PDA

View Full Version : Bizhub C454e with K Imaging issues

Custom Search

JasonSBE
07-14-2022, 06:39 PM
This is an odd one for me. Customer put in service request stating that machine was giving them poor image quality. I had them print the built-in demo page and send an image to me. The black portion of the image was not being put on the paper, instead there was some residue on the page that looked like developer. I grabbed a brand new IU-512K and DR-512k and went to the site. TCR density for CMY were all in the expected range, but K was a 0.00%. Replaced the drum and developer as a set(Drum was at end of life, and I've seen issues where these machines will bleed out a developer if you have an old drum, so I figured it was worth doing). Printed some test patterns, and the image was very light. TCR density read normal.

I decided to take the machine back to my shop to work on it. First thing I did was try another developing unit. This time I pulled one out of another machine. Print quality was good, but TCR density showed very high.... like almost 19%. Naturally, the machine coded out every 20 pages or so. I ran some full density half tones to see if the level would drop and the machine would level out, but by the time the TCR sensor was detecting density down to around 12% copy quality was awful. Next thing I tried was changing out the board the developers plug into(A7PUH00500 FRB Board). Flashed the firmware to latest base, and still having the same issues.

Never seen anything like this issue, was hoping for some insite.

techsxge
07-14-2022, 08:30 PM
This is an odd one for me. Customer put in service request stating that machine was giving them poor image quality. I had them print the built-in demo page and send an image to me. The black portion of the image was not being put on the paper, instead there was some residue on the page that looked like developer. I grabbed a brand new IU-512K and DR-512k and went to the site. TCR density for CMY were all in the expected range, but K was a 0.00%. Replaced the drum and developer as a set(Drum was at end of life, and I've seen issues where these machines will bleed out a developer if you have an old drum, so I figured it was worth doing). Printed some test patterns, and the image was very light. TCR density read normal.

I decided to take the machine back to my shop to work on it. First thing I did was try another developing unit. This time I pulled one out of another machine. Print quality was good, but TCR density showed very high.... like almost 19%. Naturally, the machine coded out every 20 pages or so. I ran some full density half tones to see if the level would drop and the machine would level out, but by the time the TCR sensor was detecting density down to around 12% copy quality was awful. Next thing I tried was changing out the board the developers plug into(A7PUH00500 FRB Board). Flashed the firmware to latest base, and still having the same issues.

If you stop the machine mid-rpint, can you get a perfectly fine image on the transfer belt unit?
If not, then your issue might be the toner itself (Aftermarket?) not being able to be fixed by the fusing unit. If it is bad there already, then you might just have a feeding problem

techsxge
07-14-2022, 08:54 PM
Thinking about it before i wanted to sleep, this sounds more like an issue with the PH / Laser Unit. I'd just replace it to be honest

Woxner
07-14-2022, 09:08 PM
replace the hv pwb known to cause this. also ck transfer belt to make sure roller is not broken (end joint) i have seen these not touch the drum. are you gettin the banding from dev unit.

JasonSBE
07-14-2022, 09:38 PM
I tried replacing the HV board shortly after making this post. No change. I don't think it's the transfer belt because when I put the used developer unit in the machine(when it showed 19% density in the state confirmation tcr history) the image was actually quite normal. Once the level started to drop closer to the normal range, the image gradually got lighter and lighter. For this reason I don't think it could be the PH, either.

Edit:

After replacing the HV board, I also changed the Printer control board. Same result.

Synthohol
07-14-2022, 09:49 PM
check the transfer belt like Woxner suggested.

JasonSBE
07-14-2022, 10:37 PM
I'm not sure how the transfer belt would cause the TCR sensor to show such a high reading in the developing unit but I will check it 1st thing whenever I get to the office in the morning. Thanks. Any other suggestions for anyone?

copyman
07-14-2022, 11:03 PM
Really strange all of a sudden there are weird quality issues. 2 machines in same week showing "0"% toner levels. All the 4 series I've worked on and maybe seen it one time. I've seen the level history low when dev dumped but never "0" !! Is it coincidental this is happening since the Kon/Min toner shortage and having no choice but to use aftermarket toners? Or even if genuine toners did Kon/Min have to resort to using crap toner? Something just doesn't add up with all these weird quality issues!!!

