PDA

View Full Version : C-3850, says Yellow toner is out, but its not...

Custom Search

Oystercopy
09-25-2022, 07:29 PM
Hey guys. I went in and disassembled that little board that contacts the chip on the toner cartridge, after replacing several toners in the machine with no luck.

Tried disconnecting, then formatting the HDD, no dice.

Thanks in advance,
OC

allan
09-25-2022, 07:38 PM
Does it reset the level indication?
Does the toner motor run at all?

Oystercopy
09-25-2022, 09:43 PM
Nope, none of the above. Yellow toner cartridge says "0" and the machine does not run; goes straight into yellow toner lockout.
I went into service mode to add toner, which the machine did, but never reset the indication.
OC

EarthKmTech
09-26-2022, 12:06 AM
the "chip" is just a resistor for region / type identification and a fuse for new article detection.

When the door is closed there should briefly be voltage present at the fuse and resistance detection pins. Also, is the fuse on the toner blown or not?

If you see nothing, find out why - is it the harness, connectors or is there nothing all the way back at the board? I have replaced boards for this exact issue too.

techsxge
09-27-2022, 07:37 AM
Have had (or currently have) this problem on a Olivetti A4 Machine. My Issue was that it wasnt actual original toner but some rebuilds from a olivetti contractor that also works for KM, 30% of their Chips dont work. Safest bet currently is to have a machine in the workshop and test the toner out before sending it to the customer.

Oystercopy
09-27-2022, 09:04 PM
Thanks for all that guys... but after 3 different OEM cartridges, it still would not reset. I'm leaning towards a board to be bad, but with the cost of these things dropping daily, the cost-effectiveness of having a board repaired/replaced becomes almost non-existent.
OC

techsxge
09-28-2022, 06:28 AM
Thanks for all that guys... but after 3 different OEM cartridges, it still would not reset. I'm leaning towards a board to be bad, but with the cost of these things dropping daily, the cost-effectiveness of having a board repaired/replaced becomes almost non-existent.
OC

have you done a firmware update already? That solves a lot of errors for me

kingarthur
09-28-2022, 04:52 PM
use engine dipswitch 5, as a workaround to reset the toner

Oystercopy
09-29-2022, 09:32 PM
use engine dipswitch 5, as a workaround to reset the toner

thanks for that, but the manual doesn't say anything about DS5 other than (it looks like) "03" is the default, where my machine was at "00" as the default.

Can you tell me, exactly what setting you change to make it reset the toner indication? And is that specifically for the YELLOW cartridge?
Thanks

techsxge
09-29-2022, 10:10 PM
I think we are jumping around in a dark corner. Can you please say exactly what the machines says? Does it literally say "Toner Bottle is empty" or does it just not show how much toner is left? Would be helpfull. And while you are at it, make a firmware update. Shit saved me lots of trouble already

Oystercopy
09-30-2022, 03:14 AM
I think we are jumping around in a dark corner. Can you please say exactly what the machines says? Does it literally say "Toner Bottle is empty" or does it just not show how much toner is left? Would be helpfull. And while you are at it, make a firmware update. Shit saved me lots of trouble already

OK, I think I was MORE than clear about what the error and message was... that is, if you properly read what I wrote about the issue. The error was "REPLACE Y TONER CARTRIDGE" and the machine never even tried to initialize,
run motors or anything.

However, all the F/W was already up to date, at the latest, and had been since I bought the machine and performed those updates. But I re-loaded the latest Controller and Engine anyway, just for giggles. Did nothing.

However, tonight I tried the FOURTH toner cartridge, brand new OEM (the others were OEM as well) and the machine took off.. NO IDEA why.. I guess these toner chips are just unreliable as hell and you never know when
you're gonna get a bad one.
OC

techsxge
09-30-2022, 04:49 AM
OK, I think I was MORE than clear about what the error and message was... that is, if you properly read what I wrote about the issue. The error was "REPLACE Y TONER CARTRIDGE" and the machine never even tried to initialize,
run motors or anything.

However, all the F/W was already up to date, at the latest, and had been since I bought the machine and performed those updates. But I re-loaded the latest Controller and Engine anyway, just for giggles. Did nothing.

However, tonight I tried the FOURTH toner cartridge, brand new OEM (the others were OEM as well) and the machine took off.. NO IDEA why.. I guess these toner chips are just unreliable as hell and you never know when
you're gonna get a bad one.
OC
For me, it looked like it could be emoty cartridge,, no toner recognition or cartridge in the machine but no display on how much is left. All typicall Errors.

However, please see what i write in answer #5, it is not like i didnt say this in the beginning.
Recently bought OEM are no OEM anymore. They're aftermarket toner with aftermarket chips and this causes known Problems

druid
09-30-2022, 06:52 AM
Go to Engine FW DIPSw and set switch#5

1.Turn ON the main power switch and connect the USB memory device to the USB port of the machine.
2.Call the Service Mode to the screen.
3.Touch [Loadable Driver Download].
4.The loadable driver data in the USB memory device is displayed in a list.
5.Select the loadable driver data to be downloaded and touch [Excute].
6.Touch [OK] to start downloading the loadable driver

5 Choice of toner empty recovery mode I.4.25.5 Details of Each Function - Choice of toner empty recovery mode

4.25.5 Details of Each Function - Choice of toner empty recovery mode
(1) Use
• To perform the auxiliary toner replenishing sequence when the old toner cartridge is replaced after a toner-empty condition.
• [OFF]: Not performed (default)
• [ON]: Performed
(2) Procedure
1. Touch [Service mode], -> [Engine FW DipSW].
2. Touch [5], select [ON], and touch [OK].
3. Touch [Close] and exit from the Service Mode

Custom Search