PDA

View Full Version : Jamming c308 jams at ADF (code 66-05)

Custom Search

Elmojo
07-12-2022, 08:35 PM
So my office called today and said that any time they try to copy or scan from the ADF, it pulls the page partway in, then folds the original up "like a paper school fan", and jams. The error code is 66-05, and the diagram shows 25 and 22.
This has been checked multiple times and gives the same (or nearly) each time. Oddly, it does seem to complete the copy in most cases, although it's unreadable due to image smearing on the scan.
The machine has about 406K total clicks on the counter, and hasn't had any major service in a while. It's been a real workhorse!
It has received fairly frequent basic cleaning, in the form of our office manager blowing out dust with a can of compressed air. I just found out about that today. O.o
I work remotely now, and only get calls when something breaks. lol
Any idea where I should start looking for the problem? I don't have the svc manual for this particular machine.
I do have a couple photos of what it looks like when it jams, if anyone feels that would be helpful.
Thanks for any advice!

EDIT: I was just told that if pages are fed landscape (short edge first), then it works fine.
Sounds like a worn roller maybe? Just a guess, I'm sure this will all make perfect sense to one of you gurus. ;)

Woxner
07-12-2022, 09:28 PM
Chances are they have a staple,paperclip or have pulled the mylar backwards. they can shove a folder down through the top and push it all the way until it comes out the bottom.

Elmojo
07-12-2022, 09:45 PM
Chances are they have a staple,paperclip or have pulled the mylar backwards. they can shove a folder down through the top and push it all the way until it comes out the bottom.

I asked about foreign objects and they claim they've checked and all is clear. I haven't had a chance to check it myself.
If either of the things you mentioned were the case, wouldn't it still jam when they feed paper short edge first, or not necessarily?

tsbservice
07-12-2022, 11:21 PM
I asked about foreign objects and they claim they've checked and all is clear. I haven't had a chance to check it myself.
If either of the things you mentioned were the case, wouldn't it still jam when they feed paper short edge first, or not necessarily?

You really need to see that in place I never trust them completely. Charge them in case of staple, torn paper left and so.

femaster
07-13-2022, 12:32 AM

Not necessarily. If the obstruction in the paper path is near the front or rear (in relation to the machine, not the path), feeding it SEF is probably missing the obstruction. I'd just have them use it like that for now until you can get there. If the copier is set up correctly, it will auto rotate the image to fit the paper as it is in the drawers, so no other adjustments should be necessary.

JasonSBE
07-13-2022, 12:47 AM
If you're getting paper crinkled in the feeder it's going to be one of two things. Either there's an obstruction in the paper path as mentioned above.... paper clip, staple, bent guide, etc. Or the paper isn't pulling straight. Only way that's going to be happening is if the guides are not set correctly, or if the cover isn't closing properly.

blackcat4866
07-13-2022, 01:14 AM
Most 66-05 jams are caused by a dirty document read sensor ... on this DF it's PS4. Here's an illustration:

=^..^=

tmmdmmm
07-13-2022, 03:03 AM
Most 66-05 jams are caused by a dirty document read sensor ... on this DF it's PS4. Here's an illustration:

=^..^=

Yeah but this sensor or the pad being dirty will never damage the paper, itll stop the job with one sheet halfway out of the exit and another stopped just shy of the sensor. They're definitely looking at an obstruction, the mylar (almost looks like 5 mylars) that leads into the sensor has a tendency to get pulled backwards or have little cuts into it that can be cut off to an extent before needing to be replaced. Itll cause either 66-04 or 66-05 or 66-33 depending on where the nick is.