JasonSBE
07-14-2022, 11:16 PM
Really strange all of a sudden there are weird quality issues. 2 machines in same week showing "0"% toner levels. All the 4 series I've worked on and maybe seen it one time. I've seen the level history low when dev dumped but never "0" !! Is it coincidental this is happening since the Kon/Min toner shortage and having no choice but to use aftermarket toners? Or even if genuine toners did Kon/Min have to resort to using crap toner? Something just doesn't add up with all these weird quality issues!!!

I thought about that too because we have had to buy some non-oem toners to deal with supply chain issues, and I saw said toners decimate another c454e we had on the field, but this machine is very low volume of use, and all the toners in it were OEM from before the shortages. I should also note that right before I shut down for the day I tried swapping out the toner subhopper assembly just in case it wasn't replenishing properly. Didn't change anything.

tsbservice
07-14-2022, 11:33 PM
I thought about that too because we have had to buy some non-oem toners to deal with supply chain issues, and I saw said toners decimate another c454e we had on the field, but this machine is very low volume of use, and all the toners in it were OEM from before the shortages. I should also note that right before I shut down for the day I tried swapping out the toner subhopper assembly just in case it wasn't replenishing properly. Didn't change anything.

I'm afraid at this situation you may be pointing at MFPB replacement..

tmmdmmm
07-15-2022, 05:05 AM
How is the hopper working? I stupidly forgot to plug in the K motor after replacing a fan and within 2 days got a call for 2557, TCR 0.00. Plugged the motor back in and manual add toner, brought it up to normal.
The front board is detecting TCR, proven by the replacement dev (although it was abnormally high) and you already ruled out the HV

JasonSBE
07-16-2022, 04:18 PM
Wasn't the transfer belt. Wasn't the MFP board. Already tried replacing the sub-hopper. I'm just about out of ideas at this point. Don't really feel like I'm troubleshooting, just throwing parts at the problem. Not a fan of that philosophy.

techsxge
07-16-2022, 07:12 PM
Wasn't the transfer belt. Wasn't the MFP board. Already tried replacing the sub-hopper. I'm just about out of ideas at this point. Don't really feel like I'm troubleshooting, just throwing parts at the problem. Not a fan of that philosophy.
Have you cleaned the machine out of toner and tried a different toner bottle?
Check if the image is fine on the transfer belt when interrupting the print process. Usually about half a second after you hear the machine taking out paper from tray you just open front lid or side lid and then take out transfer belt. Given that you already changed the transfer belt, it could be the transfer roll or the fusing unit.

Could we maybe get a picture of the printed image?

tmmdmmm
07-16-2022, 07:33 PM
Have you cleaned the machine out of toner and tried a different toner bottle?
Check if the image is fine on the transfer belt when interrupting the print process. Usually about half a second after you hear the machine taking out paper from tray you just open front lid or side lid and then take out transfer belt. Given that you already changed the transfer belt, it could be the transfer roll or the fusing unit.

Don't think so, if its only affecting K and the TCR is all out of whack I can't see it being anything belt or after. With imaging; Toner, Hopper/Motor, Dev, Drum. You ruled all 4 of those out. With electrical Dev, FRB, Printer Control Board, harness between them.
TCR Sensor K is CN13 on the FRB, but doesn't have a specific out to the PRCB. CN3 does include DV_K_Detect which goes to CN9 on the PRCB.

I would say PRCB, but 1) you already tried it and 2) it doesn't seem like a detection issue. That does leave imaging. As @techsxge mentioned it could also be unrelated to the developer being refilled. PH, hvb.

You've hit literally all of these marks short of specifically saying whether or not you stabngrad or checked the IDC sensors, and you mentioned toner was OEM.

I'm stumped.....

