PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Konica randomly printing jibbersih

Custom Search

BHM
07-13-2022, 11:36 PM
About 6 months ago, we got a call about a small Konica 4420 printing hundreds of pages of gibberish. Printed until it ran out of paper. This would continue to happen once every few weeks or so. Did the typical update print driver, firmware and even changed the ip address. Still happening.

Few weeks later, another customer calls in on a C308 doing the same thing. We did the updates there as well as the ip address. Still happening.

Few weeks later another machine started doing this. This time a C659.

All three continue to do this randomly every few weeks.

Today I get a call from another customer, this time it is a c250i.

Now I am getting a little perplexed. I have yet to see the job in a job log as the customers do not report the issue right away. I did enable the job logging on the C659 and will go in the morning to try and retrieve the log. It happened one day last week and they called about it this afternoon. Anybody else experiencing this recently?

blackcat4866
07-13-2022, 11:51 PM
Surely some kind of data is reaching the printer's IP. It's hard to say what sort of data, because non-print data will not be logged (no job name).

I suppose one way around it is to set up job accounting, "Do not Print" for jobs without authentication. All you really need is one job account code, enabled on all drivers and the machine.

Whatever data arrives at the machine will be ignored, regardless of the source. =^..^=

zayonc
07-14-2022, 09:44 AM
Such cases were associated with a virus on network computers

tsbservice
07-14-2022, 09:53 AM
I would start turning off all unused network protocols - IPV6, IPP, FTP, etc.

shinchan
07-14-2022, 09:55 AM
About 6 months ago, we got a call about a small Konica 4420 printing hundreds of pages of gibberish. Printed until it ran out of paper. This would continue to happen once every few weeks or so. Did the typical update print driver, firmware and even changed the ip address. Still happening.

Few weeks later, another customer calls in on a C308 doing the same thing. We did the updates there as well as the ip address. Still happening.

Now I am getting a little perplexed. I have yet to see the job in a job log as the customers do not report the issue right away. I did enable the job logging on the C659 and will go in the morning to try and retrieve the log. It happened one day last week and they called about it this afternoon. Anybody else experiencing this recently?

most likely someone adding new printer in their pc, but use wrong driver.

mloudy
07-14-2022, 01:14 PM
We had libraries in two different counties where their machines would do this. Mutliple models and mutiple locations. Their networks were wide open to the world. From our office we could actually open a browser and hit the web pages of the copiers/printers.

Russian hackers :) While we and their IT researched this we both found the same information on the internet that Russian hackers would remotely send print jobs of gibberish until the paper trays emptied. One library locked their network down while the other is still wide open.

emujo2
07-15-2022, 03:49 PM
Post a pic of the "jibberish"..Sometimes what you are seeing is what the PCL driver is interpreting from a true PS print stream. I would ask if they have any mainframe printing going on, crystal reports, any designers that might be sending something that the printer cannot understand. Usually this is a couple of rows of wing dings, followed by a mostly blank page and may be a row or 2 of the same wingdings at the bottom. E

jotunn
07-16-2022, 09:20 PM
Network management / monitoring software can do such things.

All network printers are printing gobblety-gook. Starts with GET /HTTP/1.0 (https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/515109-all-network-printers-are-printing-gobblety-gook-starts-with-get-http-1-0)

https://success.alienvault.com/s/question/0D50Z00008oGsT2SAK/va-triggering-ip-printer-to-print-out-pages-of-random-text

had a couple of network printers printout HTTP / 1.0/ GET HELP - what is this - Spiceworks General Support (https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/250248-had-a-couple-of-network-printers-printout-http-1-0-get-help-what-is-this)

zoool
07-16-2022, 09:43 PM
try to change dimm memory if you can. for me is problem with dimm memory. dimm can be inside the board and is not changeable

tsbservice
07-16-2022, 10:06 PM
try to change dimm memory if you can. for me is problem with dimm memory. dimm can be inside the board and is not changeable

Those are multiple and different models at different clients and network environments.
I have hard time imaging that's memory issue. Not saying anything is impossible just unlikely.

allan
07-16-2022, 11:44 PM
Set to account track with public access for copy and scan create a single account to print to and use that with all the printers that support account track.
Bet you that will stop that.

REGSIS
07-17-2022, 05:06 PM

Few years ago, exactly the same scenario, machine was bizhub C224.
IT guy left a laptop with wireshark to record network communication.
The cause of the problem was a PC which was not in the main office but in a distant one (600km away) and was connected ocasionally through VPN to the main office.
In that distant office they had a HP printer with the same IP address as C224 in the main office.