Still, that sensor is one of the top 3 things I absolutely make sure to clean in my minimum call. 5 seconds to avoid another drive out there

Elmojo
07-13-2022, 03:48 AM
Oh man, you guys are awesome as always!
I'll tell them I need to see it in person, and will start by looking for physical obstructions, dirty senors, and bent/broken/missing mylar guides. Sound like a decent starting plan?
Unfortunately, I work for the company, so I can't actually charge, but I will be on the clock, and I get paid for mileage, so... ;)

JasonSBE
07-13-2022, 05:06 AM
Oh man, you guys are awesome as always!
I'll tell them I need to see it in person, and will start by looking for physical obstructions, dirty senors, and bent/broken/missing mylar guides. Sound like a decent starting plan?
Unfortunately, I work for the company, so I can't actually charge, but I will be on the clock, and I get paid for mileage, so... ;)

Most likely you're going to find the answer with an obstruction. Feed a page portrait and watch where it crumples. If for some reason that isn't the issue, make sure the panels are closing evenly. Make sure there aren't any broken posts or anything that keep it from seating properly. I've never seen that on an ADF, only on the print side, but it can cause the pages to pull in a skewed manner, which can cause the paper to crumple and jam.

blackcat4866
07-13-2022, 02:56 PM
Here's a trick you can use for an obstructed paper path, that you cannot readily access (works in any kind of paper transporting machine):

Get yourself a sheet of heavy mylar or cardboard full width of the paper path, and roll it through the obstructed section of paper path. If it's a flipped mylar it may straighten it for you. If it's a stapled corner ripped off it may push it through. If it's a paper clip it may dislodge it or push it further down the paper path until it's reachable with hemostats. If it's silicone mailing glue dots or a self-adhesive label, you'll probably end up doing a complete disassembly, since they don't seem to want to come back off once they're stuck.

Let us know how it goes. =^..^=

Elmojo
07-13-2022, 03:36 PM
Here's a trick you can use ...

Fantastic info, thanks!
I believe Woxner mentioned something similar back towards the beginning of the thread, and I made a note to try that when I go.
I'm hoping that with all the great info I've received already, I'll be able to find something simple to fix. I'm happy to see that so far it's not sounding like it's likely to be a parts replacement situation. We're happy to spend money on this machine if necessary, since it's been such a workhorse for us, but that would mean more downtime, and another trip for me, so if I can sort it out in one, that would be awesome. :)

tech51
07-13-2022, 07:54 PM

=^..^=
As well as the sensor the black pad it looks at gets coated in paper dust eventually causing 6605 jams. I use a black marker pen on the pad to get them nice and black again. Do it on every call I go to on them.

tech51
07-13-2022, 08:01 PM
Here's a trick you can use for an obstructed paper path, that you cannot readily access (works in any kind of paper transporting machine):

Get yourself a sheet of heavy mylar or cardboard full width of the paper path, and roll it through the obstructed section of paper path. If it's a flipped mylar it may straighten it for you. If it's a stapled corner ripped off it may push it through. If it's a paper clip it may dislodge it or push it further down the paper path until it's reachable with hemostats. If it's silicone mailing glue dots or a self-adhesive label, you'll probably end up doing a complete disassembly, since they don't seem to want to come back off once they're stuck.

I had a label stuck in one once so I sprayed it with oil to loosen the glue and then managed to push it out with a piece of card.
It was a bit messy and took a bit of cleaning up but saved me a lot of time and screwdriver work.

Elmojo
07-13-2022, 08:02 PM
As well as the sensor the black pad it looks at gets coated in paper dust eventually causing 6605 jams. I use a black marker pen on the pad to get them nice and black again. Do it on every call I go to on them.

I'll definitely check this, but I don't think the sensor is our issue, since it works perfectly when fed SEF.
I assume that it would jam in both orientations if it was a sensor issue, since it's center-mounted, right?

blackcat4866
07-13-2022, 10:17 PM
I'll definitely check this, but I don't think the sensor is our issue, since it works perfectly when fed SEF.
I assume that it would jam in both orientations if it was a sensor issue, since it's center-mounted, right?

Correct. Sorry, I missed the detail about LEF versus SEF. =^..^=

Custom Search