A scan of Demo page and CMYK halftones at 111 and 255 might shed some light, but I think you explained it well enough.

tsbservice
07-16-2022, 08:33 PM

Absolutely. You've changed everything but pulling the trigger until you run out of bullets isn't really good troubleshooting. Like tmmdmmm said we're stumped but nevertheless never give up.
At this point I would distance from throwing parts into machine and start from the beginning - theory of operation is good starting point. I'm positive you will resolve it :)

techsxge
07-16-2022, 08:41 PM
Don't think so, if its only affecting K and the TCR is all out of whack I can't see it being anything belt or after. With imaging; Toner, Hopper/Motor, Dev, Drum. You ruled all 4 of those out. With electrical Dev, FRB, Printer Control Board, harness between them.
TCR Sensor K is CN13 on the FRB, but doesn't have a specific out to the PRCB. CN3 does include DV_K_Detect which goes to CN9 on the PRCB.

I would say PRCB, but 1) you already tried it and 2) it doesn't seem like a detection issue. That does leave imaging. As @techsxge mentioned it could also be unrelated to the developer being refilled. PH, hvb.

You've hit literally all of these marks short of specifically saying whether or not you stabngrad or checked the IDC sensors, and you mentioned toner was OEM.

I'm stumped.....

A scan of Demo page and CMYK halftones at 111 and 255 might shed some light, but I think you explained it well enough.

I know that it most likely wont be anything after the transfer belt. I just want to realy make sure that there is nothing behind it causing issues that is why i usually do this step with interrupting the print if the problem is not clearly visible on the drum or dev. This way i can be rule out transfer belt and everything after it within 30 seconds i get to a new machine.
Different Halftone Patterns at low and high density might also help.

Can someone maybe PM me the Service Manual for the machine?
I am currently on Vacation and have not uploaded Service Manuals to my Cloud yet

tsbservice
07-16-2022, 08:42 PM
Please, for better understanding can you upload MML and halftones at 30 and 255 plus bird page?

kingarthur
07-18-2022, 08:17 AM
this may not explain the TCR level, but have you checked that the KDV unit is turning, i've had the drive gear fail on the main drive unit often - resulting in no K print on the page

L0rdC
07-18-2022, 05:04 PM
I have seen that problem in a 654e B/W, it marked 0.00 in TCR and ejected the developer, changing the development unit for a completely new one solved the problem, the TCR controller board was from another printer? the old controller board works fine in another printer? Is there developer in the waste toner bottle?

JasonSBE
07-18-2022, 05:32 PM
So I managed to get a healthy bizhub C454 that I can use to test against the one that is giving me problems. I took the brand new developing unit out of the problematic machine and put it in the known good machine. Before I swapped the units, I checked level 1 history on the problematic machine, this is what I found...

The TCR Level for K was showing 7.71%, but the image was so light that it was presenting as if there was little to no toner in the developer.

The good machine was showing the following...

K Density at 5.8%. Image quality was as expected.

After swapping the developers, the known good machine showed a TCR density of 0.00%. I ran the manual toner add routine a couple of times and the density got up to an acceptable level. Print quality was good.

The problematic machine showed the TCR density up over 19%

All of the warnings for the stabilizer failing and for the IDC sensors went away. However, the machine will code out due to abnormally high density and will not add toner so the issue will not be resolved. I don't know what other components could be causing the machine to read such a faulty TCR density level. I put in a ticket with Konica and covered all the parts that have been replaced and all the troubleshooting that has been done. All they could come with was to replace some of the connectors on the HV board(Specifically the HV and DV contacts).

L0rdC
07-18-2022, 05:44 PM
So I managed to get a healthy bizhub C454 that I can use to test against the one that is giving me problems. I took the brand new developing unit out of the problematic machine and put it in the known good machine. Before I swapped the units, I checked level 1 history on the problematic machine, this is what I found...

The TCR Level for K was showing 7.71%, but the image was so light that it was presenting as if there was little to no toner in the developer.

The good machine was showing the following...

K Density at 5.8%. Image quality was as expected.

After swapping the developers, the known good machine showed a TCR density of 0.00%. I ran the manual toner add routine a couple of times and the density got up to an acceptable level. Print quality was good.

The problematic machine showed the TCR density up over 19%

All of the warnings for the stabilizer failing and for the IDC sensors went away. However, the machine will code out due to abnormally high density and will not add toner so the issue will not be resolved. I don't know what other components could be causing the machine to read such a faulty TCR density level. I put in a ticket with Konica and covered all the parts that have been replaced and all the troubleshooting that has been done. All they could come with was to replace some of the connectors on the HV board(Specifically the HV and DV contacts).

