PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous Bizhub 283 Fax misbehaving

Custom Search

zodiaco
09-29-2022, 06:17 PM
Dear all,
The fax in my 283 started acting up. It's a well maintained low count 283 (97k pages as of today). Everything worked fine until 2 weeks ago, when the fax stopped working.
I am using a VOIP line from ATT.
Some days everything works fine, some days I won't hear a dial tone when I press "off hook" and no faxes are sent or transmitted. There is no error code.
If I reset the ATT modem, it works again for a little while, which is even more puzzling.
I have not made any changes to the fax setup inside the machine, however, we just recently switched to VOIP from a normal, "analog" line.
I am at loss as to what to do.
What would be your troubleshooting recommendation?
I am very grateful for any leads you may have for me.
Thank you!
Darius

davidmtupper
09-29-2022, 06:46 PM
The fact that resetting the VOIP box fixes things for a little while points to that as the culprit. There are settings that can be changed in both administrator mode and service mode to help with VOIP lines but the fact remains that fax and VOIP don't get along well.

zodiaco
09-29-2022, 07:17 PM
The fact that resetting the VOIP box fixes things for a little while points to that as the culprit. There are settings that can be changed in both administrator mode and service mode to help with VOIP lines but the fact remains that fax and VOIP don't get along well.

Thank you - what would be those settings? I am unable to get a new machine for now :(
Darius

davidmtupper
09-29-2022, 07:20 PM
This is what I have for KM copiers

Oystercopy
10-04-2022, 05:36 AM
I have one customer who still faxes a lot. Several years back, we went back and forth about the reliability of the machine, the phone line, etc. They were trying to send 150 pages faxes, and it would
cut off in the middle of transmission.
They were using a VOIP line also, and the provider kept telling them to have me fix the machine. It was never the machine.

The customer ended up having a POTL (Plain Old Telephone Line) installed, problems vanished. Some things just can't be duplicated
with a network phone line. I proved the machines worked fine by using a fax simulator in their office. Put their two KM's back to back, and transmitted hundreds of pages
between them, multiple times, without issue. These fax kits are basically bulletproof, if they're running on a reliable line.

Something to think about.
OC

Custom Search