Since you changed the IP address maybe someone is printing with non-appropriate driver via WSD port.
Check DPWS settings under Administrator settings --> Network settings. Make sure Print function is disabled.

L0rdC
07-18-2022, 05:13 PM
I'm having problems these last few weeks with kyocera, print jobs arrive corrupted to the printers and saturate the memory, that random character problem is the typical driver problem, maybe a windows problem due to some update?

techsxge
07-18-2022, 06:07 PM
Have you installed any i-options?

allan
07-18-2022, 06:54 PM
Have you installed any i-options?

What is your thinking?

techsxge
07-18-2022, 07:38 PM
What is your thinking?
For example UK-204 would include "E-mail receipt print". They get an Email from whatever source and either give out the plain html code of the email header etc. or the email form is invalid for the MFP and just does some random letters.

After the OP has made sure it was no driver, firewall, double address, firmware, i'd go with the next "not needed" function in the machine that you could remove that does something with printing.

I realy want some pictures of those prints tho

emujo2
07-19-2022, 06:01 PM
Instead of continued guessing, wireshark/mirror the port..Look at the job log and compare the time the jibberish starts with what the wire shark captures..This will tell you the IP of the device sending the data..You might even be able to tell what type of data is being sent..If you are not familiar with this then simply hand it off to their IT (or use your own IT pros and bill), and say let me know when you figure it out. E

Master Sparkee
07-20-2022, 12:42 PM
We are seeing the same issue at several customer locations in the past few days. At this time it appears to be just USB connected devices. Thinking it may actually be a windows update issue rather than a virus or DOS attack. KB5015814 possibly. Came here looking for answers.

techsxge
07-20-2022, 01:08 PM
We are seeing the same issue at several customer locations in the past few days. At this time it appears to be just USB connected devices. Thinking it may actually be a windows update issue rather than a virus or DOS attack. KB5015814 possibly. Came here looking for answers.
Would you kind scanning one of those documents or take a photo of them and share here? I service more than 1000 machines and have not seen or heard of this ever but you lot on here realy make me nervous

Master Sparkee
07-20-2022, 01:47 PM
Would you kind scanning one of those documents or take a photo of them and share here? I service more than 1000 machines and have not seen or heard of this ever but you lot on here realy make me nervous

It's the typical wingdings-wrong driver-print until the machine runs out of paper scenario you have most likely seen 1000 times by now?

After more research on Windows forum it is an OS system update that is causing the problem. The only fix seems to be a windows OS system restore (out of scope for most copier companies). You can read more at Redirecting (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-update-kb5014666-usb-printer-not/d4249177-afef-4a18-87d9-e5105506e9c0)

Not only are USB ports disappearing in the device manager but some printers are spewing garbage the moment you plug the cable in without even installing a printer or driver. Going to be a long week I think. Good luck to you and yours

techsxge
07-20-2022, 02:03 PM
It's the typical wingdings-wrong driver-print until the machine runs out of paper scenario you have most likely seen 1000 times by now?

After more research on Windows forum it is an OS system update that is causing the problem. The only fix seems to be a windows OS system restore (out of scope for most copier companies). You can read more at Redirecting (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-update-kb5014666-usb-printer-not/d4249177-afef-4a18-87d9-e5105506e9c0)

Not only are USB ports disappearing in the device manager but some printers are spewing garbage the moment you plug the cable in without even installing a printer or driver. Going to be a long week I think. Good luck to you and yours
No, i have not seen this isssue anytime because i usually setup a linux based printserver that handles all printjobs.

kingarthur
07-20-2022, 04:44 PM

The amount of times I've seen on computers the box that says "Let windows mange my default printer " ticked.....that's just asking for trouble, it's the 1st thing I get customers to check, when anything weird suddenly happens.....

femaster
07-21-2022, 02:02 AM

It generally looks similar to the junk on the pages in this image...
https://content.spiceworksstatic.com/service.community/p/post_images/0000383974/5dfd2ed0/attached_image/20191220_132021.jpg

copier tech
07-21-2022, 07:54 AM
Each time I have seen this recently it has been caused my a Windows 11 device installing the generic driver on a WSD port.

Try disabling WSD printing.

Configuring the WSD printing environment (https://kmbsmanuals.konicaminolta.us/bizhubC750iSection508/contents/id08-_104679255.html#p1439)

Gift
07-21-2022, 10:38 AM
Yes WSD = fun guarantee

Luckily many or most KM devices seem to have it disabled by default (unlike Ricoh) - nowaydays this should be checked and if needed disabled during pre-install.

Custom Search