Did you change the HV board on the left of the machine? try to change it, a technician once told me that the controller board and TCR were related and that he had had reading problems as is happening to you

JasonSBE
07-18-2022, 05:54 PM
Did you change the HV board on the left of the machine? try to change it, a technician once told me that the controller board and TCR were related and that he had had reading problems as is happening to you

The board on the left side? Do you mean the DC power supply? I have not changed that but I was considering it.

L0rdC
07-18-2022, 06:14 PM
The board on the left side? Do you mean the DC power supply? I have not changed that but I was considering it.

PH board, sorry...

tmmdmmm
07-18-2022, 06:21 PM
PH board, sorry...

Reading the theory again I can't see how this would be the case, but we are in the F around stage. I'd try that and the PH one at a time since the PH was not swapped

romario
07-18-2022, 06:36 PM

Hello, I have had these problems several times, 1) that the black toner does not stick to the paper, this is a toner problem to repair, I had to empty the entire hopper CHANGE TONER, change developer, 2) when I try to exchange the unit of developed by another machine, the reading reached 16%, what I did was put the same reader of the revaldo unit... the first thing I would do in your case is to empty the hopper, change the toner, change the developer because it is already contaminated and you will see that it will work for you

https://www.copytechnet.com/forums/image/png;base64,iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAABQAAAAUCAQAAAA ngNWGAAAA/0lEQVR4AYXNMSiEcRyA4cfmGHQbCZIipkuxnJgMStlMNmeyD2d wmc8 sZgxYJd9ErIZFHUyYYD7fkr6l4/rnvmtl7 KitrqV/fq2Y5eLY3Z9S48eRLe7BmVZ9qhTLhQ0algzZWQOVKSsCF8OjAn wbxDTWFDUhPK/jMr1H6HE/IqRky2DyvCefuwItwZzodVoYRiLqMkVCXrwpJ9twZ sgfDYEFYl8wIWxZ9uFf7zkallxlJh4YrLGsKjZRx7VGHhLqwgF UN45DGdb8MeXGpgB4ABZdeDcpZEY51A hyLKz4S1W4MQWm3AibWtgWmk6dyISa1pSdyWTOlLXVp0 eL9D/ZPfBTNanAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

JasonSBE
07-18-2022, 07:30 PM
PH board, sorry...

Is that the little board with the two ribbon cables going to it? I just replaced the DC power supply followed by that board. Same issues.......

tsbservice
07-18-2022, 07:38 PM
Is that the little board with the two ribbon cables going to it? I just replaced the DC power supply followed by that board. Same issues.......

You continue erroneous troubleshooting... anyway good luck with that.

techsxge
07-18-2022, 07:42 PM
You continue erroneous troubleshooting... anyway good luck with that.
I mean as long as he earns enough to not ruin his company, who cares? If he sends them back to KM what he took out the machines we get some great B-Ware soon

techsxge
07-18-2022, 07:43 PM
I still vouch for the fusing unit.

REASON: Its not the Drum, its not the Developer. Its not the Transfer Unit. Op changed multiple boards that would somehow control printing. The only thing that could still affect Image is Fusing Unit. Or Toner bottle.

You can check very easily if i am right: Do some prints. Is it still worse? Fusing Unit / Toner. Is it better? Scanner.

tmmdmmm
07-18-2022, 08:05 PM
I still vouch for the fusing unit.

REASON: Its not the Drum, its not the Developer. Its not the Transfer Unit. Op changed multiple boards that would somehow control printing. The only thing that could still affect Image is Fusing Unit. Or Toner bottle.

You can check very easily if i am right: Do some prints. Is it still worse? Fusing Unit / Toner. Is it better? Scanner.

His last post with the two machines and TCR values prove its a detection issue, I'm just not sure why at this point The image quality is purely a biproduct of the detection issue.

Machine 1 Dev 1: Shows TCR 7.71 despite realistically being 0%.
Machine 2 Dev 2: Shows TCR as 5.8 which is correct

Machine 1 Dev 2: Shows TCR 19% despite being 5.8
Machine 2 Dev 1: Shows TCR as 0%, which is correct.

