PDA

View Full Version : Problem with konica minolta c258 drum units

Custom Search

enricocopyline
07-29-2022, 03:51 PM
I have a problem quite strange in my opinion in the drums of the konica minolta c258 series

the drums print like this

with a lot of testing I have found that the problem here is this part of the drum

Has anyone had this problem?

I cleaned the metal contact well but that doesn't seem to be the problem

Thanks

kingarthur
07-29-2022, 04:45 PM
I have a problem quite strange in my opinion in the drums of the konica minolta c258 series

the drums print like this

with a lot of testing I have found that the problem here is this part of the drum

Has anyone had this problem?

I cleaned the metal contact well but that doesn't seem to be the problem

Thanks

Have you tried converting a K drum to Colour, because thats similar to what happens if you don't change over that end piece.

enricocopyline
07-29-2022, 05:15 PM
Have you tried converting a K drum to Colour, because thats similar to what happens if you don't change over that end piece.

I have tried them all do you mean the difference between these two?

I know they are different but with one or the other it makes the same problem

tmmdmmm
07-30-2022, 12:47 AM

There are also spacers behind that piece that are different.
I forget which, but between K and CMY one of them has a single spacer and the other has two spacers.
As a rule of thumb, swap the blue piece, all 5 screws, that black piece you posted, and the spacers from one drum to the other to convert.
This picture is from a 4 series, but the idea is the same.
Compare what you have to the other drums that are not having this issue and go from there. Easy mistake to make when converting

copyman
07-30-2022, 03:24 AM
Also those silver contacts you cleaned I believe are supposed to have conductive grease on them where drum rod contacts them.

enricocopyline
07-30-2022, 02:49 PM
Also those silver contacts you cleaned I believe are supposed to have conductive grease on them where drum rod contacts them.

good copyman
I had the doubt about that contact with the grease that I cleaned not knowing I thought it was just dirty

the problem of the different between color and black ok I know but my problem I know a lot that it is more about that fat

Monday I'll do other tests

thanks

femaster
07-30-2022, 06:53 PM

The right side part (or bottom I guess because if you click the picture it rotates for some reason) is from a black drum. It has the spacer installed that has a larger gap. The part on the left (top if clicked) of the image I am going to assume is what you took off of the original color drum, but I can't say for sure as the spacer piece is missing from it. On this style end cap, that piece is adjustable and should NEVER be touched or have it's screws removed or even loosened. Unfortunately, now even if you were to reattach it, you are going to be there forever trying to get the gap adjusted correctly.

When removing an end cap on these, if it has 5 screws, you NEVER touch the 2 screws that hold that piece in place. They are the ones that are across from each other on opposite sides of the metal grounding plate and do not have the built-in "washer" on the screw head. Only remove the 3 screws with the wide head, leave the other 2 alone. If you want to resurrect this, you will need to find that missing piece, reattach it, and spend quite a bit of time dialing in the correct location so that the gap between the drum and development unit are correct. Only then will your color output be correct.

My advice at this point, reattach the part and look at one of the other color drums to try to get the gap on that drum correct.

enricocopyline
07-30-2022, 08:45 PM
The right side part (or bottom I guess because if you click the picture it rotates for some reason) is from a black drum. It has the spacer installed that has a larger gap. The part on the left (top if clicked) of the image I am going to assume is what you took off of the original color drum, but I can't say for sure as the spacer piece is missing from it. On this style end cap, that piece is adjustable and should NEVER be touched or have it's screws removed or even loosened. Unfortunately, now even if you were to reattach it, you are going to be there forever trying to get the gap adjusted correctly.

When removing an end cap on these, if it has 5 screws, you NEVER touch the 2 screws that hold that piece in place. They are the ones that are across from each other on opposite sides of the metal grounding plate and do not have the built-in "washer" on the screw head. Only remove the 3 screws with the wide head, leave the other 2 alone. If you want to resurrect this, you will need to find that missing piece, reattach it, and spend quite a bit of time dialing in the correct location so that the gap between the drum and development unit are correct. Only then will your color output be correct.

My advice at this point, reattach the part and look at one of the other color drums to try to get the gap on that drum correct.

on the piece without spacer installed there are two supports that I believe are not adjustable because there are no screws instead
on the one with the spacer installed with the two screws there is only one support that goes above the spacer (as in the photo of the post above)

femaster
07-30-2022, 11:46 PM
I'm not sure what supports you are referring to. From what I can see, they both look identical with the exception that the one has the full-size black spacer attached and the other doesn't.

The type of drum (color or B&W) is irrelevant to what I'm describing, and both can come with either type of spacer system. Unfortunately I don't have access to any parts to take sample pictures of since it's the weekend, so hopefully I can describe it in a manor that is understandable.

Essentially, there are 4 different styles of drums. The color drums have a spacer that is completely flat on the end that contacts the bearing on the development unit (see picture in tmmdmmm's post), and the black drum has a spacer that has a raised tab that sticks out (see your face plate that has the spacer still attached). The other difference is the style of spacer assembly that is used. These different styles can be found on both the color and black drums, which is what gives us essentially 4 different drums; 2 variations of color drums and 2 variations of black drums.

For the variations, some drums use a full sized adjustable spacer screwed to the face plate along with a single piece that slides onto the metal drum shaft and fills in the pointed opening on the top of the face plate (the style you have in your picture). The other style uses a smaller spacer where both the spacer and the pointed piece slide onto the metal drum shaft. With this style, the spacer is not adjustable, and there are no screw holes in the face plate where the full sized spacer would normally mount. It's easy to tell which you have once the blue handle is removed. The first style will have 5 screws and the second style will only have 3 screws under the handle. These variations can be on either drum, color or black.

When converting black to color, the style is irrelevant as well. Just move ALL the parts from the current color unit over to the black drum. If the face plate has 5 screws, only remove the 3 wide-head screws, leave the other 2 alone or the spacer will move and it will mess up the gap.

Custom Search