you did, I could correct it with a small round file.

"Today I installed Y developer unit and developer, Y & C drums, (4) primary charge units. Developer stirred fine. Auto gamma ran fine. Auto color calibration failed with very high skew values Y: +191, M: +190, C: +95. Codes to C4505 (yellow excessive skew). The manual points to PRCB, Y laser, and transfer belt unit. I happen to have a used transfer belt assy for diagnostics, and boy an I happy when I get skews of Y: +0.1, M: +0.1, and C: +0.1"

This also happens frequently. You can reset the laser tilt position back to default in state confirmation mode by running 35-17(Y), 35-18(M), 35-19(C) . Then run auto registration again. If you continue to get the error check the color registration sensor and shutter.

blackcat4866
06-22-2022, 08:41 PM
... This also happens frequently. You can reset the laser tilt position back to default in state confirmation mode by running 35-17(Y), 35-18(M), 35-19(C) . Then run auto registration again. If you continue to get the error check the color registration sensor and shutter.

Thanks wjurls for confirming that. This is the first time I've seen those drums fit so snugly.

I did try the 35-17, 35-18, 35-19, several times ... and still got skew readings in the +190's, then C4505's AFTER the drum issue was resolved, so I can be pretty sure that the transfer belt unit played a factor in that one. The original belt did look pretty crappy, though it didn't have a lot of prints on it. I honestly was predicting a yellow laser ... and was quite happy that was not the case.

The patch sensors and and shutter had been cleaned & checked beforehand, and in the end did give me Auto Color Calibration readings all in the +0.1 range, so I'm going to assume that they're working for now. =^..^=

wjurls
06-22-2022, 10:15 PM
Thanks wjurls for confirming that. This is the first time I've seen those drums fit so snugly.

I did try the 35-17, 35-18, 35-19, several times ... and still got skew readings in the +190's, then C4505's AFTER the drum issue was resolved, so I can be pretty sure that the transfer belt unit played a factor in that one. The original belt did look pretty crappy, though it didn't have a lot of prints on it. I honestly was predicting a yellow laser ... and was quite happy that was not the case.

The patch sensors and and shutter had been cleaned & checked beforehand, and in the end did give me Auto Color Calibration readings all in the +0.1 range, so I'm going to assume that they're working for now. =^..^=

I have a current C4505 with one of my customers C2060's. Swapped sensor units with one of the C1060's and the calibration went without a hitch. Ordered sensor and return yesterday only to find out I ordered a density sensor and not the registration sensor :( At least fuel is cheap right?

blackcat4866
06-22-2022, 10:35 PM
I have a current C4505 with one of my customers C2060's. Swapped sensor units with one of the C1060's and the calibration went without a hitch. Ordered sensor and return yesterday only to find out I ordered a density sensor and not the registration sensor :( At least fuel is cheap right?

Oops!

I've had a few C-4521 situations solved by PS60/PS62. These were machines with significant numbers of prints though ... 15M+, and yes a few bent shutters. I remember one patch sensor that I could see the magenta toner under the lens, but couldn't do much about it.

Custom Search