Machine 1 is not properly detecting is actual TCR

But it's still a 5 minute test, go ahead and entertain the fuser route

JasonSBE
07-18-2022, 08:20 PM
It's not the fuser. The image looks the same before it goes into the fusing section.

tmmdmmm
07-19-2022, 03:00 AM
It's not the fuser. The image looks the same before it goes into the fusing section.

If you can confirm everything below to start fresh:

Problem:

Machine 1 is not properly detecting its actual TCR, the IQ issues are purely a biproduct of this issue.

Attempts:

Swapped out with a brand new Developer AND Drum
Swapped out with a used developer
Swapped Front Board
Latest Base Firmware
Replaced HV
Replaced SubHopper/Supply Motor
Replaced PRCB
Replaced MFPB
Toner is OEM but has not been replaced
Replaced DCPU and PH board

Konica says to replace the HV and DV Contacts
@Romario says contaminated toner; clean hopper and replace toner and developer, but based on the abnormally high TCR readings of the non-contaminated Dev I don't believe thats the case.

Wiring:
I've never had to do this, but Id try metering Pin 5 on CN13,14,15,16 (Front board) and seeing if 13 Matches the rest. You might have to cheat the front door and wtb, but im not sure. They should all be 3.3v. Likewise Pin 4 for all is TCR, and Pin 2 is Area Detect without set voltages in the diagram. Id double check that the various pins on CN13 matches 14/15/16 (Realistically this shouldn't matter, the Dev includes the cabling and you've replaced the FRB which does the processing)

That Area detect then goes from CN3 Pin 9(Y) 10(M) 11(C) 12(K) to PRCB CN9 Pin 8(Y) 7(M) 6(C) 5(K). Check that there's no loss between CN3 on the FRB and CN9 on the PRCB. Likewise, CN2 on the FRB and CN8 on the PRCB seems to have all of the processing from the FRB (This part is more important, especially CN2 to CN8)

"Proven" by both developers it seems like your machine is overly sensitive to the readings from the TCR sensor; its reporting a higher percentage regardless of which developer is there. The theory doesn't go into voltages for the TCR sensor, so I'd

1: double check that there's no loss/gain between the the FRB and PRCB, the two cables are well routed so it'll probably be faster to meter all the readings than replace),
and
2: replace the ribbon cable/other connectors between the PRCB and MFPB

Konica's recommendation is okay but expect ship times. I've never had luck with their calls unless I borrow a supervisors tech number to get their actual useful team of only 3-4 people, and considering the HV contacts don't come into play until putting toner on paper I think its one of the instances we're they're just guessing as much as us

techsxge
07-19-2022, 07:04 AM

Problem:

Machine 1 is not properly detecting its actual TCR, the IQ issues are purely a biproduct of this issue.

Attempts:

Swapped Front Board
Latest Base Firmware
Replaced HV
Replaced PRCB
Replaced MFPB

@Romario says contaminated toner; clean hopper and replace toner and developer, but based on the abnormally high TCR readings of the non-contaminated Dev I don't believe thats the case.

Wiring:
I've never had to do this, but Id try metering Pin 5 on CN13,14,15,16 (Front board) and seeing if 13 Matches the rest. You might have to cheat the front door and wtb, but im not sure. They should all be 3.3v. Likewise Pin 4 for all is TCR, and Pin 2 is Area Detect without set voltages in the diagram. Id double check that the various pins on CN13 matches 14/15/16 (Realistically this shouldn't matter, the Dev includes the cabling and you've replaced the FRB which does the processing)

That Area detect then goes from CN3 Pin 9(Y) 10(M) 11(C) 12(K) to PRCB CN9 Pin 8(Y) 7(M) 6(C) 5(K). Check that there's no loss between CN3 on the FRB and CN9 on the PRCB. Likewise, CN2 on the FRB and CN8 on the PRCB seems to have all of the processing from the FRB (This part is more important, especially CN2 to CN8)

"Proven" by both developers it seems like your machine is overly sensitive to the readings from the TCR sensor; its reporting a higher percentage regardless of which developer is there. The theory doesn't go into voltages for the TCR sensor, so I'd

1: double check that there's no loss/gain between the the FRB and PRCB, the two cables are well routed so it'll probably be faster to meter all the readings than replace),
and

Konica's recommendation is okay but expect ship times. I've never had luck with their calls unless I borrow a supervisors tech number to get their actual useful team of only 3-4 people, and considering the HV contacts don't come into play until putting toner on paper I think its one of the instances we're they're just guessing as much as us

Thanks. Yes, with those results my guess does not make any sense anymore. I wasnt able to realy keep track of what he has done and what not so i missed a couple points.

