PDA

View Full Version : Bizhub C654e - Cyan imaging unit dying early?

Custom Search

Outlander Kyle
08-26-2022, 11:10 PM
I have been working with a c654e recently but had a c754e and got the same issue on both machines.

around 70% life my Cyan imaging units start to break at the top of the page. like it no longer supplies toner in wavy lines that slowly expand lower and lower on the page with use.

the weird thing about it is that if using the PLAIN paper setting, the imaging unit acts normally. its only on thick 1-thick4 that this error occurs.

picture attached - top is thick 1-thick 4. bottom is the same unit after the error occurred, on plain paper setting. imaging unit acts normal upon being replaced for about 30% of its life. This has happened the same exact way, on two separate machines, with about 4-5 Cyan imaging units. would like to avoid this and gain any insight - i know this is a known issue, hence the price of cyan IU's being so much more/having higher demand - TY

copyman
08-26-2022, 11:23 PM
I have been working with a c654e recently but had a c754e and got the same issue on both machines.

around 70% life my Cyan imaging units start to break at the top of the page. like it no longer supplies toner in wavy lines that slowly expand lower and lower on the page with use.

the weird thing about it is that if using the PLAIN paper setting, the imaging unit acts normally. its only on thick 1-thick4 that this error occurs.

picture attached - top is thick 1-thick 4. bottom is the same unit after the error occurred, on plain paper setting. imaging unit acts normal upon being replaced for about 30% of its life. This has happened the same exact way, on two separate machines, with about 4-5 Cyan imaging units. would like to avoid this and gain any insight - i know this is a known issue, hence the price of cyan IU's being so much more/having higher demand - TY

That is classic example of low developer. This happens mostly on Cyan for some reason and is more pronounced when running thick settings when machine runs slower. I would clean all the HV contacts, blow out with canned air, etc. Buy a bag of aftermarket developer and add some to the unit. Been doing this the last few years and bringing the image units back to life! Saving a lot of $$$$ not having to buy expensive image units!

Woxner
08-27-2022, 02:51 AM
This can happen when blk drum is left in too long. Same effect magenta and yellow affect each other. Remember all calibrations can be affected by blk. C759 are bad about this. Since i have repl blk drum on time i have not had this problem.

tmmdmmm
08-27-2022, 05:45 AM
This can happen when blk drum is left in too long. Same effect magenta and yellow affect each other. Remember all calibrations can be affected by blk. C759 are bad about this. Since i have repl blk drum on time i have not had this problem.

The biggest way we've resolved this is vacuuming the toner filter and cleaning all the HV contacts, between those two we stopped having CIUs fail prematurely. When it comes to the 554s and below (dev/drum combo) its the above as well as replacing anything near/over life. Also dropping TCR level setting to -1

copyman
08-27-2022, 01:46 PM
Good points by the other posters. ANY over life consumable can affect ANY other consumable. This can include image units, drums & transfer belt.

dbeyma
08-27-2022, 03:26 PM

Wow, That's exactly the same problem I'm having. 6 months ago I couldn't find one. How do you get the new developer into the end of the unit?

otphas
08-27-2022, 04:07 PM
You must open the imaging unit clean the corona and add 1-2 spoons developer . All will be fine than.

copyman
08-27-2022, 11:27 PM
Wow, That's exactly the same problem I'm having. 6 months ago I couldn't find one. How do you get the new developer into the end of the unit?

There should be instructions or videos online how to replace C654/C754 drum. This will show you how to split open the unit. Not hard once you do it a few times. Once you have it open you can clean corona & add some developer.

Outlander Kyle
08-28-2022, 11:08 PM
Thanks everyone, I want to note that I do not let my machines run parts past their life expectancy because I knew that that could happen.

Do you need to open the IU to add developer? is it supplied elsewhere? or do you only need to open the IU if changing the chip as well (as in, can you add developer to the opening/door in the IU) - I will look up a video, but i've only seen them opened up to replace chips/clean corona.

additionally, does anyone recommend a supplier for after market developer?

thanks!

dbeyma
10-10-2022, 07:51 PM
Thanks everyone, I want to note that I do not let my machines run parts past their life expectancy because I knew that that could happen.

Do you need to open the IU to add developer? is it supplied elsewhere? or do you only need to open the IU if changing the chip as well (as in, can you add developer to the opening/door in the IU) - I will look up a video, but i've only seen them opened up to replace chips/clean corona.

additionally, does anyone recommend a supplier for after market developer?

thanks!

Any updates on resolving this problem with the cyan IU's in the C654?
Maybe I'm not getting the right HV contacts cleaned properly.
This machine will be demoted to black if this problem with Cyan IU's keeps coming back.
It's driving me crazy. It seems every color print job I get is mostly cyan these days.:(

tech51
10-10-2022, 09:27 PM
The toner ducts that lead from the top of the iu to the filter can get blocked up causing this.
There is a jig available (in the UK anyway) that plugs into the toner filter socket and attaches to a vac. This clears out all the ducting and is quite effective. You would be surprised how much toner gets stuck in there.
The same jig also fits in any other machine with that type of filter.
I vac them using the jig and then replace the filter. This usually resolves the problem (until the ducts block up again).

copyman
10-10-2022, 10:55 PM
The toner ducts that lead from the top of the iu to the filter can get blocked up causing this.
There is a jig available (in the UK anyway) that plugs into the toner filter socket and attaches to a vac. This clears out all the ducting and is quite effective. You would be surprised how much toner gets stuck in there.
The same jig also fits in any other machine with that type of filter.
I vac them using the jig and then replace the filter. This usually resolves the problem (until the ducts block up again).

Is the jig from Kon/Min? Can you provide the part # or a picture.

Thanks

tmmdmmm
10-11-2022, 12:32 AM
This machine will be demoted to black if this problem with Cyan IU's keeps coming back.
It's driving me crazy. It seems every color print job I get is mostly cyan these days.:(

If I had any repeat offenders after cleaning the HV contacts I'd vacuum out the entire toner vent, replace any Belt/IU/Drum/Dev near life and drop Cyan TCR Level Setting to 0, it was the only way to guarantee it doesn't return. Never had to replace an HVB

positiveg
10-11-2022, 02:48 AM

ThanksYep would love to see the jig as well

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

femaster
10-11-2022, 02:48 AM

Thanks

Please see attached Bulletin.

tulintron
10-11-2022, 01:15 PM
Good Morning

tsbservice
10-11-2022, 04:08 PM
Yeah I had idea to use used filter body as transient element to vacuum hose but for pity's sake not enough time...besides jig is not that expensive :)

tech51
10-11-2022, 06:16 PM

Beat me to it but yes, that’s the one..

EarthKmTech
10-17-2022, 01:46 AM

Theres no permanent fix, preventative maintenance is essential on these, you must make sure the developer suction ports arent left blocked and the toner filter they feed to is not clogged.

I also set cyan tcr to -2 or -3

Another thing to watch out for - pretty much guaranteed to be an issue on your antique non e series - the ozone suction manifold under the IU has a sealing foam gasket around its perimeter. If this foams decomposed and gone all melty and sticky, you will be destroying Ius very regularly regardless of the above because of the accumulation of ozone not being removed.

Custom Search