JasonSBE
07-19-2022, 05:11 PM

Problem:

Attempts:

Swapped Front Board
Latest Base Firmware
Replaced HV
Replaced PRCB
Replaced MFPB

Wiring:

and

Thank You for taking the time to structure this out. Only amendment I would make is that I did change out the toner for another OEM toner just to be on the safe side, but seeing how the mfp is not adding toner to the developing unit it is probably irrelevant. I'm not going to be looking at the machine today as I have some other equipment to stage up but I will update as soon as I get a chance to take a look at the steps you've come up with.

Albonline
07-19-2022, 08:30 PM
Thank You for taking the time to structure this out. Only amendment I would make is that I did change out the toner for another OEM toner just to be on the safe side, but seeing how the mfp is not adding toner to the developing unit it is probably irrelevant. I'm not going to be looking at the machine today as I have some other equipment to stage up but I will update as soon as I get a chance to take a look at the steps you've come up with.

I have one question for you .what do the bk drum and developer counts say? if you put a new odrum developer combo in should be 0 or close to it. the magnetic sensors differ greatly in sensitivity from unit to unit when new parts are detected the machine adjusts to the new density sensor.

JasonSBE
07-20-2022, 05:14 AM
I have one question for you .what do the bk drum and developer counts say? if you put a new odrum developer combo in should be 0 or close to it. the magnetic sensors differ greatly in sensitivity from unit to unit when new parts are detected the machine adjusts to the new density sensor.

I did not pull up that section of service mode whenever I installed the new drum and developer, but whenever I look at them in the consumable life page they were showing installed that day and full capacity.

JasonSBE
07-26-2022, 01:47 PM
Well..... still not solving this one. I followed Konica Minolta tech supports directions and replaced the HV and DV contacts. I also consulted with a former co-worker of mine that suggested a possible short to ground on the lead in the main drive that connects to the DV unit so I tried that as well. Still showing abnormally high developer density in the K unit. I'm starting to think this machine is cursed. I've never had this much trouble chasing down an issue on one of these 4e series machines.

techsxge
07-26-2022, 02:18 PM
Well..... still not solving this one. I followed Konica Minolta tech supports directions and replaced the HV and DV contacts. I also consulted with a former co-worker of mine that suggested a possible short to ground on the lead in the main drive that connects to the DV unit so I tried that as well. Still showing abnormally high developer density in the K unit. I'm starting to think this machine is cursed. I've never had this much trouble chasing down an issue on one of these 4e series machines.

well you know what? I have exactly the same situation, but instead of abnormally high developer density i have "black toner empty" message after basically replacing the whole machine. No matter what you swap, in other machines the error does not appear...

Something is off with the c454....

allan
07-26-2022, 06:31 PM

Did you rechiped the unit at any time?

JasonSBE
07-26-2022, 07:03 PM
Did you rechiped the unit at any time?

Nothing has been rechipped. The toner, drum, and developer are all oem.

Ado Mmoloki Moepedi
10-12-2023, 07:31 AM
Nothing has been rechipped. The toner, drum, and developer are all oem.

Where you ever able to solve the problem?

JasonSBE
10-13-2023, 03:48 PM
Where you ever able to solve the problem?

Sorry, I should have updated this thread. We could not resolve the issue. It happened shortly after a close lightning strike, so my user ended up filing an insurance claim, and we replaced the machine. Still frustrates me that I couldn't get this machine running correctly.

Albonline
10-16-2023, 01:33 PM
I'm not sure how the transfer belt would cause the TCR sensor to show such a high reading in the developing unit but I will check it 1st thing whenever I get to the office in the morning. Thanks. Any other suggestions for anyone?

Used supplies do not recalibrate the machine to the tds built into the developer unit.

Custom Search